General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

T/A-FB owners get in here: gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 11:44 AM

T/A-FB owners get in here: gas mileage

if you calculate your fuel mileage, what magnitude of a drop in fuel efficiency do you notice when driving with the lights up vs. down?

i havent been recording my fuel info recently, but i can definitely tell that my efficiency has gone down now that my retarded headlight is stuck up. i estimate about 2.5mpg per headlight. i used to get about 25mpg on the highway and now thats down to about 20 or so. a lot of my driving has been at night.

on the other hand i started driving more since it got cold out, is that part of it? im not complaining about my fuel mileage, im just curious what others have experienced with their lights up.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:22 PM

Re: T/A-FB owners get in here: gas mileage

Dont know if you have a 6 or 8 cyl and it shouldnt matter what your mileage is anyway. If it is a concern you own the wrong type of car. IMO
Old 02-21-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by JaysGone
Dont know if you have a 6 or 8 cyl and it shouldnt matter what your mileage is anyway. If it is a concern you own the wrong type of car. IMO
would you rather me start a thread about what cam to pick?? or what headers to get? NO, didn't think so.

anyway, i have an LS1 M6 T/A. i drove about 1000miles this weekend so 5mpg is a savings of about $20. mileage does matter, IMO. but this car actually gets the best mileage out of any other vehicle ive owned and driven for any length of time. (although its only because it has such a steep overdrive)
Old 02-21-2006, 05:43 PM

Your headlights in the upright position will 100% affect mileage as they increase drag. So do your mirrors. Anything thats sticking out or up will. Just drive with your windows open and watch your mileage decrease. By the way having the a/c on is more economical then driving with your windows down. They just did an episode recently on Myth Busters about this subject.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:55 PM

yeah the breaking point is somewhere around ~45mph that the a/c is more efficiant..... if your seriously looking for some way to get 1-2 mpg then buy a beater and use that insead of your V8....
Old 02-21-2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by mmmchickenboy
im not complaining about my fuel mileage, im just curious what others have experienced with their lights up.
and i like how the only ppl to respond have camaro's
Old 02-21-2006, 07:53 PM

mmmchickenboy Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmchickenboy
and i like how the only ppl to respond have camaro's

Ummmm maybe cause theres more of us then of you. And some of us have owned other cars with popup lights ummmmmmm like a corvette
Old 02-21-2006, 11:05 PM

you got punked BATCH!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:34 PM

THIS IS INDEED FACT:

Car and driver tested the 30th aniversary t/a convertible, camaro ss convertible, and cobra convertible in one comparison a few years ago, and they had a paragraph about this phenomonom. Fix that ****, it does affect mileage
Old 02-22-2006, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by JaysGone
Your headlights in the upright position will 100% affect mileage as they increase drag. So do your mirrors. Anything thats sticking out or up will. Just drive with your windows open and watch your mileage decrease. By the way having the a/c on is more economical then driving with your windows down. They just did an episode recently on Myth Busters about this subject.
You got that backwards. On myth busters the truck used more gas with the AC on then with the windows down. The truck with the A/C on ran out of gas 1st.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:38 AM

i hate when so many people say that if you own a camaro, you shouldnt care about gas milage and buy a honda, to those people i say get a life. For someone like me, whos cars are daily drivers, it is an issue. Its infact the reason why i bought a camaro, cause i wanted a V8, and i do mostly highway driving ( im averaging total 22 mpg over all) and to have this kind of power, in this price range, the mpg is beautiful. Is there a simular car that gets the same power for the gas mileage that cost less then 5 grand for a nice one, you let me know. I love my camaro!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:57 AM

Im a camaro owner, just chiming in, I get 16-18mpg in the city, I have no idea how much better it gets on the freeway. But yeah, your headlight will reduce mpg. I dont know how much but it will.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:26 AM

I have a TA and drove 1000 miles the other week going home and a 1000 back. Did most of my driving at night on the way back. I do 24mpg during the day and 21 at night so yes your headlights do affect it. Trust me.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:21 AM

robb4964

You got that backwards

Old 02-22-2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by mook99TA
I have a TA and drove 1000 miles the other week going home and a 1000 back. Did most of my driving at night on the way back. I do 24mpg during the day and 21 at night so yes your headlights do affect it. Trust me.
trust me, i know that the headlights affect efficiency. i wanted to know just how much. for me it seems to be about a 17-20% loss just by having the lights up. for you its appears to only be about 13%.

Quick Reply: T/A-FB owners get in here: gas mileage