General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What kind of body do you like?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 04:22 PM

Question What kind of body do you like?

Camaro bodies, that is.

I'm looking at buying a 2000-2002 Z28 with the SS package. I kind of like the idea of a convertible, but I'm wondering if there are any performance considerations to take into account when looking at a body type. What should I be keeping in mind when looking at Covertible vs. T-Tops vs. Hard tops? I've read that convertibles come stock with SFC's--Are these adequate? Or would a performance-minded f-body enthusiast opt for a stiffer replacement? Would it be better to go with a t-top for the added body integrity overhead? Could this integrity be easily achieved in a convertible with a simple roll bar?

These are some of the issues I'd like to hear your thoughts on as well as any others I might be missing. Of course there are going to be quite a few differences in personal taste, but I would rather hear about specifically performance related issues between the different body styles. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:36 PM

Re: What kind of body do you like?

Totally depends on what you want to do with your car... Thats what you have to sit down and figure out.. Then things should be clear.

converts are a bit heavier, and need more bracing, for the lack of roof, and for stricter safety regulations for verts.

T-tops and hardtops.. depends on how much you like t-tops. They aren't quite as stiff as hardtops, but better than converts. Sometimes on some clubs/racing series/rules/etc, the rules can be kinda wierd, depending if they consider t-tops in the same leage of converts or not.. I don't think you'll have any issues for drag racing. (as long as you lock em in place)

If its a street car, and you want a convert.. I'd say go for it. You might have to add in a rollbar if you become fast enough in drag racing, or under some roadcourse safety rules. But if your driving it 99% of the time on the street... who cares?

If your building a dedicated race car, then definantly go for a hardtop.

Anything else in between, well you have to remember there are usually tradeoffs between a street car, and a race car.

I got T-tops on my car.. I actually wanted a hardtop, but there werne't any around, so I got a t-top car instead.. no regrets.. Its a street car, that occasionally seems time for drag (although very little now adays), autox, and roadcourse lapping days.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:39 PM

In my opinion...and you'll get many different ones from this board....I'd go with the T-tops or convertible. Yeah, yeah, I'm biased since I have T-tops, but there's nothing like cruising around on hot summer nights or nice sunny days with the top down. I didn't think much of it when I bought my car, but now I couldn't imagine driving without T-tops.

Personally, I prefer T-tops, because the 4th gen convertible tops have only that really small window in the back, but I'm sure vert owners will just say "Take the top down, ya wuss!"

You will get better rigidity with the hardtop, but you could always add SFCs for a rollcage. Depends on your use..race, cruising, show....
Old 08-10-2005, 05:00 PM

Yes there is a little extra bracing on convertibles depending on what year you are talking about they are a bit different. I would not say that they are full SFC's though.
On my '95 TA vert the tunnel brace is actually an "X" brace connecting the normal tunnel brace to the transmission brace all as one piece, and a little extra sheet metal bracing but thats it.
On my '99 TA vert, there is a full sheet metal sub brace running the length of the car on each side of the tunnel about midway out to the side, along with the "X" tunnel brace.

BMR makes some sub-frame connectors for convertibles, just ordered some so I'll know soon if they help stiffen things up but overall the car is very stiff to begin with.
I like the top being down so the vert was the obvious choice for me and I'm not against putting a roll bar in it as it will be safer for the street too with one, just not sure how how of a pain it will be getting in and out if its a full cage.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:22 PM

Some things to keep in mind besides performance issues are care issues. I've never had a convertible or t-tops car myself, but I have heard that convertibles really take a lot of care to keep looking nice. On top of that if either the convertible or t-tops break for whatever reason, both are pretty expensive to get repaired. Money that could've been spent on the engine has to now be spent on fixing the top. The less complex, the less there is to break, and less money has to be spent on stupid stuff. Just my 2 cents. I'd say the more important thing is to buy whatever would make you happiest. A car is a major purchase and should have what you want, otherwise you'll end up wanting something else before too long.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Smith4046

40,26,36 (Ha-Ha)!

In a FEMALE, of course.

Steve

Old 08-10-2005, 11:43 PM

well, on the upside, you wont need to worry about a falling headliner in a convertible or t-top car
Old 08-11-2005, 12:24 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I should have been more clear on my purposes. It will not be a dedicated race car. I plan on driving this daily. However, that being said, am I going to take this to the strip? Definitely. But I'm not going to be dragging regularly, maybe a few times year for fun. One thing I'm really interested in is Auto X and Road Course Racing. I don't know how often I would have time to do it, but it's definitely something I'd like to look into.

Also, I will be modding this car with performance upgrades as much as my wallet will allow and as much as I can get away with (I live in the land of emissions *****, aka California). I like how these cars have quite a few handling upgrades, and I'd like to look into things like a strut tower brace, some good SFC's, and some beefy sway bars.

My very first car was a 1984 Z28, so I'm excited about finally getting back into an F-body.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by aesir
I like how these cars have quite a few handling upgrades, and I'd like to look into things like a strut tower brace, some good SFC's, and some beefy sway bars.
Here you go, you can spend alot of $$ here real quick
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
Old 08-11-2005, 06:47 PM

For roadracing, check your local schools, clubs and tracks.. I bet a lot would make you run a full functional rollbar behind you..

If you ever get off course sideways into grass, and the sides of your tires dig in, you can flip.. thats why they usally instruct you to get into the grass straight.

Originally Posted by aesir
Thanks for all the tips. I should have been more clear on my purposes. It will not be a dedicated race car. I plan on driving this daily. However, that being said, am I going to take this to the strip? Definitely. But I'm not going to be dragging regularly, maybe a few times year for fun. One thing I'm really interested in is Auto X and Road Course Racing. I don't know how often I would have time to do it, but it's definitely something I'd like to look into.

Also, I will be modding this car with performance upgrades as much as my wallet will allow and as much as I can get away with (I live in the land of emissions *****, aka California). I like how these cars have quite a few handling upgrades, and I'd like to look into things like a strut tower brace, some good SFC's, and some beefy sway bars.

My very first car was a 1984 Z28, so I'm excited about finally getting back into an F-body.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:22 PM

Not a big fan of convertable's...one there heavier and two I think fbodies look a littler weird w/ the top down...some combo's do look good w/ the tops up....Ive owned 2 hardtops but wouldnt mind a ttop