General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

T-Top Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 03:11 PM

T-Top Leak

Ive got a 97 M6 with a leak somewhere somehow the whole drivers side floor is soaked and it leaves puddles of water in the rear seat floor area now ive checked and there is a leak comming from the t-tops but it couldnt possibly leave that much water, i cleaned it up yesterday and washed it avoiding the leaking top and this morning the puddle is back im afraid of the floor rusting through so i want to fix this problem asap does anyone know of other kind of spots that water can come in and cause this?? i look at previous post and i didn't seem to come to a fair fix or conclusion on how to stop it so if anyone knows please help...

also what is the easist way to remove the carpet on that side of the car?? the seats brackets are rusted and the connection for the seats have alot of "GFS" on them so it's leaving me to believe that this problem has been around for a awhile and im sick of it and ready for it to end...
Old 11-06-2004, 03:34 PM

Re: T-Top Leak

I heard from somewhere that k y jelly does the trick I had the same lakes appearing in my car as you except on the passenger side, smeared alittle of the magic jelly on the seals, and no more leaks!
Old 11-06-2004, 04:05 PM

... That makes sense.. i'm going to try that, with my car.. (3rd gen). Some water gets in SOMEWHERE.. and leaks down the passenger door panel.

Although i get water in my hatch, too.. but there doesn't seem to be any visible water lines anywhere.. it's just the well gets damp, very weird. I have the bose locking cover, too.. I just don't see where the water is coming in from..
Old 11-06-2004, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
... That makes sense.. i'm going to try that, with my car.. (3rd gen). Some water gets in SOMEWHERE.. and leaks down the passenger door panel.

Although i get water in my hatch, too.. but there doesn't seem to be any visible water lines anywhere.. it's just the well gets damp, very weird. I have the bose locking cover, too.. I just don't see where the water is coming in from..
yeah i see no water lines either but somehow im getting all this water from somewhere..
Old 11-07-2004, 07:24 PM

Dude I've been trying to find my leak for almost 3 YEARS NOW!

I have another place I found today, get more caulk and see if that's where it comes from Never again, should have just bought a hard top for all this agrivation!

I've caulked all the seals, re done all the rubber, they are tight and solid, but drivers one is the worst! total river!

If I have to be out of the garage in the rain I have towills that I just lay out all over and hope they soke up the water before the carpet or seats

I have only 2 things that are pushing me towards selling and the T tops are one of them.

~Chris
Old 11-07-2004, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny-Z-Man
Hey Guys,

Try blowing out all the weather striping drain tubes with compressed air.

Another likely possibility why our cars are flooding is because the A/C Drain vent is most likely clogged, and is backing up water inside whenever it rains hard.

That also needs to be blown out with compressed air. That drain is located under the car (on the pass side) towards the bottom of the firewall.

Johnny-Z-Man
where are these drain tubes at?? And how do i get to them??

Last edited by My Iroc Z28; 11-07-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:09 PM

Hey Guys,

Try blowing out all the weather striping drain tubes with compressed air.

Another strong possibility why our cars are flooding may be because the A/C Drain tube is clogged, that backs up water inside the car whenever it rains hard!

That would also need to be blown out with compressed air. That drain is located under the car (on the pass side) towards the bottom of the firewall.

Johnny-Z-Man