General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What all should I do to this 1998 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 03:22 AM

What all should I do to this 1998 camaro

We'll I'm getting this v8 camaro from a dealer ship and kinda want to make sure everything goes good with it, so I was wondering what all should I try to do to it so I wont have any problems. It has a new transmission and it's a six speed. I'm going to get a diagnostic check and get it fully tuned up. What else do you guys think I should try and do to it?

PLEASE ALL ANSWERS WILL BE APRECIATED. ITS KIND OF HARD TO GET ANSWERS ON THIS SITE.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:05 AM

Purchase it and give it to me as a gift. Thanks.

(You did say ALL answers :-p )
Old 03-17-2007, 06:26 AM

when will you like it. As soon as I buy it my first priority is to make sure it gets to you some way some how.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Retired

As long as you've thoroughly inspected it and have test-driven it, there's nothing else to do as far as maintenance goes besides an oil change and maybe some other fluid changes. Do you have mod questions? I'm kind of missing the question.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:22 AM

No just like maintainence. Like what all should I do when I get it.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by andremvp13
No just like maintainence. Like what all should I do when I get it.
Tune-up (plugs and check wires and filters), change oil, check fluids (transmission, rear-end), check coolant level, go around and look for any loose bolts, etc.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:37 AM

When I have it fully tuned up they would handle all of that and I am going to get it diagnost. And also have the engine steamed cleaned.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by andremvp13
And also have the engine steamed cleaned.

Negative. Use some Armor All and wipe the plastics. No need to introduce moisture to coils and other electronics.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:03 AM

Anything else. To avoid any problems in the future. Or benifitial maintanince things I should do to the car(Exmp. Gas saver, cooling problems, and etc)
Old 03-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Retired

I don't know if you're in LA like Louisiana or LA like Los Angeles. If you're in LA (Louisiana), I'd reccomend getting a 160* Thermostat and getting your cooling fans turned on early.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:56 AM

Im in los angeles.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:37 PM

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking but I'd recommend fully detailing the car yourself. While you're doing it you'll find every nick and scratch on it. Jack the car up so you can get underneath it and pull the wheels off. Check out condition of brake lines and look for any leaks under the car. I'd expect you may find some small leaks which is pretty normal at over 100,000 miles. Chances are excellent your rear differential is coated with gear lube due to a leaking pinion gear. That is pretty common.

I'd recommend changing all fluids over to synthetics: motor oil, rear differential, and transmission (note: your manual tranny still uses ATF fluid which is a little strange). I's also recommend swapping spark plugs out and possibly wires depending on how bad they look. Change the fuel filter out and flush/fill your engine coolant. While your coolant is out: remove your coolant level sensor and clean it off- then put it back in. Trust me: the sensor gets gummed up over time and shows the car is running low on coolant even though it's still ok. Check your belts and hoses; replace if necessary. Refill with 50/50 mix of dexcool coolant.

I'd also suggest pulling off your brake rotors and having spending some quality time looking over your brake pads, rotors, and calipers. You may not need to do anything, but it's nice to know what condition your brakes are in. My 98' has around 103,000 miles and is still running on the original pads and rotors... they are in nice shape yet. If you're looking for stuff to do consider bleeding out the brake system with some new fluid.

My annual ritual puts me under the car pulling off the sway bar bushings and packing some grease in before reasembling to keep the bushings from squeaking over bumps. Yours may or may not have the same requirement.

I'd also suggest going over the car with a clay bar kit after washing it ( I do mine annually). If it's never been clayed before you will be amazed at how much crap is embedded in your paint! After claying it, use some decent polish (es) to further restore the paint. Then go over it with a high quality wax. The difference will be amazing unless the previous owner was equally meticulous.

I'd avoid adding any additives to your oil, gas, or anything else for that matter (you mentioned Gas Saver). If anything will screw up your car it's stuff like these products.

Run only premium fuel though your car (the LS1 was designed with premium in mind). Running lower grades will probably work fine though you will feel a stutter at wide open throttle at high rpms. Going back to premium will fix that after a tank or so.

Drop me an email at sg@sguth.net if you want specifics on what I use in mine or how to do the above. Most of the stuff certainly isn't required as soon as you pick up your car though it would help verify that the car is up-to-date in maintenance. By doing the above work yourself you will also familiarize yourself with this car in a hurry. There are sites online that can walk you through much of these tasks.

Enjoy the car!
Old 03-18-2007, 03:45 PM

Men that's what im talking about men. That was so good info and type of stuff im looking for. I'll defiantly will look to do all that and let you know what alls happens. I apreciate everything men.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:48 PM

You mean stuff like the lucas gas cleaner and ****?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:21 AM

3 strikes and you're out again. The LS1/6/3/4/ forum is for technical questions about engines. If you have other questions there are specific forums to ask those questions in.

Quick Reply: What all should I do to this 1998 camaro