LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Announcing a new LSx-based "How-to" Engine Manual:

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:28 PM

Announcing a new LSx-based "How-to" Engine Manual:

Hey guys, I've been talking with JasonD about my new books release and have arranged for my publisher to send out a copy for him to review. In the meantime I wanted to give you guys a heads up about the book and what to expect out of it. Some of you may have viewed my announcement on LS1tech, I mostly lurk over here but I have been a member for 9+ years! I'd like to also thank Jason for permission to discuss the manual on CamaroZ28.com!

Here's a little about the book, the formal announcement is quoted below but here is a little more information.

This How-To Manual deals with the internals of the LSx series of engines. From stock cube components to building high-HP shortblocks. Helping to guide the reader into choosing the correct components per their desired application, machine work, blueprinting and final assembly. Procedures for checking piston-to-valve clearance, lifter preload, degreeing the camshaft, filing rings, and checking/verifying ALL bearing clearances are included in this manual. For assembly techniques, I've included a step-by-step assembly of a complete Gen III engine assembly (408ci LQ4) and elaborated on variances between buildups such as using the GMPP LSX block or resleeving a core aluminum-cased block, with specifications for just about anything LS related throughout the manual. Torque specs, and bearing clearance specs listed, along with general and popular displacement dimensions.

My book requirements were 40,000-50,000 words in the main text (I had about 45,000 on my initial submission, and added more since then). 300 full-color HQ images with 10,000 words of captions total (I had 15,000 words). Related sidebars, tables, and spec boxes. This took about 6 months of working everyday for a minimum of 3-4hrs and most of my weekends to compile! 6 months is not a long time for a book of this magnatude, there were many nights I was up until 3-4am writing to meet the deadline, while still keeping a full time job building cars and doing installs to LS-equipped vehicles - luckily I work with LS engines everyday, so I could take pictures each day of what I needed, that was a huge help in the project.

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
I'd like to take this opportunity to announce the release of a new book I was involved in writing last year. The book is called “How-To Build and Modify the GM LS-Series Engines” and is published through Motorbooks, a leading provider of enthusiast driven publications. The manual covers building Gen III and Gen IV LS-series engines from start to finish, outlining proper procedures and techniques. Including the GMPP LSX block differences.

I see and hear of many mistakes being made with customer installations due to unfamiliarity, and while this book cannot cover the complete vehicle otherwise, it thoroughly covers what is inside the LS engine. Whether you are building a stock engine, adding a camshaft or cylinder heads to your own shortblock, or up to building a fully forged 427ci long block, there is something in this book that will relate to that and show you the proper procedures to do so.

There is further helpful information on helping to choose engine blocks by power and application, choosing pistons, deciding on which heads you can afford, and the most valuable trait of having a step-by-step guide for engine assembly, which includes degreeing the camshaft, determining pushrod length, checking all bearing and piston-to-valve clearances and computing compression ratios. One nice last minute feature that I was able to sneak in was a Bolt and Torque Spec chart; I thought “what if I can make a list of where each size and length of bolt is supposed to go, along with that bolts torque specification”, and what better place to have the description, location, and sizes (socket size, length, diameter and thread pitch) of the exact bolt other than a full torque specification table. That alone took a good portion of time, but a highly valuable addition to a book of this nature.

The book consists of 176 pages including 300+ color photos with text captions for each. For those readers who like to follow installation pictures, you can either follow the sequential installation images, and/or for those who like to read; the corresponding chapter text outlines each step more thoroughly.

The Book is available from Motorbooks.com currently, September 1st was the official release date and it will start showing up everywhere else about a month afterward - towards the beginning of October. Amazon.com, and a few dozen other book stores will start shipping it out at that time.

http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/Prod...ails_42331.ncm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...pf_rd_i=507846

I’m currently involved in 2 other book projects. The next one is “The 1993-2002 Camaro and Firebird Performance Handbook”, which I am about 2 weeks from finishing, and then I get to start on one I’ve been really looking forward to which is “The LS Engine Swap Manual”, which details installing the Gen III and Gen IV LS-style engines into older vehicles, whether a 67 Camaro, or a 85 Monte Carlo. These popular engines are making their rounds into just about anything.

