LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Automatic versus Manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 03:03 PM

Post Automatic versus Manual

Hey,

I'm looking to get a 2002 SS fairly soon. I'm weighing out the pro's and con's for the transmission. As far as actual performance and speed goes (quarter mile as an example), what's the differences? I've heard rumors that when you have this much power, the automatic transmission is faster, because of it's ability to switch faster than a person.

If I got a mod chip and a laptop setup, I could adjust the exactly when the gears change, and get this optimized. Would this be the way to go?

Another thing I'm taking into consideration is the convenience factor. There's quite a bit of traffic around here, so I think a manual would become a nuscence after a while.

Any input is greatly appreciated...
Thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-17-2002, 03:31 PM

Just buy what you like. Sure its cooler to say I have a 6-speed, and they are more fun to drive, but dealing with traffic especialy if you put a heavier clutch in gets really old really fast(I avoid trafic jams if possible). As for performance: IMO if you are not planning on some serious mods for an a4, and you know how to shift, the 6 speed is better.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:52 PM

Automatic. I have an M6 and would much rather have an auto. If you live in town and have an traffic, the stick gets old soon.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:59 PM

Talking

Here we go again!!

It's all personal pref. Given the right driver and gears each car can be made very fast.

I am all about fun factor and "this is my opinion" but why would you want to own a sports car with an automatic trans? Row'ing the 6-speed is so much fun. I hate just pressing the gas and holding on. Traffic?? You still have to stand on the brakes in traffic, lets face it traffic sucks either way.

***steps back, puts on flame suit***
Old 06-17-2002, 04:00 PM

You'll get diverse opinions on this.

I choose A4 this time (past was a 5-spd 5L and a 6 spd ZR-1) for convenience and reliabilty with these engines. If you have a 6-spd, more than likely, if you drive hard, you'll need an aftermarket clutch to hold up to the task (most guys do). Besides, throwing a Torque convertor with a higher stall leads to massive track gains...

------------------
2000 Pewter SS #C161
SLP Dual-Dual, Bilstein suspension, Eibachs, 21mm/35mm swaybars, GMAF
SLP CAI w/lower plate, !EGR, Direct-Flo, SLP STB, Ported TB, ASP Crank pulley
SLP/AAM Differential cover, SLP 2600, Powershot, MSD wires, NGK's,
BMR Boxed LCAs, BMR PHB, G2 DSL, Heavy Lead Foot...
http://community.webshots.com/user/murlynd
Old 06-17-2002, 05:55 PM

Exclamation

The new style (4L60E) automatics seem (this can be a whole argument on its own) to blow up more often than old (ie: TH350 / TH400) automatics - IMO, not to sound cliche, but they just don't build 'em like they used to. Some people will say that you can have a "bullet-proof" 4L60E transmission built, but I still think an old one will take more repeated abuse.

HOWEVER, if you don't plan on racing your car every week, and driving the $h!t out of it all the time, then the new auto will hold up fine. But if you know that you're an abusive driver, then you may want to consider the six speed (T-56) transmission. Sure, you may have to replace the clutch eventually, but it's roughly ~$500 for a new clutch vs. ~$1500 for a new auto tranny.

In the end, it comes down to what YOU WANT. I've had both, and I know that I still want a standard, but some people don't care to do all the work themselves, so the automatic is an option.

And in regards to drag racing? With a good driver, the standard will usually be faster at the track (as long as you have traction). Two reasons (IMO): standards usually come with lower gear ratios, and there are also more gears from first to fourth than from first to Drive (4th/Drive = 1:1 ratio inside tranny), therefore, the engine can stay higher in its powerband with standard, which helps keep more power going to the ground and hence, quicker/faster times at the track.

If anyone disagrees with this, feel free to post, but one solid example to prove this is my dad's '69 SS 350 which used to run 13.0 - 13.1 with a 4-speed, but dropped to 13.4 - 13.5 when he switched to an automatic with the exact same engine and gears.

HTH.

------------------
1996 Sunfire coupe - 2.2L, M5 - performance mods?? Needs too many to list!!

1981 Z28 - sold Aug. 2000 - why? I don't know!
- 383 stroker, TH350 trans., 3.42 posi
Pics
Old 06-17-2002, 06:02 PM

I like the automatic b/c I hate shifting gears in traffic. Considering I dont race, the extra benefits of a standard are unimportant to me. I still have a blast with the automatic.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:27 PM

if your going to drive like crazy, first i would reccomend getting an older car, I would get like a '98 which is 1rst year with LS1. that way you can get the car for like $18k and you will have money for mods and repairs. $18k is close to half the price of a 2002. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one, they both have pro's and con's. I wish i could have both. i've had my M6 for 7 weeks and shifting does get old but i like it because you have total control. i raced a formula with an auto last night and he had exhaust modded so i just tried to keep up and i had no problem.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:53 PM

The auto. trans. are be far more consistent, but I think the manual is sportier.

