General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

security module?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:48 PM

security module?

Backstory:

A few months ago my 1994 Z28 began the dreaded starting problem. I would go to start it, and the security would trip, the light come on, and I'd have to wait for the reset and try again...it started right up.

Initially I thought it was my key. I noticed whenever it happened my thumb had gone across the "chip" as I found the key on my keyring. I tried to make sure I didn't touch it.

The problem gradually became more frequent to the point it went from maybe once a week to a few times a week to everyday. Sometimes when it did start the security light stayed on (fail safe mode).

I stopped by the Chevy dealer and had the key tested....it was fine. I got an estimate for repair of the tumbler and it was $400-500.

I decided to start simple so I attempted to clean doen in the keyhole with CDC contact cleaner in case it was dirty in there. It didn't work. I was then going to do the bypass but injured my knee and have not been up to it.

Now:

My dad knows a mechanic and asked if he'd do it and what it would be. He was extremely reasonable (compared to the dealer) so I got it started and took it there.

It's not the tumbler. He had to take the dash apart to track it down.

Apparently the security system has it own module under the dash, beside the glove box, and by the heater. That module has decided to not play nice. He said that it controls the fuel pump and even if I did the ignition bypass the fuel pump wouldn't kick in. It's going to costs $700 or so when it's all said and done and it will be a few days because the module is one that isn't carried in stock.

Does that sound about right?
Old 07-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Do a search for VATS bypass.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:36 PM

I did.

I'm assuming what the guy is referring to is the TDM.

Checking around further on the 'net and I see that there might be a way to bypass it after all. The directions I saw were for a 95, but should work for my 94, correct? I know there were some differences in the computer somewhere about that time.

Also, while reading up on it, is it possible that it could be as easy as simply reprogramming it to ignore the issue altogether and start?

Reprogramming would probably be the easiest/cheapest, right?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:49 PM

Edit: After reading shoebox's site.

Illustration coutesy of "shoebox".

Last edited by Stl94LT1; 07-10-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by BigRob
I did.

I'm assuming what the guy is referring to is the TDM.

Checking around further on the 'net and I see that there might be a way to bypass it after all. The directions I saw were for a 95, but should work for my 94, correct? I know there were some differences in the computer somewhere about that time.

Also, while reading up on it, is it possible that it could be as easy as simply reprogramming it to ignore the issue altogether and start?

Reprogramming would probably be the easiest/cheapest, right?
Read this. (especially the end)

You can buy a cheap VATS bypass module on Ebay that will provide the signal to the PCM to allow fuel delivery.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:54 PM

About 10 years ago I had to do this on a '96, it cost around $600-$700 back then. If I had to do it today, I'd think I'd try to bypass it.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:20 AM

Thanks guys.

I printed Shoeboxe's page and the schematics and went by the garage first thing this morning.

He looked thing over, discussed the options, and then we checked out Ebay and a bypass module was only $20. He read the description, said it sounded good to him, so I approved it and he's ordering the bypass module for me. This will save me quite a bit of money as the parts he was going to order was $360. I'm laid off atm so saving $340 is really great for my wife and me.

Thanks again guys. You rock, especially you Shoebox!