If there are any questions pertaining to this book or my other projects feel free to post in this thread.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:05 AM

I like what I see, so I got one.
I have been looking at dropping in a gen-III sbc into my camaro for a little while now.

Do you go into what we should do about engines that come (from the junk yard) with DoD and/or VVT for people who want to use them carbed?
Disabling DoD seems simple enough but I don't know what to do about VVT. It would be cool to in incorperate it but I just don't know.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by oil pan 4
I like what I see, so I got one.
I have been looking at dropping in a gen-III sbc into my camaro for a little while now.

Do you go into what we should do about engines that come (from the junk yard) with DoD and/or VVT for people who want to use them carbed?
Disabling DoD seems simple enough but I don't know what to do about VVT. It would be cool to in incorperate it but I just don't know.
I did mention the basic differences in the two setups and what timing set to use but it is kinda minor, this manual covers mainly new buildups from the bare block. Basically to get away from VVT in a VVT vehicle you just need the non-VVT 4x upper timing gear setup, and timing cover (LS2 style). The Retrofit book that I'm about to start on will be a little more in-depth for complete donor engines as far as what is needed with which engine.

I recently installed one of the GMPP distributor conversion kits onto a crate engine. I think that would be a good setup for a retrofit into another chassis providing there is enough clearance for the new accs drive setup.

I think many people believe the carb stuff is cheaper than keeping EFI, but if you factor in buying everything new I think it would be pretty comparable pricewise either way. The retrofit book will be pretty neat, lots of different vehicles are getting LS based engine transplants. Speaking of... That LSX 454ci on my LS Manuals front cover is going into a 32 Ford.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:42 AM

I see. I was planning on staying away from VVT, now I will really avoid it.
I noticed how expensive the carb intake manifolds are, made me rethink keeping the fuel injection. I had always assumed the intake manifolds were in the $250 and below range, not the $400 and up range. I planed on keeping the coil on plug system.
When can I expect The Retrofit book to be out?
Am I correct to believe the weight difference between an Iron sbc1 engine and an all aluminum LS gen 3 engine to be around 130lb?
I was considering LM4 or L33 engines.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 PM

Looks good - it would be nice to see people actually read and learn from it, too many these days just want to be spoon fed answers to basic questions that could be answered with the plethora of engine books out there. It would also be nice to see a note about how mass produced parts cannot just be thrown together like an erector set, every part needs to be measured and possibly fixed even when those parts are brand new - and the chances of this increase as the price you pay goes down
Old 09-21-2009, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by oil pan 4
I see. I was planning on staying away from VVT, now I will really avoid it.
I noticed how expensive the carb intake manifolds are, made me rethink keeping the fuel injection. I had always assumed the intake manifolds were in the $250 and below range, not the $400 and up range. I planed on keeping the coil on plug system.
When can I expect The Retrofit book to be out?
Am I correct to believe the weight difference between an Iron sbc1 engine and an all aluminum LS gen 3 engine to be around 130lb?
I was considering LM4 or L33 engines.
VVT is the future - provided enough piston to valve exists to utilize it better and with real camshafts. I hear what your saying on the carb stuff, I think people think it is a matter of spending $500 on an intake and carb but in reality have to spend $$$$ more to get it running. I'll highlight those issues to the penny in the retrofit book. Going off my first book, I would say a tad over a year for the timeline on the retrofit books release. I wish it were a quicker journey.

That weight sounds about right, the bare aluminum block is about 110lbs itself, the truck iron blocks about 185lbs bare.

BTW I like the oil burner diesel, I have a constant supply of waste oil, it is very hard to resist buying a diesel to put that oil to use. I think I can drive enough for the fuel savings to pay for the truck in a year or so.

