LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

1/4 Mile times/ power gain question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by Gloveperson
Would the LCA's, the brackets and the SFCs do anything to the handling of the car or affect the ride quality of the car significantly?
I think I am going to get Firestone Firehawks as the tires, also.
SFCs are a great investment. Car has a much more solid feel. Lower control arms cuts wheel hop, and relocation brackets are something I badly needed this year. If I had them, my 119ish mph would have turned better than an 11.9 haha. I would start with those three mods, then add the lid/exhuast/freemods etc

No flame war intended, but why spend the money going up to an LS1 car instead of modding the LT1 you have? just wondering
Old 12-20-2003, 10:45 PM

I wouldnt bother with Shorties, the gains are very minimal. Cartek told me that for the price, MAC Midlengths are the best bang for the buck, and Street Legal. The SLP Y-Pipe is legal also, you just need Cats.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by Bad AZz Z28

No flame war intended, but why spend the money going up to an LS1 car instead of modding the LT1 you have? just wondering
It was totalled. This lady ran a stop sign and T-boned me. Steering rack destroyed, door flew off, etc. Figured why not get an LS1 when they are only like 3 grand more and you get a lot less miles, better MPG, and 50 more RWHP stock
Old 12-21-2003, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by RS Dragster

If you're still worried about emmissions, get a hot-cam. I've heard multiple testimonies of people still passing emmissions. Plus the car will still sound near-stock. By buddy's running one and is putting down 383 rwhp.
I think he means the LS6 Cam not the Hot Cam. The Hot Cam is really lumpy and it's blatently obvious that you have a cam aka Hot Cam = no more warrenty. I think Thunder Racing makes a cam that iddles close to stock and still nets good gains called the Old Man's Cam, you might want to look into that.

As far as headers go, 01-02 models have better flowing exhaust manifolds than earlier years (which makes shorty headers pretty much useless *+5 hp maybe*) and you get the LS6 intake. I would deffinetly look for an 01-02 if you can find one.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:45 AM

As far a voiding the warranty. There is the Magnuson/Moss Act that states the warranty can NOT be voided for systems unrelated to mods. IE a cat back can not void the tranny or engine warranty only the exhaust system's warranty.

I ran a very traction limited 13.56 at 107 mph stock. I agree with the idea of getting the most out of the available power. This is the direction I'm going, because w/that MPH my car should be quicker. No sense in trying to run faster when you can't put the power to the ground. Also spend some time getting used to your car and talk to other M6 guys that have good 60' times to see what they're doing. I'd stay away from steeper gears. They'll kill traction and as weak as our rear ends are they'd be a liability if anything goes wrong. As for DR's, just keep some stockers on wheels and swap them out if you go in for warranty work. Same thing for the air lid etc. Definately get some SFC's before you run drag radials.

Speaking of air lids etc. I'm sure there is probably a local f-body club. Hook up w/them. You'll probably be able to find some used take off parts cheap. I just got a direct flow lid w/the IAT and the K&N AIR tube filter for $50.

Ya, I keep hearing the 01-02 models are quicker on the whole, but I've ran several stock vs stock and have come out ahead so far. For the $3k price difference between what I could find for those years vs. the price I got on my '00 model, I can make up more than enough time.

If you want to look for an LS6 blocked car. IIRC there are some target looking casting marks on front of the heads or block. Do a search in here. I think this is where I read that.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:04 PM

u must make a pretty penny then, NJ insurance for a 17-18 yo w/ a v8, car payments, and 400 bucks a mth to mod..must be nice
Old 12-21-2003, 09:46 PM

I make 700 dollars a month..been saving for about three years (if you count the time saving for the LT1) and my insurence company is a union owned or something. I am on my father's plan. It is New Jersey Manufactuers. The LT1 had 90,000 miles, was red and it was still only 1600 per year with full coverage. The 98 LS1 will be 2200 for full coverage.

Its easy to mod when you don't have to pay for food
Old 12-21-2003, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by 95TA8280
17 year old with an LS1
is there a problem with that? i got mine last winter and turned 17 2 months ago....... i've yet to wreck it, hell i've never been near wrecking it and have worked my *** off to keep it. don't think its bad to have one of these cars when ur young
Old 12-22-2003, 06:08 AM

Well I am glade i live here No emission's test's .

Well A buddy of Mine has been thinking about an LS-1 in his 89 RS.
I spose it would be worth Doing Run an awsome exhaust they sound 305TBI ish as to not rause any suspishion wink wink.
the go and race someone they'll be like and after ya roast them i guess you could top it off by yelling out da window they you lost to an RS with just a little 305 .
Old 12-22-2003, 06:20 AM

You should HAVE one when your young enough to beat the **** out of it have fun and fix what you break ECT and so along.
But I do believ in if your going to beat it race it and screw around in it you had also Fix it now an LS-1 is kinda high tech for shade tree fixing,fut yiu can do stuff like cjange oil and light repair's like starter's alt's and ect.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by red91tsiawd
is there a problem with that? i got mine last winter and turned 17 2 months ago....... i've yet to wreck it, hell i've never been near wrecking it and have worked my *** off to keep it. don't think its bad to have one of these cars when ur young
I don't think it's bad to have a LS1 when your young. Of course I'm referreing to 20-25ish as my idea of young. If a college aged person has the income to support the car and insurance then by all means they should go out and get one.

However if a kid who has neither the credit to finance one nor the ability to even have the car in his/her name should NOT get one. It's simply bad parenting to let a child have control of a 3600 pound missle that does 0-100 in 13 seconds or less. You can tell me all the stories you want about how safe of a driver you are but the reality is 4 of 5 boys under 18 could not drive one without excessive speeding/racing on a somewhat regular basis.

Not every child with a LS1 will become a statistic. But as a parent myself I certainly wouldn't hand over the keys to a car that can go 160 mph to my child and severly increase thier odds of becoming one.

I truly hope you never wreck yout car. I truly hope you never become a statistic. But the fact remains that your parent, uncle, older brother, grandparent or whoever helped you aquire that car has in fact helped you increase your chances of becoming one.

I know people in thier 40's can wreck an LS1 too but the difference is they at least have 20+ years of driving experience not just a few months or a few years. Plus if they (god forbid) injure an innocent motorist while racing thier parents can't get sued but if your under 18 and do it then your parents could get sued. I'm trying to provide food, shelter and educations for three kids so the last thing I need is a another kids parents sueing me for everything I got because my son or daughter was "showing off" in daddy's car and something went wrong.

Be safe and good luck.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:35 AM

TRUE THAT DARRON TRUE THAT HELL YES......
Old 12-22-2003, 08:04 PM

Unhappy

i would hate to have your insurance payment
Old 12-22-2003, 10:30 PM

i save the racing for the track, no grip on the street. about the worst thing i've done is make a smoke show in the school parking lot but i made the line lock real tight so it never budged. i am alil different than most kids though, i've been driving on the street since i was 12-13 going to get water and hay and have driven around the barn and such since i could push the clutch and see over the wheel.

but i do agree, i had a buddy (17) get a 98 SS and he has trashed it...... he isn't my buddy anymore, i got real close to ripping him to shreds when he talked about how he almost wrecked the car
Old 12-22-2003, 10:33 PM

ahhhh, insurance was 345 for 6 months

its under a 57 yr old lady with no tickets or wrecks.
i have gotten a few tickets and accused of racing when i revved to a v6 camaro (lt's, ORYP, cutout = loud).... one was 8 over and the other was no turn signal

Quick Reply: 1/4 Mile times/ power gain question