BBK
21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

BBK vs. LS6 (Intake Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 08:24 AM

Re: BBK vs. LS6 (Intake Manifold)

Originally Posted by slayer6x6
Are we still talking about the BBK, because the BBK is only around $425.
Yeah, then you have to spit out more money for the TB because your stock one won't work with that setup.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by teke184
"Are we still talking about the BBK, because the BBK is only around $425."

and you can find a used LS6 intake for about $300 or less
gee, i know someone that can sell you a ls1 intake off a 2002 camaro, adds 15rwhp.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:13 PM

"Are we still talking about the BBK, because the BBK is only around $425."

and you can find a used LS6 intake for about $300 or less
Haha, its funny you mention that. A few months ago I bought an LS6 from a board member here and when I got the thing in the mail it was broken! Luckily he was an honest guy and refunded my money.

So if I decide to get the LS6, I will be buying it new.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:55 PM

I would suggest that an intake broken during shipping is not the norm. These things are pretty tough. I'd say it was poor packaging or abuse on the shipping agency's end.

Keep in mind that you can take the Fast LSx intake apart and port it. This has been attempted with the factory intakes (shortening runners, etc) and always fails, but on the Fast LSx there is more power available this way.

Two more things to muddy the water,

On a large displacement motor a ported LSx was installed and tested against an LS2 intake and power remained the same, torque decreased VERY slightly.

The fastest "bolt on" car in the country runs a 90/90 FAST intake. That's a bolt-on car with stock heads & cam.

Ben T.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:21 PM

Well considering the mods that I have, the Fast would probably be way overkill for me.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:39 AM

on a 420hp crate LS1, the FAST intake only made 1hp more than the LS6 intake...

so unless you are building a REALLY crazy H/C, stroker or FI, there isn't much to be gained that the LS6 won't accomplish.

just my $.02
I don't know where you got that info from, because there have been countless tests on LSX vs LS6 intakes, and the LSX makes on average, 12rwhp over the LS6 with moderate power (cam-only) I've got the 70mm on my TA, and it was a vital piece that got me to 11.75 @ 115, boltons only. At the time, I was like #32 or so in the nation for bolt-on LS1s. And that was with a fullweight car. So yeah, LSX's are definintely worth it. I just recommend getting a used one (picked mine up for $500)
Old 12-05-2005, 06:42 AM

it was in one of the national chevy mags, GMHTP or whatever the abreviation is, and it tested the LS1, LS6, Weiand, LQ9 truck, and the FAST.

they ran it on a 420hp crate LS1, on an engine dyno.

the LS6, truck and FAST all made within 1hp and 2-3#s of torque. they ran them up to 6400rpms i think.

the weiand showed little gains over the LS1, but did show promise in the upper rpms.

even though the LS6 and the FAST were nearly the same, they did see that the LS6 was reaching it's max efficient rpm. suggesting that above the 6400 rpm level the FAST or the Weiand would show better results.

this was an article run when the FAST was just hitting the shelves.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:52 AM

it was in one of the national chevy mags, GMHTP or whatever the abreviation is, and it tested the LS1, LS6, Weiand, LQ9 truck, and the FAST.

they ran it on a 420hp crate LS1, on an engine dyno.

the LS6, truck and FAST all made within 1hp and 2-3#s of torque. they ran them up to 6400rpms i think.

the weiand showed little gains over the LS1, but did show promise in the upper rpms.

even though the LS6 and the FAST were nearly the same, they did see that the LS6 was reaching it's max efficient rpm. suggesting that above the 6400 rpm level the FAST or the Weiand would show better results.

this was an article run when the FAST was just hitting the shelves.

