LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Best exhaust/ Best airlid

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 11:38 PM

Best exhaust/ Best airlid

1. I was thinking of putting new exhaust on my '00 WS6. What is the best? What do you have? What would you recommend?

2.What is the best airlid you can get, and where did you bye yours and how did you get it?

3. To be totally honest im ignorant when it comes to exhaust so could someone please enlighten me on the advantages/disadvatages/ definitons of cat backs, non-catbacks, off-road pipes, and stuff like that

I know that is alot but any answer would be apprietiated. thanks
Old 07-19-2005, 11:41 PM

Re: Best exhaust/ Best airlid

i forgot to say that i was kinda leaning towards Borla catbacks. Are they good or bad. i know they aint ugly. Thanks again
Old 07-20-2005, 12:50 AM

All depends on your budget. I have a 98 z28, I bought a magnaflow catback for it and am in the process of ordering an MTI clear lid. Magnaflow seems to be popular and sounds good, GMMG appears to be the king of the exhaust catagory, but thats all based on opinion. To check out how they sound go to www.ls1sounds.com and as far as the lid, from what I have read on this site is that a lid is a lid. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:56 AM

Don't know that there is a "best" lid. I used this article to help decide which lid to buy, went with SLP for price (89 off ebay new) & fit (excellent):

http://www.motorsporttech.com/press/...ay2004_02.html

Borla catbacks are good, but pricy. After weighing options (cost/sound/looks) I decided on a Magnaflow catback for $330 shipped:

http://www.geocities.com/angel71rs/M...?1118969789686

Catback: system that goes from the Y pipe end (under passenger seat) out to rear exaust exits. Advantages: more hp hopefully (flowmaster is reputed to be a hp loser), better sound, according to your taste (some are louder/raspier, some are mellower/deeper toned), better appearance ( also according to your particular taste).

Off road pipe: between the exaust manifolds and the catback are the catalytic converters and the Y pipe. An off road Y replaces these with pipe that doesn't have the flat crimps the factory puts on the stock pipes for clearance, and doesn't have the cats. No cats = off road use, legally. Advantage = more hp. Disadvantage = aforementioned legality issues, raspier sound with some catbacks, e.g. Loudmouth.

Read the exaust faq here for more info:

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=197694
Old 07-20-2005, 01:45 AM

I have the GMMG chambered exhaust and a Texas Speed airlid. GMMG sounds and looks absolutely awesome, and the TSP smoked airlid looks great. Just about all aftermarket airlids flow the same. For the best sound, either go with GMMG or true duals. Oh, and I also have stainless steel polished quad exhaust tips from fast-toys. Very

gmmginc.net

texas-speed.com
Old 07-20-2005, 04:48 AM

All air lids flow within the same range so just pick one base on how what you like. For an exhaust, you can't beat Magnaflow.. great sound, and outflows all other catbacks for only ~$350
Old 07-20-2005, 05:16 AM

Think about how you want your car to sound, because all exhaust systems sound different.

Mine was $200, flows well, is very light and actually gave me a noticeable power gain. It's loud, but that's expected with such a free-flowing system.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:33 AM

The borla gives you volume flexibility(plates for noise level) and looks and sounds the best to me, and mti's lid did the best in the gm high tech performance test in the may 04 issue.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:56 AM

Just get a lid. Look for used ones. I picked mine up for $50 w/IAT sensor and AIR filter.

Catback, again look at used. I see them all the time in great conditions for much less than new.
For a catback you really should look at your long term goals for the car. If you want the most out of it, skip the common catbacks that are a mere .25" larger than stock.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:46 PM

I'd save the money on the catback and just buy a muffler of my choice. You'll get sound and performance increase for half the money. Just my .02

Jerry
Old 07-21-2005, 03:30 PM

You won't get 10-15 hp from a muffler swap alone, but you can from a catback or a cutout.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:09 PM

Bassani
Old 07-21-2005, 04:52 PM

SLP LOUDMOUTH and SLP LID
Old 07-21-2005, 05:26 PM

I have a magnaflow, its not too loud but it give it a reallynice tone when you get on it, i have a MTI clear lid of ebay used for $70, and the clear lid just looks cool
Old 07-21-2005, 05:34 PM

There isn't really a single best for lid or exhaust

For a lid, get one that looks good to you, isn't expensive, and fits good. I honestly would stay away from SLP lids, as they usually don't have good fitment. I've had 0 problems with MTI lids

For exhaust, what part? Headers? Definetley go with at least MAC mids, but most prefer a nice set of long tubes. Hookers, Kooks, Pacesetters, and QTPs are just to name a few

Catback? GMMG is probably the 'best' sounding Y pipe setup you can get. But some people prefer Hooker setups, some people prefer Borla, some people prefer Flowmaster. Exhaust is really something you need to hear in person and ride in somebody elses car. Text on these lovley message boards can't put sound in your ears, and most videos I listen to don't do the car justice in terms of how it sounds on video vs real life

True Duals? That's my personal favorite. No rasp, better power through the curve, and a bit more unique than most exhaust setups for these cars. I'll never go back to a raspy Y pipe now that I fabbed my duals up

Hope that helps a little

Quick Reply: Best exhaust/ Best airlid