General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

seat alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:29 PM

seat alternative?

Getting ready to do some weight reduction when I finish up the last round of mods to my '94. I'm upgrading all my interior to ebony from charcoal grey, and I have a set of '99 SS leather seats that in my opinion, are too heavy. Mostly, the driver's seat. I like the look and have considered swapping to a manual seat and changing the covers, but for $600 a set, that's way too much.

I know there are people on the board that have swapped the two front seats for less. I'm thinking I can sell the seats and buy two new fronts and possibly a new lightweight carpet for the money I get.

What have you guys done for lighter front seats? I would like reclinable seats if possible since I do drive this thing often and need I need harnesses anyway.

Other lightweight mods planned:

carpet
k-member
A-arms
SS hood

with my luck, I'll be right back where I started after adding back the true duals, the cage and the single plane
Old 10-24-2006, 02:53 PM

All you need is a set of maunal tracks for the drivers seat. I think the passenger side tracks are the same. Best way to lighten the carpet is to remove the padded backing from the stock carpet.

While an aftermarket SS hood is lighter than a steel one. The OEM GM SS hood is not. I was surprised to find out it's actually heavier that a stock steel one.

Re'
Old 10-24-2006, 09:28 PM

I bought some used sparcos off of ebay for 150 bucks and had them recovered for less than 100. I had them recovered becuse they had a few burn holes and i hated the Sparco name that was on them. I also replaced the carpet with some new light weight molded carpet in black from http://www.stockinterriors.com. I think it was close to 100 bucks for the carpet and it was shipped and at my door in 3 days. It took about 3 hours to put the carpet in as it requires a little trimming on the edges. They leave it a little bit long for the best fit. The seats weigh close to 60 lbs lighter and the carpet is close to 25 lbs lighter. Could be even lighter if you removed the light weight padding from it i think it might be close to 35 lbs lighter with out the padding.

my fiberglass hood weighs in at a little over 9 lbs . Even my fron and rear bumpers weight less than the stock ones. If your looking for weight reduction i would remove the steel bumper supports and the Ac system. Ie Ac compressor, condenser, lines, canister, evap.

Last edited by oneslowz28; 10-24-2006 at 09:31 PM.