General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What's going on With my car....Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 12:01 AM

What's going on With my car....Please help

I have a 94 T/A A4 2.73 gears with about 118k on her. There's been few things that's showing up on my car.
First, When the car is shifted to either drive or park, the white shift **** that goes up and down, doesn't pop back up. I solved the problem with a Niddle nose but that was temporary solution. So I was wondering what that could be?

Second, I live in central NJ and we just had a big snow storm. I am a college student and my life saving basically went to buy this car. Today i was driving around and I wanted to put it in D1 but i wouldn't do in. IT goes to everything else but it wouldnt' go in D1. I put bit of force into it and still it wouldn't go in. I tried not to put excessive force in it. But when i drive around I can feel the shifts. AT regular driving, the car shifts into 2nd about 15mph, then into 3rd at 30mph and into 4th in 45mph. I know there's a free spin or something like that in these trannies and when i drive on the high way the car does about 70mph around 2k. So what can be cause for the not shifting into D1.

The car is completely stock now. Don't really know if it was stock before or no. Bought it over the summer. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you in advance
Old 01-24-2005, 01:37 AM

Re: What's going on With my car....Please help

The reason you can't manually shift the A4 into first is that you have 2.73 gears. The factory left a little piece of plastic or something in the way to keep people from shifting into first for emissions or fuel economy reasons or something. I believe you can grind or break the little piece out.

There's nothing wrong with it not going into first, it's that way on all 2.73 A4 cars.