General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

shave the heads or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:54 AM

Re: shave the heads or not?

Originally Posted by mrbadlt1
I beg to differ. Shaving or milling the head can be beneficial to increase the compression ratio. Depending how much you are willing to cut the head. If i were you on a near stock car, i would take .020 off the cylinder head, and find a good head gasket with a thin compressed thinkness so you get a good seal. Running a thinner head gasket will also bring the cylinder head closer to the piston. Which will depend on stock head gasket comp. thickness and aftermarket gaskets.
shaving the stock heads while using the stock cam, stock intake, etc. Will NOT make enough of a difference to even be noticeable.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 AM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by ryans01z28
well ya i was just saying i thought there may be a bunch of free mods LIKE the ls1/lt1
I meant with respect to the engine's capabilities. LS1 was detuned from the factory, L98 was maxed out.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hylton
I meant with respect to the engine's capabilities. LS1 was detuned from the factory, L98 was maxed out.
yes the ls1s were detuned i have made some really good numbers with mine & now im at 526hp & want more lol. like ive said in my othere posts i dont know much about these motors or what they r capable of doing but it sounds like there about maxed out from what ur saying. my other question is after i put the LTs on where does the o2 sensor go? do i need to wel in a bung in the rear by the collector where most of them are?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:05 AM
BBOMG Organizer

yes the ls1s were detuned i have made some really good numbers with mine & now im at 526hp & want more lol. like ive said in my othere posts i dont know much about these motors or what they r capable of doing but it sounds like there about maxed out from what ur saying. my other question is after i put the LTs on where does the o2 sensor go? do i need to wel in a bung in the rear by the collector where most of them are?
Yep.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Yep.
ok since it goes in the rear where do u get the extension for the harness? can i just make 1? he does work a a place that makes wiring harnesses so he could make it i would think or is there something special
Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 AM
BBOMG Organizer

ok since it goes in the rear where do u get the extension for the harness? can i just make 1? he does work a a place that makes wiring harnesses so he could make it i would think or is there something special
You can make it. Just use the same ends.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 AM

ok i wasnt sure if there was anything in the wires themselves like a resistor or anything. ill just clip it & soder wire to it
Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 AM

what kind of plugs r ppl running in these? cap & rotor also since i have that off to..
Old 02-08-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by redneckgames
shaving the stock heads while using the stock cam, stock intake, etc. Will NOT make enough of a difference to even be noticeable.
Well im sure that it wont make the SOTP dyno a night and day different, but it can definatly increase performance which depends on how much you mill the head, and the gasket choice. A cam swap would definatly complement the increase in compression. If you notice a majority of N/A high performance engines are high compression, normally 10:1 ratio if not more. Off the top of my head im not sure the comp ratio of the L98 (which im assuming is the 350) but like stated the heads dont flow very well, but if you plan on modding it in the future(cam, heads, etc.) it can definatly benefit you to mill the heads if you are removing them.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:42 AM

Well im sure that it wont make the SOTP dyno a night and day different, but it can definatly increase performance which depends on how much you mill the head, and the gasket choice. A cam swap would definatly complement the increase in compression. If you notice a majority of N/A high performance engines are high compression, normally 10:1 ratio if not more. Off the top of my head im not sure the comp ratio of the L98 (which im assuming is the 350) but like stated the heads dont flow very well, but if you plan on modding it in the future(cam, heads, etc.) it can definatly benefit you to mill the heads if you are removing them.
see thats the thing idk what his plans 4the future are. i dont think there to much for the car imo so i figure sine the heads are off i would suggest it to him & im sure he would go 4it. i tried to get him to buy different ones but he has no money to really put in2 it thats the big problem. this all came about because the one exhaust manifold is bad (hints the broken exhaust bolt)
Old 02-08-2011, 11:45 AM
BBOMG Organizer

.... but like stated the heads dont flow very well, but if you plan on modding it in the future(cam, heads, etc.) it can definatly benefit you to mill the heads if you are removing them.
Putting lipstick on a pig is a waste. Cheaper to simply buy a used set of vortec heads.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Putting lipstick on a pig is a waste. Cheaper to simply buy a used set of vortec heads.
well whats a used set going for these days? im thinking i bought mine for around $250. we would have to get a different intake & valve covers also right
Old 02-08-2011, 12:13 PM

mayb i should ask whats a good casting number to get
Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 PM

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for NOT shaving the heads. As mentioned, you usually have to shave the intake, depending on how much you take off. It can also slightly change the valve geometry. I personally prefer to get more compression by getting different heads or pistons.
One option is to get a used set of the aluminum "corvette" heads.
However if your thinking about doing upgrade in the future why not just put it back together for now and do some research on the L98, while your saving some money.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:04 PM

OK SCRATCH EVERYTHING!! He just sent me a text & said theres no way he can do any of this. he just wants me to mill the heads if they need it & put it back 2gether! DAMN IT ANYWAY! ohh well i tried. thanks 4 all the input its been a good learning process. now if i can remember how it all goes back together hmmmmm

Quick Reply: shave the heads or not?