General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Rebuilt Power Steering Gear from Autozone....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 12:40 AM

Rebuilt Power Steering Gear from Autozone....

I just wanted to see how many here have purchased the rebuilt power steering rack from Autozone. Have you had any problems with it? I have some slop in mine and I think I'm going to have to replace it. It costs only $135 and I'm sure that will beat the heck out of what GM will want for one. Comments? Anybody done this yet? Thx!
Old 06-18-2005, 07:17 AM

Re: Rebuilt Power Steering Gear from Autozone....

Originally Posted by ACE1252
I just wanted to see how many here have purchased the rebuilt power steering rack from Autozone. Have you had any problems with it? I have some slop in mine and I think I'm going to have to replace it. It costs only $135 and I'm sure that will beat the heck out of what GM will want for one. Comments? Anybody done this yet? Thx!
I ordered one and it came within a few days, then I took it back because I decided I was going to wait until after the summer. It looked just fine and had the inner tie rods already mounted. I will probably buy one of these again when I decide to actually fix this problem (same thing, slack in the rack).
Old 06-18-2005, 10:02 AM

There are two different rack offered... Be sure to get the Sport Suspension one..
Old 06-18-2005, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by n2ceptor
There are two different rack offered... Be sure to get the Sport Suspension one..

Good point. When you order it will ask you which type of gear you want. Double check the RPO code on the order form with what's in your car. You will find it on the RPO sticker in your glove box.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by RocCityZman
I ordered one and it came within a few days, then I took it back because I decided I was going to wait until after the summer. It looked just fine and had the inner tie rods already mounted. I will probably buy one of these again when I decide to actually fix this problem (same thing, slack in the rack).
So this unit comes with the inner tie rods for only $135?
I guess I won't be replacing the inner tie rods at $30 each, and instead will opt for replacing the whole rack. Sounds like a good deal!
Old 06-18-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by RocCityZman
Good point. When you order it will ask you which type of gear you want. Double check the RPO code on the order form with what's in your car. You will find it on the RPO sticker in your glove box.
The sticker should also be on the end of the driver's side door. If it has not peeled off.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:57 PM

I've got about 2,000 miles on my rebuilt rack I got from autopartsonline.com. It was $130 and also came with the inner tie rods and new boots. Looks identical to the stock GM unit and works great.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lower
So this unit comes with the inner tie rods for only $135?
I guess I won't be replacing the inner tie rods at $30 each, and instead will opt for replacing the whole rack. Sounds like a good deal!
Yup...and I'm pretty sure you can take the core back to the nearest Autozone store instead of shipping it back. Like I said, I ended up returning mine so I could work on another project and I took it to the store and got full credit back.