General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Traction control?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 05:51 PM

Traction control?

I can't figure out whether i have traction control or not.
The guy I got it from said i might have it, he didnt know.

I looked at the build sheet and couldnt really see it.

Where is the button to disable it usually located at?

I do get a low traction light sometimes when i fly around corners fast.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:05 PM

Re: Traction control?

My button is below the radio and behind the auto shifter. Do a burnout and if you feel the gas petal kick back at you with force, you probably have TCS. You definitely feel it kick back up.

Another way to tell is to look under the hood and see if there is a huge black plastic box sitting about a 1/2 inch above the driver's side valve cover.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:29 PM

If you dont get a low track light and the pedal thrown back at you then you dont have it. I trip it all the damn time when its on. Its the same feeling you get when you dump the clutch with no gas and the car stalls. It will buck really hard and stop you from accelerating!! **** works good in the snow/rain

On the 96 and 95 models its below the cigerette lighter in the console... on the 97 its above the HVAC contrlols I believe next to the defrost (which I dont have)
Old 10-08-2004, 10:52 PM

The traction control switch on a 97 Camaro is above the radio, next to the
foglight switch. It will have the letters "ASR" on the switch.
If you don't have it, consider yourself lucky.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:28 AM

DOH!! HVAC is below the radio in those isnt it.. *im a dumbass!* LOL...sorry yes its above the radio and below the heater vents. Go Me.

http://members.***.net/blownls1/car/dash.jpg
Directly Left of the red "Camaro" you will see the fog light switch and the little plastic square where ASR should be.

BTW?? Why should he consider himself lucky?
Old 10-09-2004, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
BTW?? Why should he consider himself lucky?
You lose a lot of functionality and sometimes performance at the benefit of artificial traction.

A lot of people turn it off every time they turn on their car because it can be a nuissance for the car to brake on them when they floor it.

Its useful to have in the winter though.

It turns out I don't have it.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:14 AM

Thats funny.. Its not a permanent thing.. You dont lose any functionality or performance with it off. I turn it off anytime its dry out..the first drop of rain hits the window and its back on. I appreciate it more and more as I increase my power levels. The first night home with the new setup I realized if I didnt have ASR I would be having one hell of a time.. the low track would trip if I gave it too much gas.. it allowed me to get used to my limits on slick surfaces. Its really no big deal to push a button when you want to race/mess around... and its there when you need it. There is also a reverse option you can purchase to automatically turn asr off when starting the car. I have been pushing the button on and off for almost 4 years now (daily driven, rain, snow, you name it)

I wouldnt consider not having a feature/option like that..."lucky" ..maybe thats just me.

I should also add Ive driven (slowly of course) right past people with trucks, fwd, 4wd, etc who were stuck in ditches during snow storms.. Snow deep enough the air dam was plowing a path in the snow... yet my "artificial" traction allowed me to drive ~30miles without incident. Its saved my *** hardcore on several occasions. I tried to take it off and cruise around before in the snow. HA! If I didnt have this option..this car wouldnt leave the house in snow EVER. Just my .02

Last edited by S8ER95Z; 10-09-2004 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:51 AM

it does help me alot in deep snow cause right outside my house thier is a big hill to climb and without it i would have had to get a long running start and probbaly still wouldnt make it up
Old 10-09-2004, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Red 97T/A A4
Another way to tell is to look under the hood and see if there is a huge black plastic box sitting about a 1/2 inch above the driver's side valve cover.
I have wondered what that was. Thanks for answering that question for me.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:20 PM

I've always found it funny when people put in that module that reverses the ASR switch........I mean c'mon.......how difficult is it to reach up and flip a switch?
Old 10-09-2004, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pandamonkey
I've always found it funny when people put in that module that reverses the ASR switch........I mean c'mon.......how difficult is it to reach up and flip a switch?

My thoughts exactly.. and honestly 99% of all my driving is highway/non agressive.. unless im in a situation where I need the ASR activated (snow, rain, ice)..I dont even notice if its on/or off.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
My thoughts exactly.. and honestly 99% of all my driving is highway/non agressive.. unless im in a situation where I need the ASR activated (snow, rain, ice)..I dont even notice if its on/or off.
yea, unless its raining(heh havnt seen snow since '89 here, and that was crap then, today i was playing with it on, i stopped at a stop sign, turned left(barely touched gas, and just let the rear of my car slid to the middle of street instead of turning, was fun honestly, unless is raining, to make my tires spin, you need to try to, but when i had crappy/bald tires, i remember it was alot easier to spin them...

cory
Old 10-09-2004, 08:35 PM

I have it and its great for when its raining. When I had crappy tires in the rain it really came in handy. Felt like the car was nagging at me, with the gas pedal kicking back at me. "No, idiot, you have crappy tires and need to take it easy."
As for snow, I don't drive my car in the snow, and we didn't have any last winter anyways.
Sometimes when I'm at the strip I'll forget to turn it off. I turn the car on and off a few times as I am in the staging lanes. Although with my routine, I spin the tires over a few times before I line up at the lights, so if its on, I'll catch it then.
Also, when my car shifts from 1st to 2nd, the LOW TRAC light always comes on, and used to come on at 2nd to 3rd with the old tires.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:47 PM

yea with it on, me shifting from 1-2 its feels tires spin a lil... ever since i put my good tires on, doesnt do it from 2-3 anymore... when i have my old bald ones, did it all the time 2-3