LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Any gain to polishing combustion chamber on heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 02:22 PM

Any gain to polishing combustion chamber on heads?

I think it's called the combustion chamber.It's the round indent where the flat part of the valves come into.I recently bought a set of heads that have a mild port/polish job to the intake/exhaust tunnels and they have brand new stock parts. Now, the combustion chambers have been smoothed out a little with no actual porting.I was wondering if they should be polished mirror-smooth or left alone?They are still a little bit rough right now.Also,the intake/exhaust tunnels are smooth,but should they be polished like mirror as well?Thanks guys...
Old 03-03-2004, 04:32 PM

yes it helps the burn pattern to polish the combustion chambers, just take your time and go slow until you get the hang of it. we polish the chambers on our Stage 2 heads
Old 03-03-2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Demon SS
yes it helps the burn pattern to polish the combustion chambers, just take your time and go slow until you get the hang of it. we polish the chambers on our Stage 2 heads
Thanks for the reply and sorry about the newby question,but I am a bolt-on guy and heads are new to me.So you are saying that I should take some sand-paper and a polishing clothe and shine the chambers until they look like chrome (or close) correct?I just don't want to mess up the heads so I will NOT be using a grinding disc or anything.Thanks again...
Old 03-03-2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by nikkev
Thanks for the reply and sorry about the newby question,but I am a bolt-on guy and heads are new to me.So you are saying that I should take some sand-paper and a polishing clothe and shine the chambers until they look like chrome (or close) correct?I just don't want to mess up the heads so I will NOT be using a grinding disc or anything.Thanks again...
aren't you supposed to use a machinging tool to do that?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:27 AM

Hehe, that's why I'm asking.The machine shop has done the porting/polishing of the tubes and the chambers.The tubes are smoothed out pretty good and the chambers are very rough compared to the tubes.The shop smoothed out most of the roughness from the cast in the chambers,but it is not polished up.

Last edited by nikkev; 03-04-2004 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:32 PM

I have a set of Scotts heads and cam on my LS1 and trust me guys. He knows porting and pollishing!

Nikkev,
Email Scott and he can help you more indepth on your questions.

Mike
Old 03-04-2004, 08:08 PM

We do all of our work by hand as it is my preferred method of doing cylinder heads. Just use some lite sand paper or an electric die grinder and some of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=10323

take your time and use a soft touch and keep it even and smooth across the surface you'll be ok.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:02 PM

Thanks a lot man! My heads look almost exactly like these (as far as the porting goes):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2464798552

The only difference is that my chambers are still kind of "pebbly" so I am going to smooth them out by hand.I am hoping that if I do it by hand I won't take too much off and ruin the heads.Thanks for the replies!