LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

$300 to spend

Old 05-12-2003, 08:10 PM

$300 to spend

Well it is basically what the title says. I have three hundred dollars to spend. I was going to buy a FTRA, holley filter, and taylor magnacore wires. That would be about 240, so I would have cash left over. Then I thought that I would buy the SSRA and ethier taylor wires or holley filter. Which one do you think would yeild the most SOTP feel and performance gains. Current mods in the sig. Thanks all.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:22 PM
Banned

go with whisper ram air
and kn filter
and some wires....then save your cash for bigger mods
Old 05-12-2003, 09:07 PM

Save your money. I don't think you'll get much performance out of any of those mods compared to what you already have. Save up for some headers. Everybody should have headers.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by 2002Z28SSConv
Everybody should have headers.
Unless you live in California........Dammit!!!!
Old 05-13-2003, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Ferocity02
Unless you live in California........Dammit!!!!
Ditto that!! But somtimes the guy at the smog test station is hurting for cash, so I tip him well.........
Old 05-13-2003, 11:28 AM

I'm in the same situation. I think I'm done with the suspension mods for now. (Still waiting on the UPS man to bring my BMR LCAs and adj. panhard rod.) Now I'm ready to go faster but I haven't got a clue what to do.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:14 PM

also buy a $30 cutout
Old 05-14-2003, 01:27 AM

The Super sucker and a cut out. Well within your budget and you'll notice the difference at the track. But make sure to disable the SSRA in wet weather. Engine rebuilds are more than $300
Old 05-14-2003, 07:56 AM

Cool

Originally posted by ls1camarogal
I'm in the same situation. I think I'm done with the suspension mods for now. (Still waiting on the UPS man to bring my BMR LCAs and adj. panhard rod.) Now I'm ready to go faster but I haven't got a clue what to do.
Hey there fellow Dentonian!

Based on your sig, you have some of the basic go fast mods covered (lid, Flowmaster (catback, I assume...)).

My suggestion for the next step would be ram air or cai and then headers. Maybe even a cutout, too, and replacing the Flowmaster catback with a better flowing one (Hooker, Borla, LM etc.).

Later!

TS
Old 05-14-2003, 02:20 PM

Hey, what about me??

I dont know what to do either. I have a stealth intake coming and I plan on getting the ftra. My current mods are in the sig. After that I am cluless?? Any suggestions? As for everyone else, I reccomend 410 gears in an m6 or a stall converter and shift kit in an auto. I had a stall on my lt1 along with a fresh tranny rebuild. It was so fast that I wrapped her around a pole. Good mod though
Old 05-14-2003, 02:56 PM

Dont waste money on SSRA. Just pull the windshield bottle and piece of plastic underneath. But definetly get a cutout, more power and much less money than a catback. Get some gears next. Summit has them for 169.99. Installation can be pricey but you'll have them till you can afford to install them.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by 95GRNZ
Hey there fellow Dentonian!

Based on your sig, you have some of the basic go fast mods covered (lid, Flowmaster (catback, I assume...)).

My suggestion for the next step would be ram air or cai and then headers. Maybe even a cutout, too, and replacing the Flowmaster catback with a better flowing one (Hooker, Borla, LM etc.).

Later!

TS
Hi!

Actually I don't have the catback. I had the Flowmasters installed when I was 18, I just wanted it to sound better and I was broke so I figured $150 was doable. I've been thinking about getting the SLP LM & CAI.

...I just got the email from Thunder Racing that my LCAs are backordered.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:24 PM

Cool

Originally posted by ls1camarogal
Actually I don't have the catback. I had the Flowmasters installed when I was 18, I just wanted it to sound better and I was broke so I figured $150 was doable. I've been thinking about getting the SLP LM & CAI.
Sounds like you got a plan already. And you say you don't have a clue!

Next step would probably then be a set of headers.

Then? Well... Then you'd probably looking at heads/cam or other internal stuff. Unless you want to go the easy way and just spray it away.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Banned

whisper ram air is defintly worth it....it was one of the first things i did
Old 05-14-2003, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by 95GRNZ
Sounds like you got a plan already. And you say you don't have a clue!

Next step would probably then be a set of headers.

Then? Well... Then you'd probably looking at heads/cam or other internal stuff. Unless you want to go the easy way and just spray it away.
Well I've been asking around. I have an idea of what I want to do, I just want to know what more knowledgeable LS1 owners think I NEED to do. I'm a little bit too paranoid to get nitrous right now. I had run that idea by my dad months ago and he gave me a resounding "NO WAY". Think he's afraid I might keep up with him in his Z06?

Originally posted by stik6shift98
whisper ram air is defintly worth it....it was one of the first things i did
I just got off the phone with David at Thunder Racing. He recommended the Whisper Ram Air (although it's not on their site). Have you had any probs with it? I've heard some stories about getting water sucked up in the FTRA, but that's not common unless you drive through some serious puddles, right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $300 to spend