LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

another damn header question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 01:15 PM

another damn header question

first off i have searched on this topic numerous times and i'm getting a headache, if you do not wish to read another header topic please leave, i will totally understand.

anyways, my question is... i live in california and i want to get at least some midlength headers, we have a really good family friend who is a mechanic and will help me out on the emissions passing. what i want to know is, what is a good midlength (or maybe even long tube headers, would rather have midlength though) that are CARB legal? i heard that FLP LT's are, and pretty much the shorties are. are there any midlength CARB legal headers? i just want some decent ceramic coated headers with 2 hi-flow and a carb#. thanks.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:10 PM

Re: another damn header question

i wasn't aware that ANY mid or LT headers were carb approved. they move the cats...therefore illegal.

good brands of mids are either Bassani, Mac and i think AS&M makes em for the ls1 now
Old 09-23-2004, 04:47 PM

I believe JBA is the only company to make a CARB certified header. They're shorties...so don't waste your time or money.

You said you have a buddy that'll help you pass emissions testing...but you're looking for CARB certified headers...you wouldn't need any help passing with a CARB certified header.

Talk to him again and see how he can help you pass. Find out if he can still get you thru with mids or LTs + cats (not in stock location) or if you can't touch the cats.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:18 PM

the only reason i'm looking for a carb# is because of cops... my brother had a lowered yellow civic and was constantly being pulled over and the cop would check over his car. his intake didn't have a carb#, so he swapped it out. i just don't want to have to deal with the swapping. any suggestions?
Old 09-23-2004, 08:12 PM

Move.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:34 PM

hahaha, ya seriously, i don't mind the relocation of cats, i just don't want to get owned by a pig.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:52 AM

well i'm tryig to stay slightly legal as well, so I'm going with midlengths. The longtubes will definetly get you caught if they look over the car, they just hang underneath and are quit obvious, especially if they are coated and bright. The midlengths are at least hidden more from a quick look underneath. I guess the best thing to do is just get shorties if you think you'll get caught. I drove around Cali with longtubes and was very loud and never got hit, but was always worried when I saw them around. I try to stay low key, most import guys dress up their cars and that attracts attention. I've read the BBK and Edelbrok ones are also CARB legal. Could check into them. It really sucks the gov says you can't move cats, cause these longtube headers still pass no problem, even one of the shorties put out less emissions than the stockers could. I'm sure all the environmental people would stop any chance of ever getting that law changed

Last edited by D James; 09-24-2004 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:16 AM

I passed emissions WAY under the "acceptable" limit... like... tiny fractions of their standard numbers, and that was with bullet cats, no EGR/AIR, and all the mods you see below. California sucks with all their naziism, can't imagine trying to drive a car out there.