LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Anyone have T-Tops That Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 07:24 PM

Exclamation Anyone have T-Tops That Leak?

I had a friend with T-Tops and subframe connectors a year later his T-Tops would leak.

I thought subframe connectors were suppose to be prevent leaks.
Does anyone have similar problems?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-21-2003, 08:31 PM

I don't have SFCs yet, but my Tops leaked almost constantly. I took the car to the dealer four times and finally got a good fix, because I have not had any leaks in the past three months. According to the service slip, they installed new window seals and realigned the power windows. I hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:45 PM

Mine leaked when I got it and the car was totally stock.
I took it to a dealership and they covered the work under
warranty. However after putting some new lip things, some
sealant crud and aligning my windows, one still leaks a bit.
It is better than what it was. It took four days for all that work too. I decided to just not drive it in the rain and to be careful when I wash it.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:53 PM

Question for you guys:

When you're driving in the rain, do you ever get water coming inside of your driver's side window from the rear, trickle down into that rubber lining at the bottom, and then make its way to the front of the rubber lining and trickle down somewhere, without spilling over the side?

This happens to me when it's rains sometimes and it happened today. I'm thinking this might be the reason why my driver's door speaker is distorted and needs to be replaced. Maybe that water is leaking inside the door and getting all over the speaker.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:34 PM

Cool

No leaks whatsoever. So far... No SFC's or other mods.

***knocks on wood***

TS
Old 07-22-2003, 03:35 PM

Smear a thick coat of silicone grease on all the seals it should clear things up.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:36 PM

I took the V6 Camaro to the body shop one time when water was leaking in. He made the power windows go up a tiny bit more so that it would make a firmer seal where the window meets the t-top. It was a quick job he didn't even charge me for. He said that it is a very common thing on cars with t-tops.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:04 PM

Well, I think I found out why my window is leaking water during the rain. The weatherstripping where the water is coming in has a very small tear in it (almost as long as a staple), and that's where I think the water is coming in.

Should I superglue the crack/tear or use something else to repair it?
Old 07-22-2003, 07:33 PM

Regularly, mine don't leak. But with a power washer aimed right at the seal, a little gets in.

But, mine doesn't see rain at all, so I dunno if it leaks in a downpour
Old 07-22-2003, 09:17 PM

Keiii: I would let the dealer take it back again. It took the dealer several tries, but I have no more leaks. We have been getting Monsoon like conditions in TN here lately, so I have no choice but to drive the car in the rain.

SFB767: On the driver side window, all the water would come from the front half of the windshield, while the passenger side would leak from the back of the window. I also had a leak from the headliner that originated from the pasenger T-top. They have all been fixed now.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:16 PM

does mine ever

It was fine when I bought it then it got worse, my passenger window isnt supported by the mirror very well and sorta leans out so water drips in on the edge of the passenger seat anytime it rains.

My driver one was leaking a freeken river, one day after 11 hours at work I got in to find the driver seat COMPLETELY soked like a sponge, I sorta fixed it with door/window caulk from work but when it rains I still spread towils out on the seats and try to park in the garage.

I have only used the T tops 2 times this month so they are becoming more of a problem then a pleasure.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:50 AM

Both my Camaros have leaked, and my bothers 02 ws6(3200 miles) leaks. but it's worth it when you pull them off on those nice days
Old 07-27-2003, 02:56 AM

mine are starting to leak so i ordered a set of BMR SFC's and we will see if that slows it down some
Old 07-27-2003, 03:04 AM

Well my T-tops only leak Air, otherwise mine don't leak that I can tell so far.. The best method to stop them from leaking is Take Some Dielectric grease and put on the rubber all around window and that will keep it from leaking as well..

dmnall
Old 07-27-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by SFB767
Question for you guys:

When you're driving in the rain, do you ever get water coming inside of your driver's side window from the rear, trickle down into that rubber lining at the bottom, and then make its way to the front of the rubber lining and trickle down somewhere, without spilling over the side?

This happens to me when it's rains sometimes and it happened today. I'm thinking this might be the reason why my driver's door speaker is distorted and needs to be replaced. Maybe that water is leaking inside the door and getting all over the speaker.
that's exactly where mine leaked from, ever since brand new. let the dealer try to fix it SIX times!! naturally, they failed. i finally fixed it myself by setting aside a nice sunny day to work on it, getting the garden hose, and getting creative with the silicone sealant.

good luck

Quick Reply: Anyone have T-Tops That Leak?