LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Auto vs 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 06:43 PM

Arrow Auto vs 6 speed

Okay I know this may start some arguments but I am going to be getting a SS soon but I can't decide if I want a auto or six speed? The reason I say this is because I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and we have a lot of traffic and I think it would just get anoyying having to shift every five seconds in traffic. But the idea of having a M6 sounds like fun. Which is more reliable, M6 or A4? I am going to admit I am not the greatest with a manual but I can drive around okay with it. I guess I would learn and it would not be so bad. But I need some opinions. Is a M6 really faster then a A4? I know more then half are going to say it comes down to the driver and I figure I will go to some high performance driving school to learn some things. But I would think that an average driver with an auto vs an average driver with a M6, that the guy with the auto would win just because the average driver would not be able to get through the gears quick enough. If I am wrong please correct me. One last thing I want to say is that I would race the car down the 1/4 and even on a few road tracks given the chance. Along with the friday night street race! ANyway I really want some honest information so I can make the decision.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:52 PM

If you are going to do any other racing other than in a straight line, get the stick. No point waiting for a car to downshift coming into or out of a corner. I believe a stick is the only way to go for a sport car but it is a pain in the *** in traffic but I don't care because I have so much fun when I finally get out of traffic and get to pick my gears. You will have fun with which ever you get. I say get the manual.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:03 PM

I ordered my Formula with the 6spd. I really don't have any regrets, I've driven an automatic 35th SS and while the auto's launch easier ,I just didn't feel as connected to the car as I do with the manual. Sometimes I wish I had an auto (very few) But after bangin gears for awhile I come back to my senses.
BTW I have had ZERO problems with the 6spd and 72,000 miles on the original clutch.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:31 PM

Cool

If you want quicker 1/4 times get the A4 The A4 OWNS at the track but the M6 usually wins at higher speeds (such as freeway racing).I drive my car like a grandma around town and beat the crap out of it at the track.So an A4 is PERFECT for me and I wouldn't trade for a M6 for anything.
Kevin
Old 01-23-2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by nikkev
If you want quicker 1/4 times get the A4 The A4 OWNS at the track but the M6 usually wins at higher speeds (such as freeway racing).I drive my car like a grandma around town and beat the crap out of it at the track.So an A4 is PERFECT for me and I wouldn't trade for a M6 for anything.
Kevin
What he said.
A4, NA, Stock motor. 12.15 @ 111.30
Old 01-23-2003, 07:48 AM

IMO, 6-speeds make the car more fun....
Old 01-23-2003, 03:11 PM

I like the auto, but I know I could squeeze off better times with the 6 spd, so I would recommend it. Some stock 6 spd LS-1s run the 1/4 in 12.8s, and I have yet to see a stock auto run that well. Add in the fun factor, and your decision should be made.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:19 PM

Having owned both, the 6spd is much more fun! But somewhat less consistant at the track. My brother had an A4 as well in his '95 and I could always pull him a bit (my 6spd) on the street at that point we had the same mods. But off the line it was hit and miss depending on how I launched, once I got that figured out....he could hardly ever take me.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:48 PM

If I were you, I would go with the A4 because of the traffic situation.

As for what is more reliable.
On the A4 you have a greater chance of blowing the tranny, on the M6 you have a greater chance of blowing the rear. Both cost about the same to replace with bullet proof products so you can throw that out the window.

So you gotta ask yourself, are you gonna be racing or just joy riding, and if your racing is it going to be at the drag strip or as an autoX? At the drag strip, go with the A4, in autoX go with the M6. And again take into consideration the traffic, nothing made me smile more than when i drove my friend to pick up his M6, after about an hour of traffic, he looks out the window and said "damn my leg is starting to hurt" I smiled back and said "why, my leg doesn't hurt " I am happy with my A4
Old 01-23-2003, 03:50 PM

I agree with XKnightRider my first camaro was an automatic sold that then got the M6 its great i wouldnt ever go back to automatic i love being able to choose the gear i want even though yes the take off is a bit tricky but hey you'll get the hang of it, and in heavy traffic it doesnt bother me its just like programemd now you dont even notice shifting.... but hey go with what best suits your needs.... later
Old 01-23-2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by 2002 NBM Bird
And again take into consideration the traffic, nothing made me smile more than when i drove my friend to pick up his M6, after about an hour of traffic, he looks out the window and said "damn my leg is starting to hurt"
Sounds like your friend needs to spend some time in the gym- build up that clutch foot. I'm in Northern Virgina and we rank right up there with our lousy traffic, but I've never suffered more than simple discomfort after shifting through traffic (but my last 3 cars/truck have all been manual). But remember, you are not always in traffic. After that, the fun begins. But now, San Francisco also has a lot of hills right? A manual might not be a lot of fun if you are trying to get a handle on mastering a clutch. Still, manuals are fun.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:03 PM

both versions are great performance applications. Stock for stock the m6 is gonna be better performance wise, but some dr's, a shift kit, and a large stall= better have a good m6 driver. I drive an m6 and had to put a new clutch in @ 30k miles (yes i know how to drive) bought the car used so don't know what the last driver did with it. i went ahead and put the zo6 clutch, and 3.73's in the rear, besides the shifter which in my opinion is a bit sloppy (till i get the b&m ripper) i have 0 complaints. The car is hella fun to drive especially with 3.73's outback; and when u start slamming gears, and spin up tires and swing the rear end; nothing compares to that. It's gonna take u a while to learn the shift schimatic, and your gonna learn quick that the ls1 likes to be in the correct gear all the time. or you will suffer on the performance end. i say get whatever your most happy with, i choose a manual because i've been driving manual since i've been driving. So it's an everyday thing to me.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:15 PM

Wink

If you "really" have to ask this question then you want an A4. I have to deal with a TON of traffic where I live in the NW suburbs right outside of Chicago and it makes NO difference to me whatsoever. Granted I'm only 22, but I knew the M6 was the ONLY way to go for me right now after having previously owned an A4. Honestly, if you really want a manual transmission car, go for it(the pros FAR outweigh the cons). And it only gets better with an M6 LT1/LS1. If you still have doubts, then I'm sure you'll be happy with the A4.

Mike

2002 M6 Z28
Old 01-23-2003, 08:45 PM

M6 = 6 times the fun. As far as legs beginning to hurt and crap, grow some muscles and drink some friggin water. I've driven my camaro around town for hours before and never had a single ache or pain from working the clutch and I'm definitely no body builder. Oh and BTW roadracer247, I live in Boise, ID during the summers at home, while in school I'm also out in the bay area down at Santa Clara University... and I can't wait to get my car out here in the spring. Just gotta take 280 instead of 101 up and down the peninsula to keep it fun In terms of drag racing, I don't think you can really 'go wrong' with either choice... you can always switch out the automatic's gear ratio to match up or beat an M6. But autocross, go M6 or go home.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:58 PM

All around use as a sports car the M6 is the only option. You can autocross, road race or drag race. It's also a heavy duty tranny that is used in the Viper (Different input shaft I think) and Corvette. Unless you drive in town 90% of the time I'd get the stick. You can do anything an auto can do and more. If you're only interested in drag racing get the auto. Personally I couldn't own a sports car with an auto as you just can't have the full potential of fun and control of the car.

Quick Reply: Auto vs 6 speed