LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Best Sounding Exhaust?? for a Ls1 Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Exclamation Best Sounding Exhaust?? for a Ls1 Z

Hey guys I need a nice sounding exhaust system,that gives some power too. ANY SUGGESTIONS? I do have a budget dont want to spend over $450 just signal exhaust no headers Thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Hooker aerochamber. cheap and sounds good. reasonable at idle and cruise for a streetcar too.

Even sounds good w longtubes.

It will run a bit over 450 tho. not much, but over.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2000 maroZ
Hey guys I need a nice sounding exhaust system,that gives some power too. ANY SUGGESTIONS? I do have a budget dont want to spend over $450 just signal exhaust no headers Thanks

If your looking for just a sound fix. the above should suit you well. But if you could afford to add 300 to your 450, i'd do what im about to do to my z by adding pacesetter LT's and the TSP True Dual kit. Sounds awesome and is gonna prolly give you the most in power. One reason i say this is because if you ever plan to mod the car in the future more your gonna need a good set of LT's, Why not do it now? ya know. Just my opinion though, either way they all sound good! it comes down to personal preference! Have fun making a good decision and dont beat on her too bad when you do put exhaust on it!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:26 AM

ok thanks how about a magnaflow cat back my friend said you cant go wrong with it?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Retired

Honestly, any kind of Y-pipe exhaust into a single muffler sounds terrible when compared to an X-pipe design.

The best type of aftermarket exhaust for an LS-based motor is true-duals with an X-pipe.

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=196
Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Retired

Soundclips of the Texas Speed Tru Dual Kit with Longtubes and a Futral Motorsports cam.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kraest
Honestly, any kind of Y-pipe exhaust into a single muffler sounds terrible when compared to an X-pipe design.

The best type of aftermarket exhaust for an LS-based motor is true-duals with an X-pipe.

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=196
This. I have it along with LT's and LOVE it. Get some pacesetter LT's for a budget build and you'll be very happy.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:53 PM

I picked up a slightly used full borla catback exhaust on craigslist for $400 shipped and I am very happy with the sound of it on my ls1.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 AM

I've got the Magnaflow and I'm happy with it. If I would trade my car for another 4th gen LS1 with stock exhaust or buy another 4th gen I would get Magnaflow again. I was able to get it cheaper at ecklerscamaro.com than summit, mid $400's range.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:32 PM

I've got the hooker system with the pacesetter LT's and I love it . It sounds like the bigblock chevelles and camaros from the 60's &70's . Not too loud for cruising around town and listening to the radio but when you get on it people will know it's not stock !
Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 PM

yeah i heard magnaflow is good but how about SLP Loudmouth catback?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by 2000 maroZ
yeah i heard magnaflow is good but how about SLP Loudmouth catback?
Honestly, though.. They all sound like crap and make less power when compared to a true-dual setup with an X-pipe -- I've had 2 F-bodies with tons of different exhaust on them -- both with a Y-pipe into a single muffler -- the only thing that sounded worth a **** was a 4" Mufflex.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:17 PM

On my 97 WS6 I had a 4" Radom tech. Cat with 4" all the way back to a 4" in and dual 2.5 out with 3" slp tips and slp long headers feeding that. It was not very loud at idel but when you got on it sounded awsome. Now as far as how much power it made have no clue the car had a lot of stuff done to it other than that.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:20 PM

I was big on slp loudmouth but after hearing gmmg theres no doubt gmmg sounds the best little bit on the expensive side $600-700 but its worth it. Its got a very deep muscle car rumble. My advice would be save up the extra cash and get the gmmg you wont be sorry.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:48 AM

When I was looking for a system, about 3 or 4 years ago, the SLP loudmouth was the only system I was seriously considering. The big guys like Borla, Corsa and B&B were too much money for me(or just more than I wanted to spend @ around 700 to 800 bucks) and I wanted stainless steel because I didn't want to be shopping for another system in about 6 or 7 years. SLP was the only stainless system in the $400 range. THEN I heard about MagnaFlow and I had a decision to make. I ended up going with MagnaFlow. It was mandrel bent, all stainless, and around $400 just like the SLP. It's not so much that I thought that MagnaFlow was better, but there were three reasons I decided against the SLP. First, I heard from a few people that it was LOUD, not too surprising considering it's name but it started putting thought's in my head about getting too much attention from 'the boy's in blue'. Second, I heard from some people that it had an annoying drone at highway speeds(this bothered me the most). Third, the muffler wasn't in the stock location, it was in front of the rear axle. It had a glasspac style resonater that was about 4.5 inches in diameter and 'looked' like it would be in the worst possible position under the car. It looked like it would decrease gound clearance by about an inch, maybe more. This made me think I'd be scrapping the muffler on every speed bump(maybe I'm totally wrong about that IDK).

Since then, SLP came out with the 'Loud Mouth II' which they claim reduces resonance and should answer one of my problems with the SLP's. Also, they now have their 'PowerFlo' mufflers that go in the stock location and take care of my ground clearance concern's, BUT that increases' the price to $600.

IF the gound clearance thing doesn't bother you OR it's all in my head and not really a problem, they are the cheapest mandrel bent/ all stainless system I can find at under $400 including shipping($375+$9.99 shipping). One last thing, the LoudMouth II says it's a bullet style race muffler that has reduced resonance. I don't know if they mean it's louder AND doesn't have that drone at highway speeds?

Quick Reply: Best Sounding Exhaust?? for a Ls1 Z