General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

snappd off thermostat bolt in tpi intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:50 PM

snappd off thermostat bolt in tpi intake

while replacing a bad thermostat i snapped a bolt off in the aluminum tpi intake base. ruined two easy outs on it and shattered one off in the drilled out bolt. Been to two shops of liscensed mechanics and they told me to try the easy outs. I made sure i was using them properly. I am down to the last intake bolt on the passenger side front. it will not budge. last one till i can take the intake off. any suggestions? The bolts are torque bit bolts that hold the intake on. (i think that was stupid). I will be replacing them all with normal bolts when it goes back together. any suggestions on these two bolts will be helpful. been fighting with it for a week now
Old 07-29-2009, 03:55 PM

Ideas

Two ideas:

Try to tighten the bolt first and then loosen. Believe it or not..sometimes it actually works.

Use a plumbers torch (propane type that sells at most hardware stores and apply some heat to it. Just be careful not to burn any wiring...etc.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 PM

Angry Tried it.

I actually have already tried tightening it ta break it loose with no luck. already twisted or snapped 3 T-45 bits off in it. Thank god they were craftsman. I am also at the point where i have removed all the wiring around the area and already have the propane torch and used it today. No luck. ill keep trying but my car aint co-operatin
Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 PM

Impact Gun

You might want to use a t45 bit on a impact gun. Use a lot of down force on the bit while impacting. Only idea that I have left.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:07 AM

Weld a nut on the broken bolt.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:22 PM

Im gonna try....

Thanx i was thinkin an impact gun might work. i was told it would snap off the bit right away but it can't hurt trying especially since ive already replaced 3 t-45 bits doin this already. Also thankyou for the other response. i was also told this and as soon as i get the intake off im taking it up in my town to a professional welder so i don't have a chance of messin anything up. I think that will get the other snapped bolt out. hopefully these work. goin on three weeks without my car and i hate it.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:43 PM

Understand That

I know how you feel to be without your fbody..whenever mind is out of service I sure miss it as well. Good luck with the impact gun..it has to work.

Bob
Old 07-30-2009, 08:48 PM

ugh.

my car has something against me.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:56 AM

Impact driver

Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 AM

Impact

That is a thought Cause if he could get a t45 bit for one like it. Guess I am lazy and prefer the electric or air powered impact gun.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:45 PM

Im done messing with this at my house. This weekend my buddy that works at a shop in my town are towing my car up there for us to work on it. Its not open on the weekends and we're allowed up there. Hopefully the wider range of tools and things helps me to get this thing off. Then once i get it off i gotta start messin with it again to get the snapped thermostat bolt out. Im hope to have it goin by next week so i can put my new exhaust on. Thanx for the responses.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 PM

Good Deal

Good luck Burnin. I bet they will be able to get if off with a good impact.

Bob
Old 08-04-2009, 11:04 PM

Finally

Ok after having a few days straight of working on this one intake bolt and failing at all the above attempts said and feeling defeated tonite a mechanic friend of my dads came over and took a look at it and decided he would give it a try for me and after an hour with sum special mac tools and ALOT of hammering on a chisel it broke loose and was removed. i will post a picture of it the twisted remains of it that don't even resemble a bolt. Persistance is key. and being very violent with it i guess. im happy. now i only have to take the intake off and remove the snapped off thermostat bolt. another adventure i guess. that hopefully doesn't take 2 long.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:03 AM

Thumbs up Good deal

Congrats Burnin...
Old 08-18-2009, 10:59 AM

By the way after welding nut after nut to the mangled bolt in the intake it showed that this wasn't going to work. ALTHOUGH...the heat from the welding took the temper out of the hardened easy out that was shattered inside the hole and we were able to drill it out. HOWEVER...while re-tapping the hole and at the point where i was satisfied with the days progress and seeing my car running in the next couple days of course the tap i was using shattered off inside the hole. After this happened i was informed it was definately an overused tap i had found from the set but didn't know it was stressed that bad at all. Yes. I can't win. We then took a hardened chisel and with a bit of prescision and a large sludge hammer we shattered the tap and picked the bits out. Then finally redrilled and set it up for the helicoil. I do have my car running now and am enjoyin the benefits of my upgrades for the past week or so until today....

Quick Reply: snappd off thermostat bolt in tpi intake