LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Asr off abs inopt

Old 05-23-2009, 05:30 PM

Asr off abs inopt

What the hell did the previous owner do to my car. Everey time I start it these lights remain on and I cant turn ASR button on. I think he has it so the ASR is always off but what about the ABS light> I just want to put it back to stock and be able to override the ASR with the button. I already checked behind the ASR button for the SLP override but nothing back there.
Please help
Old 05-23-2009, 05:55 PM

Most of the time it means you have a bad ground, check all the ground wires. I went crazy a couple of years back trying to figure out the same thing, couldn't turn ASR on and ABS inop lght would never shut off. After weeks of investigating i found a ground wire not bolted up to the chassis, i said "no way" to myself and sure enough, everything went back to normal It also happened to me very recently after my heads and cam swap, i forgot to bolt up a couple of ground wires and got the same lights again.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:33 PM

Really? I hope thats all it is. Where do you suggest that I start. Also Is the light on the ASR switch supposed to be on cause when I push the switch it does nothing. I think something was tampered with somewhere. I also looked in the fuse panel in the engine bay and saw the 20A TCS BAT fuse missing. So I put that in hoping it would solve the problem but it did nothing.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:50 PM

Start from the engine bay, just look around for the black wires bolted to the frame, make sure none of the mare loose. Check the ones by the shock towers.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:16 AM

When I swapped my motor we accidently yanked the wires from one of the wheel sensor plugs. We repaired it, but every once in a while my car does the exact same thing you are describing. I would just check them for corrosion by unplugging them and looking.

Also, if he had one of those reversel harness for the Traction Control, I think they plug directly into the switch, so it shouldn;t be hard to find.

-Geoff
Old 05-25-2009, 08:43 PM

Yes I looked behind the switch but saw nothing there just the wires. Yesterday however I had added a 20a fuse into the slot that says tcs bat then pulled the negative bat cable in hopes that it would reset everything. When I started the car same lights were on. Took it for about a 5 mile ride and still on. Later on that night I took the car for a long ride and brought it up to highway speeds and after about 8 miles or so the lights went off. They didn't come on again for the rest of the hour ride. Do u think it took a while for the system to reset and it really was just that fuse? I hope its off for good. Any feedback for you guys would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:36 AM

More than likely that's what happened, it usually takes a whille for a check light to clear itself, you can always take it to advance auto scan it to see a history of codes you threw.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:53 AM

what is advance autoscan
Old 05-26-2009, 09:33 AM

Advance Auto is a parts store. They have a scanner they can use on your car to scan and clear codes with.

I think Auto Zone has one too if thats closer to you.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:43 AM

Yes I have an autozone here, Will they do that for you free or do you have to pay them for it
Old 05-26-2009, 12:20 PM

It's free.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 AM

i think that's common, alot of ppl pull the fuse to disarm ASR so they don't have to push the damn button everytime.

I may do it to mine, felt like a retard yesterday leaving a gas station and some chicks in a mustang threw me some revs so I got on it and my car made this horrid sound and I realized traction control was on. I've done that on more then one occasion!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:13 AM

Its hard to say for sure what the problem is, but checking wiring is always a good start. There are several abs codes so it could be one of many things. Also, Autozone and Advanced Auto parts have scanners to scan engine codes. ABS handheld scanners have just recently hit the market and from talking to a few parts stores roughly a month ago,they do not have one available to use on customers cars. I ended up buying on my own dime. They can run anywhere from 200-350.00 dollars right now depending on what capabilities it has and what manufacturer it is. Otherwise, you will have to take it to a shop that has a scanner and can pull ABS codes, you may have to pay the shop a diagnostic fee. I am guessing the traction is disabled due to there being an ABS fault, pretty common on GM makes as the two systems are usually tied together.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I will take it to an autozone this weekend to see if I can get a scan. I am still hoping it does not come on again since I put that fuse in.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:08 PM

Mine did this same thing when i bought it and it ended up being the electronic brake control module which is a very costly part from GM (to the tune of $1100 at employee cost). I purchased one off a 02 z28 at a local salvage yard for $125 and had it installed at the local ls1 shop for $75 (1 hour labor minimum). Definately get it scanned and read the code. The only problem is auto zones scanner will not read body control module codes, which is where these warning lights are going to be found. You will need to take it to a GM dealer or find someone with access to a GM Tech II autoscanner. Diagnostic fee is generally around $95 since they do a one hour minimum for diag most places. Some places will only charge around $45 for just a scan. Just call around to the local salvage yards and chevrolet dealers, you can easily get this done for around $250-$300 if it is indeed the problem. Apparently this is very common on the ls1 f-bodies. You can easily install the ebcm yourself, its four hex head screws on the front of the ABS block and one ecu plug. I can take pictures and give you exact install directions if need be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Asr off abs inopt