General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

whats ur opinion on a automatic camaro ss

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 07:22 AM

whats ur opinion on a automatic camaro ss

hi i am new to this site and i just wanted a basic opinion i have my eyes set on this 1998 camaro ss thats fs in my area but the only prb is that its automatic my ? is how much of a diff is the automatic and 6spd quarter mile time and just plain out pep if u get what i mean but any help would be greatfull also does anyone know any major prbs that a 98 ss would have like engine wise etc.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:14 PM

Re: whats ur opinion on a automatic camaro ss

Originally Posted by eatinrice
hi i am new to this site and i just wanted a basic opinion i have my eyes set on this 1998 camaro ss thats fs in my area but the only prb is that its automatic my ? is how much of a diff is the automatic and 6spd quarter mile time and just plain out pep if u get what i mean but any help would be greatfull also does anyone know any major prbs that a 98 ss would have like engine wise etc.
There's not much difference in 1/4 mile times between the A4 and the M6. If you like the car, buy it. As far as problems specific to the 98's, I've heard they have some piston slap, but I wouldn't worry about it. Take the car for a nice long drive and check it out really good.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:08 PM

Until the tranny shifts into OD which is about 100mph at WOT the cars would be pretty much neck and neck.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:23 PM

i think it depends on what rear end gears it has. i think the 3.23's would be right there with the m6 but the 2.73's would lag behind just a little. myself i would never and will never buy an auto for one reason, just too damn boring for a daily driven vehicle.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:02 PM

You dont have to worry about missing a gear or hitting the rev limiter, and the difference wont be much, m6s usually get the auto from a dig if its properly driven. If the car is in good condition an you like it, get it. You wont have any problems burning ruber with and auto.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:05 PM

98's have less piston slap than 01-02's by far.

Camaro's arent like Mustangs and Imports. The automatics are just as fast as the manuals.

I'll bet my car would run a 13.1 with an auto in it, but I'm a noob at launching manuals so a 13.4 is my best.

Last edited by MikeyG; 08-21-2004 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:42 PM

autos are better as they are always more consistent than manuals....unles that person taht is driving teh manual knows what they are doing....like kid said...u nevr have to worry about missing a gear or redlineing ur car....if car has 2.73s id change out teh gears real fast and put 3.73s in it ....otherwise if it has 3.23 its better but id still change teh gears..

have fun these cars are amazing..oh and i have an auto and i love it
Old 08-21-2004, 07:31 PM

The only thing you'll have to worry about with an auto. car are those uneducated car people who will tell you you're slow because you have an auto. Then you can just say:

"Camaros arent like Mustangs and Imports. The automatics are just as fast as the manuals."

The first LS1 Camaro I drove was my friend's '99 6 spd. and I couldn't believe that mine was just as fast when I test drove it for the first time. You won't regret buying an F-Body with an auto.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:34 PM

Really? I always thought m6 that it was only the m6 ls1's that hit low 13's stock. With the gear diffrence and without a shift kit and torque converter, I have never heard of an auto getting there. Also the m6 usually dynos above 300hp while the auto is in the 280's correct?
Old 08-21-2004, 08:45 PM

If you get the auto just plan on putting a 2800 stall in it to catch up to the M6s. Once you do that and can hook your right there with tho's guys. It takes a good 6spd driver to out run a A4 that's set up right when both cars are hooking. I went from a M6 to a TH400 with everything involved if that tells you anything. I say go with the auto and do the stall, but dont worry about the shift kit since the shift points can be changed with tuning. Ohh and use a Yank stall also there not as loose. Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:28 PM

I thought the same thing when I started looking A4 or Man. After thinking about it more I just went with a auto. I also swapped the gears to Motive 4.10s and couldnt be more happy would be a nice mod. down the line for ya if it isnt a everyday driver, also had Ion at WWW.madz28.com tune my PCM well worth it.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:54 PM
Banned

Well, stock, an M6 comes with a higher rearend gear ratio, 3.42. Highest an automatic comes with is 3.23. You also have less horsepower loss with a manual, but their advantage is miniscule since a person will never shift faster than an automatic transmission.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:58 AM

If you like driving a manual and you're good at it, you'll miss doing it and will probably regret not getting an M6.

The autos are more predictable and consistent on the track.

If you do get it, install a tranny cooler to extend the life of the tranny as they are not as durable as the T56 units.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:05 AM

i just traded my 96 TA a4 for a 99 formula m6...ive had tons of fun driving the new one. the only thing i didnt like about the a4 was if i was going around a turn, or pulling out of a restaraunt into traffic...i didnt know exactly when it would shift, so it would throw my back end out and sometimes it get s alil scary. i feel more in control with the m6 now.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by red96taA4
i just traded my 96 TA a4 for a 99 formula m6...ive had tons of fun driving the new one. the only thing i didnt like about the a4 was if i was going around a turn, or pulling out of a restaraunt into traffic...i didnt know exactly when it would shift, so it would throw my back end out and sometimes it get s alil scary. i feel more in control with the m6 now.
hmm... i've never had that problem with my A4

Quick Reply: whats ur opinion on a automatic camaro ss