Originally Posted by MachinistOne
Looks good - it would be nice to see people actually read and learn from it, too many these days just want to be spoon fed answers to basic questions that could be answered with the plethora of engine books out there. It would also be nice to see a note about how mass produced parts cannot just be thrown together like an erector set, every part needs to be measured and possibly fixed even when those parts are brand new - and the chances of this increase as the price you pay goes down
I hope people really use it and follow the steps, this manual should always be in a toolbox and not on a bookshelf. All too often people just slap together a setup without checking anything... I've even seen $1.50 oil pump o-rings cause $6000-8000 in repair damage due to unfamiliarity. Talk about a huge consequential waste.

I have measurements and procedures for just about every part of the engine other than assembling cylinder heads themselves. Many crankshafts have to be remachined out of the box due to mismachining in the production line. taper, runout, sizing, variance... etc.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 AM

Seems like a good book for me on my up comeing Vacation.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:08 AM

Definitely a must own for beginners, i'll be getting one, looks good Joseph
Old 09-23-2009, 09:11 PM

Thanks guys!

I think it would appeal to both beginners and some long-time enthusiasts... for that matter - even several shops that I have had the pleasure of walking thru installs with via the telephone would probably benefit!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:42 AM

For me its time for a technolgy up grade, tired of seeing every single production V6 and a lot of the rice cookers posting higher numbers than my LG4.
+100hp, +70tq, -130lb all with better fuel economy would be a good start.

Got another huge question, how will we adapt the electronic stuff to non electronic vehicles? such as drive by wire? (if the LS serries truck engines are drive by wire) And getting the engine harness all the way back into the dash?

Engine wise I have modified my diesel more than I have my car. Car has all the suspention work done to it.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 PM

The throttle bodies are one pretty major point in the conversion, many cars pre-70's used carb linkage. 70's - newer cables, and recently just about everything has electric operated TB's. C5 LS1/LS6, C6 LS2/LS3/LS7/LS9, 2010 Camaro LS3, L99, GTO LS2, and most 2003ish trucks and up. (2000+ for SUV's), and more.

I believe the electronic TB's are easier to install myself, due to the removal of the complete stock setup. With the elec TB's you need to utilize the matching gas pedal assembly which has a pretty simple mounting setup, you don't need to custom make a cable or linkage, you just mount it where it fits best and plug in the elec. connector. The earlier systems utilized a Throttle Actuator Control module for throttle operation and cruise control, the later and smaller PCM's control this internally.

Now as far as the cable throttle bodies such as the F-body LS1, 2004 GTO and 1999-2002 Trucks, if you have a cable operated GM vehicle it is usually only a matter of utilizing the 99-02 F-body non-traction control stock cable, it fits quite a few applications. Or a Lokar cable is another option, and adjustable.

Custom Retrofit harnesses can mount the PCM pretty much anywhere, underhood, behind glove box, etc. From there the elec throttle pedal cable would be run if utilized, through the engine bulkhead (firewall) through a grommet. Since some retrofit applications do not have a PCM wiring harness or grommet, usually one needs to be hole-sawed in.

They are pretty flexible and external components swap back and forth easily on Gen III LS motors especially, and certain Gen IVs do to an extent, other than mainly the LS7, LS9 and LS3/L92 (6.2L and 7.0L)
Old 10-04-2009, 07:48 AM

Just ordered mine
Old 10-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

Thumbs up

I just got the book the other day and finally got the chance to spend some time leafing through it.

I think for a guy like me who has engine knowledge, but not enough to build an engine with confidence, this is a killer book to have on the shelf. Plus, I think it is good for the guy who has built an engine or two but wanted to learn more how to do it right and tight.

The text is straightforward and doesn't speak on levels too high or low for the reader. I was never a fan of engine/car manuals that are black and white but the color pics in this one are great.

Great book for the money! Excellent job, Joe!! We will be talking more about it in CamaroZ28.Com Podcast Episode #213. Check it out in iTunes!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 PM

Thanks Jason, glad you like it!
Old 10-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Dunno if I said so on LS1 tech but, hopefully soon I'll be buying this book... Now if only I had a step by step on how to change an LS9 into a 2002 V6 car.........lol oh and the 30k for the motor

Quick Reply: Announcing a new LSx-based "How-to" Engine Manual: