LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Any Ls1 Airbox smart people here? which airboxes are similar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 12:46 AM

Any Ls1 Airbox smart people here? which airboxes are similar?

I bought a front clip from a guy from an '00 Ws6 car, converting my Lt1 car over to a Ls1 style body. Anyway, he this transaction took place over 2 months ago and he has YET to send me the rest of the crap that was originally in our deal. - ALL the wiring and pigtails, hood latches, hinges, etc AND the airbox and ducting. (after i type this message, i'm going to be typing a feedback message about him in the for sale Forum) - so, since my car has been sitting in the driveway waiting for all this stuff to arrive, not being able to be driven for the last month because of this, I have no choice but to go to a junkyard and salvage an airbox off of something else.

QUESTION: -which airboxes/radiator covers from 98 - 02 cars are similar? are ram air boxes the same as non ram air lids for these cars? are v6 boxes the same as Ls1 boxes?. etc, etc! I know specifically of a 99 v6 car at a junkyard that has all of it's air ducting in tact, but i don't know if it will work properly with the ws6 hood that i bought.

PLEASE HELP!!
Old 08-11-2005, 06:17 AM

Re: Any Ls1 Airbox smart people here? which airboxes are similar?

I don't know for a fact if the WS6 difference is the same deal as the Camaro, someone correct me if it isn't.

This is what I know for fact on the Camaro:
The LS1 and V6 lids are different but the part the lid clamps onto is the exact same. If your eventually going to get the LS1 intake assembly a V6 air box and lid would tie you over. The difference between the V6 and LS1 air lid is the LS1 lid has the air come out through the middle of the back and the V6 lid has a slightly of centered hole to go to the angled throttle body the 3.8l V6s have. The SS has the same intake box as the V6.

So in short I think the V6 intake will tie you over but I would go with a LS1 lid eventually.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:59 AM

Re: Any Ls1 Airbox smart people here? which airboxes are similar?

The lower airbox, the part the lid sits on, is taller on the WS6. Some people with Camaros have troubles with the lid hitting the hood when using the WS6 lower airbox. The '98-'99s don't have a breather hose coming out of the lid. That would be one less part for you to get or hole to plug.