I understand your desire to believe what you read, but you should know that's not always the case. There's articles out there that claim they get 10hp from an aftermarket MAF. Magazines only print what they want to, and they can be as biased as they want. The best info to go by is real-world info: getting the dirt from guys who have done the swaps themselves. I know there's at least a couple of testaments on Tech of guys that switched over and made nice numbers. And hell, what do they have to lie for? They're not trying to sell a product, just spitting the truth. So yeah, not trying to start anything, I just think you should give it a thought
Old 12-08-2005, 10:14 PM

There is a test of the new BBK intake in the new issue of Chevy Hi Performance. The numbers looked pretty impressive and according to the article there was not much difference in heat soak between the aluminum BBk and the composite LS6. There is however about a significant weight penalty with the BBK, dont remember the numbers but it was 20-25#. Good luck.
John
Old 12-08-2005, 10:47 PM

Which Fast intake are you guys referring too? It must be the 78mm because every dyno test I've seen with the 90mm, you gain 10-15rwhp over the ls6.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by RS Dragster
I understand your desire to believe what you read, but you should know that's not always the case. There's articles out there that claim they get 10hp from an aftermarket MAF. Magazines only print what they want to, and they can be as biased as they want. The best info to go by is real-world info: getting the dirt from guys who have done the swaps themselves. I know there's at least a couple of testaments on Tech of guys that switched over and made nice numbers. And hell, what do they have to lie for? They're not trying to sell a product, just spitting the truth. So yeah, not trying to start anything, I just think you should give it a thought
Yes, and I'm sure there are also some shops that do little dyno tweaks for more hp or suspension tweaks on a car for better ETs so the car will show a higher gain than real world so they can sell more of a certain part. And I'm sure ther are people who want to pump up their gains to rationalize spending over $1000 for an intake and TB. The theory can go both ways. Not saying thats the case, but since we're getting hypothetical....

IMO, over $1000 for 10-15 hp is damn steep, but I'm also not wanting to run with the big dogs.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 12-09-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:29 AM

Not worth the money. The advantage of the F.A.S.T. intake is that it is modular and allows you to take it apart for porting. Out of the box, the 78mm version won't outperform an LS6 intake by much at all. Of course you will see gains with the 90 mm intake but at that point you're upgrading the intake and the throttle body.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:29 PM

BBK Vs. FAST Vs. LS6

I JUST got through putting a BBK intake on my car today, but yet to even crank it up yet so no track/dyno comparisions. It looks badass though.

To answer a few questions I saw. The BBK intake will work with the stock throttle body.You also have the option to use a bbk 85 or n/w 90mm Tbody. Ill do some pros and cons.

BBK Pros
1) stronger material, aluminum. (good for us heavy nitrous users, or if you are concerned about a backfire destroying a plastic intake like the LSx or 6)
2) comes in two pieces, the bottom part unbolts so a machine shop could port-match it very easily.
3) No modifications required to the coolant lines or anything else for people upgrading from an LS1 intake.

Cons
-It is aluminum so of course it will hold in more heat. But enough to make a drastic difference on performance? Hell no. It might affect it some.
- Its also a little heavier then an LSX/LS6 intake. By mabey 15-20lbs Im guessing.

Now all three intakes are GREAT intakes. The LS6 has proved it. The biggest reason the LSx is better then the LS6 is becaus it can be taken apart like the bbk and fully ported. I have a friend makeing almost 500hp on motor with an LS6 intake.. I myself probabily wouldnt change from an LS6 intake to anything else unless I wanted to port-match the intake becaus it does flow so good..... If you plan to go a little crazy later down the road I would weigh my options between the LSx or BBK or even the weiland which is similiar to the BBK. Otherwise, the LS6 is a pretty awsome intake not worth upgrading from i nalot of cases. I probabily wouldnt have bought my BBK If my car came with an LS6 intake, but mine had a crappy LS1 intake to upgrade from.

Last edited by MakoLS1; 02-25-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:53 PM

1. Are you guys saying the BBK is 10-15 lb HEAVIER than the LS6?!
2. Everybody is talking about heatsoaking, he said he is going to paint the LS6 intake. Would that not hold heat in?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by MakoLS1
I probabily wouldnt have bought my BBK If my car came with an LS6 intake, but mine had a crappy LS1 intake to upgrade from.
And that is why mine wears a FAST 78mm with a ported stock TB. My car came with a LS1 intake so when I went H/C I had the option to go LS6 for ~$400 or try the new LSx for $625.

Quick Reply: BBK vs. LS6 (Intake Manifold)