LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

1 grand on N20 w/safty options or QTP LTs Ypipe & high flow cats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 03:29 PM

1 grand on N20 w/safty options or QTP LTs Ypipe & high flow cats?

I am debating on what my next mod should be.
I eventually will have QTP long tubes, carsound cats, ypipe and Stage II nitrous setup. 50/100 shot. However I don't know what my next mod should be. I really want a lot of power fast, but I don't think I would use the nitrous on the street. I was thinking of just doing the QTP lts, but in March there is an SLP event and I really want have some power behind me. The thing is will Nitrous without headers hurt. So give me feedback, so I can come to a decision and place the order on the 22nd.

With the simple mods I've done how much horses would I gain with Long tube headers?

Last edited by therealmagyver; 01-20-2003 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:38 PM

i'd go w/ the qtp's... why? cuz it'll sound nicer man... you dont wanna spray on the streets in miami - a lot of my friends are getting caught, *** man.. .i almost got caught by FIU. go for the QTP's... then just wait for the money to come in so you can get the n2o setup... thats what i would do. i'd rather my car sound dope as hell - for right now... hehe
Old 01-21-2003, 08:24 AM

I hear you about spraying on the streets, but I don't wanna spend 1000 bucks on sound. I want power. I wonder how much Long Tubes give on basically a stock LS1. Do you have an idea?
Old 01-21-2003, 10:07 AM

You'll get sound accompanied by power with the QTPs. Like afterimage said, I would do the QTPs 1st, because on the street you'll be itching to press the nitrous button, then you will and you'll be at about 125 when the state police get behind you, then they will arrest your a$$, impound your car, then your insurance company will drop you for the use of nitrous.

you'll be able to enjoy the headers year round, unlike the nitrous for only 11-13 secs at the track and the occasional shot on the street
Old 01-21-2003, 10:10 AM

As for power, you'll notice a very nice gain.

I've seen people cut easily .3 off and i've seen .5 cut off. On the dyno, around 20-30+ rwhp, and if you get it dyno tuned after, you will see even more.

If you really want to be fast, have you considered putting stickers all over your car, I've heard that stickers could add up to as much as 750 HP

It all depends on the car really and the driver might have to do something about it too

Last edited by 2002 NBM Bird; 01-21-2003 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:32 AM

I would leave the stickers for the imports. They really don't use it to get speed, they use the stickers to hold the car together when for when they hit speeds over 75mph.

As far as spraying on the streets...I wouldn't do it. I've been through a million tickets as a teenager in my mustang GT. The spray would be for the track, but you do make a valid point on how often I would get to use either of the two. I may just do my headers and get a bigger cam. Not interested in doing heads...at least not right now.

Originally posted by 2002 NBM Bird
As for power, you'll notice a very nice gain.

I've seen people cut easily .3 off and i've seen .5 cut off. On the dyno, around 20-30+ rwhp, and if you get it dyno tuned after, you will see even more.

If you really want to be fast, have you considered putting stickers all over your car, I've heard that stickers could add up to as much as 750 HP

It all depends on the car really and the driver might have to do something about it too
Old 01-21-2003, 10:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by therealmagyver
[B]They really don't use it to get speed, they use the stickers to hold the car together when for when they hit speeds over 75mph.[QUOTE]

Thats some funny stuff, I never thought about saying that. Looks like i'll have to steal that quote from you.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:02 PM

yeah man... trust me on this one about spraying on the streets. my boy got caught last night down 8th street by 3 state troupers - one of them w/ the ls1 camaros

they arrested him on the spot and impounded his car. i heard about it today when his mother called me to ask me if i knew he was into street racing. w/e... he's ****ed now. he has a criminal traffic record. they're gonna go to court probably (as it's happened w/ my other friends) and suspend his license for a year, and he's going to have to pay MAD FINES. ehh... sucks for him

and the cops in miami are getting sneaky... they're going to the races in gs-r's and si's and mustangs and crap trying to run races w/ ppl and then set up a road trap for the race so that when they race, the cops are at the end of the block waiting for them. sucks man... thats why i stopped, cuz im going to get caught one way or anther, and i'd rather spend $1000+ in fines into a set up headers + y-pipe . actually i might just bypass the y-pipe and go str8 though. my 67 camaro has str8 pipes and dude does it sound baaaadddddd. thats an animal right there, lol.

give me an IM on AIM since you live in the miami area man, my sn is surfnzero. peace man
Old 01-21-2003, 12:06 PM

btw.... about n2o....

one day im going to be able to shoot a 300 shot without hitting a wall lol

most i've ever done was a 200 shot, and that scared the **** out of me god dammit, LOL, the '67 takes n2o like water man, but a str8 200 shot was kinda stupid of me to do, lol

my friends have the video of me when i juiced up the '67... you can see my face like "oh shiet!" but i handled myself ill think twice next time i spray 200 shot, lol, that ****'s more powerfull than you think, lol
Old 01-21-2003, 12:14 PM

Definitely spend the money on the headers+y-pipe. It's legal and its power that's always there.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Flat_Tire_
Definitely spend the money on the headers+y-pipe. It's legal and its power that's always there.
So basically getting caught speeding with nitrous in your car regardless if you sprayed it or not...you going to jail, b/c you were speeding and you have the kit in your car.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by afterimage ss
yeah man... trust me on this one about spraying on the streets. my boy got caught last night down 8th street by 3 state troupers - one of them w/ the ls1 camaros

they arrested him on the spot and impounded his car. i heard about it today when his mother called me to ask me if i knew he was into street racing. w/e... he's ****ed now. he has a criminal traffic record. they're gonna go to court probably (as it's happened w/ my other friends) and suspend his license for a year, and he's going to have to pay MAD FINES. ehh... sucks for him

and the cops in miami are getting sneaky... they're going to the races in gs-r's and si's and mustangs and crap trying to run races w/ ppl and then set up a road trap for the race so that when they race, the cops are at the end of the block waiting for them. sucks man... thats why i stopped, cuz im going to get caught one way or anther, and i'd rather spend $1000+ in fines into a set up headers + y-pipe . actually i might just bypass the y-pipe and go str8 though. my 67 camaro has str8 pipes and dude does it sound baaaadddddd. thats an animal right there, lol.

give me an IM on AIM since you live in the miami area man, my sn is surfnzero. peace man
my aim is therealmagyver or akamagyver.

Hey don't forget to goto www.slponline.com and sign up for racing day in Orlando. I'm trying to organize a big group to head out at the same time.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:55 PM

make sure you do a cam with the stage 2 heads, get a comp cam 224/228 i heard those are perfect for nitrous, thats what i have and im going to spray soon.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:21 PM

if you dont have your bottle connected to the lines, you won't get in trouble... if you get pulled over for ANYTHING, speeding, wreckless driving, or just running a stop sign, and they check your car for whatever reason and find you have your bottle connected - BYE BYE. thats what i've understood from a miami dade police officer. if it's not connected, you can tell them you forgot to take it out from when you were racing at the nearest track... but if it's connected, the cops go ape shiet and you're SCREWED. lol
Old 01-23-2003, 02:00 PM

Talking

Buy a used TNT kit for $400 and a set of used MACs with off-road Y-pipe for $300. With the leftover $300, buy a FPSS, bottle heater, and window switch. I have this set-up with a TNT wet 100 shot and it is a beast. I spent a little more, but it was a while ago when these products were newer. If you shop around, you can find great deals. Good luck! Ben

Quick Reply: 1 grand on N20 w/safty options or QTP LTs Ypipe & high flow cats?