General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Restore a 94 Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 07:29 PM

Restore a 94 Z28?

I'm hoping someone can help me with a few restoration questions on my 94 Z28.

The car has been sitting for about 3 years- it was my wifes car originally, and upon her passing away, I put the car up trying to decide if I wanted to sell it.

I've decided on keeping the Z, and need to restore some items on it. Namely, the interior is pretty much shot. It needs a new console, new carpet, etc. The steering wheel could be replaced, and the seats need recovered. There is some plastic in the back that needs replaced also. Plus, the needle on the gauges need to be replaced. Is there a source for stuff like this?

The paint and body is not a problem..I paint Custom H-D's (like Orange County Chopper things) so that part is not an issue. I may do a nice bodykit or similar.

I am figuring I'd like to paint the car, upgrade the suspension and wheels (18" is what I've heard looks good on these cars) and will pull the motor and tranny and swap out for a shortblock (maybe a 383?) and a rebuild on the tranny.

Any sources you guys use for this stuff?

TIA!!

Last edited by TP121; 05-18-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:56 PM

I know there's some websites frequented by members here, such as gmpartsdirect.com but I've never used them. When I've needed to replace interior parts, including some of the ones you mentioned, I got my parts from junkyards and eBay. I'm sure others will help out, just figured I'd let you know where I get my stuff from.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:25 AM

GM parts direct had little to nothing for the car, at least when doing a general search. Thanks for the reply though. I guess no one restores these cars this early.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:03 AM

Year One has some things, as well as F-Body Motorsports. You might wanna check them out. Year One sells almost everything for the interior.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:23 AM

WATCH eBay!
No joke - it is your greatest source. You can buy all the stuff new - but it will cost you an arm and a leg - and most times you can find used stuff in excellent condition.

If I were you - I would spend a little time searching on what kind of interior I wanted to go with. Since you are pretty much doing an all out interior swap - you could go with any car you wanted too from '93+. The '98+ Trans Am's have the nicest IMO.

I know that right now there is a post on LS1.com for a complete black T/A interior minus the seats. PM or e-mail me for the link - it is a very good price - but I am waiting in line on some parts if he decides to split it up - so I don't want to make it too well known.

Also on eBay lots of times there are several complete interiors for sale - seats and all. Like this one.

Also watch the for sale section on this board and other F-Body boards. You can get a good deal lots of times there.

And since you mentioned needing a console - I have an A4 console out of a 00' Camaro that I will sell if you are interested. It's not really up for sale - but if you are ready to get rolling - just thought I would try to help you out a little.

Just use lots of sources, and like I said - do some research - see what interior parts you like the best from what years - you can swap out all of it.

If you have questions on a lot of this stuff - try posting in the Appearance Section, there are lots of people that frequent there that have already done a lot of this stuff.

Good luck - and welcome to CZ28.com.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:33 AM

Yeah definately watch ebay, good luck with the car, I would definately keep it, and fix it up nice in memory of you wife
Old 05-19-2004, 10:04 AM

I'll double Ebay as being a good source for interiors pieces. You may have luck at junk-yards also.
Unfortunately there's a lot of idiots out there who manage to total relatively low mileage cars.

Year One has a catalog for 3rd & 4th Gen F-Bodies:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=G
Old 05-19-2004, 12:26 PM

Ebay is a GREAT sorce for this little stuff. Also, check your local posts for people parting out wrecked cars.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by TP121
GM parts direct had little to nothing for the car, at least when doing a general search. Thanks for the reply though. I guess no one restores these cars this early.
Yeah there search options suck, but you have to ask there customer service for the item #'s and see if they can run a search and see if they have what you need. its kinda f@cked up but thats how they do it.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:17 PM

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I can already see what a great community forum this is.

EBAY is a great source so I have learned over the past 12 hours

Now a few simple questions-

As posted, I plan on freshening up the motor..I would think that 350 hp would be easily obtainable outta the LT1 without sacfricing the drivability, right? I am looking at shortblock builders right now..but man, browsing the forum here seems like there is not really a company who stands outta the crowd. I will also need to freshen up the tranny too- so any recommendations there would also be helpful.

Also, what can I get by with interior wise..meaning what is the year cutoff that applies or will interchange to my 94? Can you go all the way up to 2001?
Old 05-19-2004, 11:44 PM

The stuff that easily swaps and matches your interior was used in Camaros till 96. In 97 GM changed to the interior that was used in the F bodies till their demise. As far as your 350 HP goes, try contacting Lloyd Elliot or Phil at AI about one of their head/cam packages. Quite a few people have hit over 400 RWHP with their setups on the stock short block.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by TP121
As posted, I plan on freshening up the motor..I would think that 350 hp would be easily obtainable outta the LT1 without sacfricing the drivability, right? I am looking at shortblock builders right now..but man, browsing the forum here seems like there is not really a company who stands outta the crowd. I will also need to freshen up the tranny too- so any recommendations there would also be helpful.

Also, what can I get by with interior wise..meaning what is the year cutoff that applies or will interchange to my 94? Can you go all the way up to 2001?
You should be able to reach 350 RWHP out of an LT1 without too much trouble at all. Like 97WS6SCharged said - look into some head/cam packages and maybe find a good tuner near you and stick with them, and you should be well on your way.

As for the tranny - ask some of your local guys who they use - find out who you think you can build confidence in. Any transmission shop should be able to take care of you - but you want someone you can depend on.

The interior is also like ^ mentioned. From 94-96 they are exactly the same. (At least, very very close). 93 had yellow accents on gauges and *****. You can use a complete interior from '97+ or you can use just certain parts if you like them better.

You can also use a Trans Am or Pontiac interior if the red gauges are what you like. Also, most people (including myself) think the T/A interior is the nicest.

It all fits as long as you get all the pieces.

You should be able to look around on eBay Cardomain etc. and see pics of all the different styles. Even just look at links in people's signatures and the website links below their posts here and your will find lots of pics to help you decide what you want.

BTW - where are you located?
Old 05-20-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by 94BlackBowtie
BTW - where are you located?

I need to update or finish my sig. I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Unfortunately for me, we do not have any reliable places here that can build my motor, or build my tranny for me. I'm going to research the Charlotte area-as big as NASCAR is up there, and all the small shops that have spun guys off into that market, I'm confident I can find a reputable place.

The F-Body link someone gave me is awesome..many many nice parts there. I still need a source for the needle/pointers for the gauges. They are severely faded. Thats probably a dealer item.

Thanks for the info, guys...its VERY MUCH appreciated.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
The stuff that easily swaps and matches your interior was used in Camaros till 96. In 97 GM changed to the interior that was used in the F bodies till their demise. As far as your 350 HP goes, try contacting Lloyd Elliot or Phil at AI about one of their head/cam packages. Quite a few people have hit over 400 RWHP with their setups on the stock short block.

What is AI?
Old 05-20-2004, 01:26 PM

AI is the acronym for "Advance Induction". They do great work for the LT1 engines, and I also think they are located in North Carolina. Try www.advancedinduction.com , you should be able to get their phone number from their website. I think they will probably be able to help you out with the whole engine. Good luck.

Last edited by Camaro_Maniac63; 05-20-2004 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Restore a 94 Z28?