General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Using Camaro lighting harness with Trans Am?? Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:20 PM

Using Camaro lighting harness with Trans Am?? Possible?

Hi, I did a big block swap in my car and in the process I messed up my headlight wiring harness making it necessary for me to but another one. I bought a harness off of a board member but low and behold I only specified LT1 and got the harness for a Camaro, which obviously has different lights! (DOH!)

Anyway I have all proper functioning lights other than headlights and would like to get my headlight issue fixed now. The Camaro harness is still there and the wires for the head and fog lights are just tucked away in the engine compartment.

My question is: Is there a way to use these wires for the headlights?

I was thinking that I could cut off the connector to the headlight and run those two wires directly to my headlights. I do not care if my fog lights do not work or if the motors do not work. I just want to have lights and I will raise manually if necessary.

Please, electrical experts help!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:59 PM

You don't have T/A connectors to splice in with? Should be able to get some from the dealer. If not then yes you should be able to directly wire them if you find out what is what as far as ground, power, etc. You can also wire a toggle to the motors for the up and down. I'm in the same process on my T/A. Pulled the whole wiring harness out to save weight and re-wired with bare necessity painless kit. Now I'm having to do all the little stuff.

BTW did you get your cooling issue worked out? If so what radiator did you end up going with?
Old 06-13-2007, 02:29 PM

Yes the colling issue got worked out. I used a circle track radiator. Got it at Summit. It was the Griffin 26X19 and has a 3'' depth and two rows of 1 and 1/4 tubing. Drove it from my builders home again. Last time I had to stop a few times but this time I drove the whole way and temp stayed about 185. I wanted to try the circle track radiator because all the direct fit stuff is five and six hundred dollars! The one I bought was 270. Make sure you don't get the 31 inch width because I tried and it did not fit.

I will try wiring the headlights directly in and hope that it works because I have no connectors for it. Come to think of it don't the lights and motors connect into the same conenctor? The one that is right next to the headlight above the radiator?
Old 06-13-2007, 02:58 PM

I didn't think so, but now you have me second guessing I thought that you could use blade connectors and attach it directly to the back of the headlight. I'll have to look when I get home, but you may be right.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:51 PM

Okay, so I cut off the connector and run the black wire and the gold wire to the connector on the headlight motor and voila....the fog lights now work!!??

They work with the regular headlight switch. Now the wierd thing is is when I hit the fog light botton the passenger side only light gets bright as if I am turning on the brights??? Any ideas on what I've done??
Old 06-19-2007, 06:00 PM

So you wired both the fogs and headlights, and when you turn on the fog lights the pass. headlight goes bright? Sounds like a crossed wire cause when the brights go on the fogs are supposed to go off.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:05 AM

Not quite what I was trying to explain. The headlights still don't work at all. Only the fog lights work.