Jason~

------------------
1998 Z28. Artic White.
  • SS hood
  • Sport Appearance pkg.
  • Ported, Polished MAFH
  • Free ram air Mod.
  • Flowmaster Exhaust
  • Custom Stainless tips
  • T-tops
  • Fully loaded
Old 06-17-2002, 11:28 PM

I've had A4's before & now have a M6. In traffic I don't like the M6 but for everything else the M6 is more fun. For drag racing though A4 all the way....

------------------
2002 SOM WS6 Trans Am
Former 2001 Camaro SS
Former 2000 WS6 Trans Am
Former 1998 Firebird-no pics
Old 06-18-2002, 05:57 AM

I have a 2001 Z28 A4 and a 2000 SS with a 6-speed. I honestly couldn't choose if I had to. Both have positives and negatives, what will you doing with the car? How much drag racing?

I bought the Z28 with a Auto because its main purpose will be racing. Autos are WAY faster modded than a 6-speed from a stop. The 6-speed is way more fun for a cruise though. If you are not going to be doing heavy track use and you have a daily driver I would do the 6-speed.

------------------
2001 Pewter Camaro Z28 A4 with 2.73 gears: $187 in mods: 12.59 @ 109.7mph w/ 1.92 on stock Eagle Ga's
Best MPH: 110.4

2000 Pewter Camaro SS M6: Basic bolt-ons. Best ET: 13.26
Best MPH: 109

1999 Yamaha R1: Mig Carbon pipe, undertail kit.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:50 PM

i've had both, and getting rid of the auto was the best thing i ever did. not to mention i have heard of people having trouble with these new autos at 12,000 miles. if you dont mind the trouble go with the auto.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:07 PM

Exclamation

Trouble can be found on both side of this debate/discussion. Most guys having trouble with the A4 are running mid-10 and faster. Those are high profile cases (meaning you hear these stories everywhere due to people pushing the LS1 limits). The T56s usually have problems if you are running mid-12s and faster, but everyone expects this, so it is not so high profiled. Also look at the fastest LS1 F-bodies = A4s. As stated, A4s are quicker in the 1/4 than M6, bar none. The guy that said his Fathjer's car ran slower, true but that was using a Muncie vs. a TH-350, right? I thought so. The 4L60E are much better than the TH350/400 and especially the TH700-R4s, plus they are more effiecient. Especially since they have better gears than the TH350/400 (4L60(E) gears: 1st = 3.06, 2nd = 1.63, 3rd = 1.00, 4th = 0.70). I can consistently out 1/4 a similarly equipt M6, although the M6 will be faster (traps higher MPH), but it's too late since I cross the line first.

M6s are great, I was just pointing out the good sides to an A4, just as every M6er will do with the M6. Those that say "I like driving my car, that's why I have a manual. With autos ... it's just point and shoot/hang on". Well, last time I checked, both M6 and A4 drivers still have to brake, still have to negotiate turns. It is technology moving forward. I'll stop my preaching now.

------------------
George P. Lara
1984 Z28
2001 SS #0391

SCCA, SC3G, GS3, SCFB, SSOA #M01-0391
Old 06-19-2002, 07:35 PM

What's all this trouble with the auto stuff? Let me tell you this. My car has seen an absolute beating since 900 miles, it now has 23,7xx and the tranny does need a freshening. Reason being? How does close to 100 passes and countless full throttle blasts on the street sound? To call these things weak is simply not the case.

If you're going to mod and mod heavy, A4 all the way. Don't get me wrong, I love M6's, but DO NOT discredit the A4, especially in these cars.

------------------
Rapid Motorsports
www.TheFBodyShop.com
1999 Hugger Orange Z28 w/sports appearance package
A4, 4.10's, Whisper Lid, Hooker Cat-back, Vigilante 4500, !EGR, !Air Pump, FLP Longtubes, y-pipe (offroad pipes), Lunati Cam, LS6 Intake, SLP 85mm MAF, Ed Wright Custom Tuning

Best ET. 11.82 @ 114 - Full weight, drag radials
Old 06-19-2002, 07:48 PM

My 2 cents on this my buddy has a Auto 00 WS6 and he's at 3200 rpm at 90 mils per hour in 4th gear while I have the 00 6sp manual SS and I am at 2100 at 90 miles an hour...i like my stick, but sometimes Auto seems like it hauls more, just sometime, all you have to do is floor it, while with stick you know you have to wanna haul *** by knowing which gear to downshift in at the right times....

Quick Reply: Automatic versus Manual