General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Rear Window Defroster

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 08:10 AM

Rear Window Defroster

Every time i use my defroster it only runs for a few minutes then quits , it seems to be over heating the relay in the fuse box ,it also kills my power seat any suggestions ?
Old 05-03-2006, 08:28 AM

Re: Rear Window Defroster

Originally Posted by U240
Every time i use my defroster it only runs for a few minutes then quits , it seems to be over heating the relay in the fuse box ,it also kills my power seat any suggestions ?
Replace the switch. It contains the timer and could very easily blow the fuse if it is bad. It is also common for it to fail.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:57 AM

Most people replace the circuit breaker in the fuse box with a 30 amp fuse. I did this and my defroster runs the preset time before shutting off.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by TraceZ
Replace the switch. It contains the timer and could very easily blow the fuse if it is bad. It is also common for it to fail.
If you're going to do this, check out the HVAC control panels on Ebay. They generally sell for around $10 plus another $7 for S&H. The dealerships charge well over $100 for the same unit and you've gopt to buy the whole thing to get the switch card.

I tried 2 different units out of junked cars and mine continues doing the same thing. It may fix yours but I'd recommend trying something other things first.

Many people swap the breaker with a fuse. The main problem people seem to have with that solution is the plastic surrounding the contacts in the fuse block gets hot enough to deform. If you don't care about that then this would probably be an ok way to go.

I've heard elsewhere by operating the defrosted several times in a row over the years the contacts in the fuse block get hot enough to lose some of their ability to conduct current as well. The result is heat that causes the breaker to switch off and remain off until it cools back down. The proposed solution was to replace the contacts in the fuse block and avoid using the defroster to melt a thick layer of snow or ice off the back window.

If you figure it out, please post your solution. Practically every board out there has people with this problem though no one reports the fix if they're found one.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:10 AM

mine does the same thing... *subscribe*
Old 05-03-2006, 11:21 AM

Try the fuse fix before going on to something more complex.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdStud
mine does the same thing... *subscribe*
I just said how to fix it. There have been many posts on here explaining that the fuse mod will fix it.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by 98supersport
Many people swap the breaker with a fuse. The main problem people seem to have with that solution is the plastic surrounding the contacts in the fuse block gets hot enough to deform. If you don't care about that then this would probably be an ok way to go.

I've heard elsewhere by operating the defrosted several times in a row over the years the contacts in the fuse block get hot enough to lose some of their ability to conduct current as well. The result is heat that causes the breaker to switch off and remain off until it cools back down. The proposed solution was to replace the contacts in the fuse block and avoid using the defroster to melt a thick layer of snow or ice off the back window.

If you figure it out, please post your solution. Practically every board out there has people with this problem though no one reports the fix if they're found one.
The original circuit breaker was 30amp. The fuse you put in to replace it is a 30 amp fuse so there is no heat distortion or lack of conduction over time because of heat. It works just like a normal 30 amp fuse if it gets overloaded it blows if not its fine.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Most people replace the circuit breaker in the fuse box with a 30 amp fuse. I did this and my defroster runs the preset time before shutting off.
Some people say replacing the circuit breaker with a new one works too.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lower
Some people say replacing the circuit breaker with a new one works too.
Yes that works too but over time the new circuit breaker will give you trouble just like the old one. Over time it takes less and less juice to break the circuit.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:11 PM

I tried replacing the circuit breaker. Didn't work. The fuse did work.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:50 PM

This is the first i've heard that replacing the breaker with a fuse would melt the fuse block. I just ran out to my car to check it and i see no signs of melting or deformation.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by moparman
I tried replacing the circuit breaker. Didn't work. The fuse did work.
Same here. I've had a fuse in it for 6 years. No problem other than the fuse is a little deformed from the heat (as previously stated, if it draws enough current, it's going to blow anyway, so there is no reduction in safety from what the breaker provides). The fuse block has no damage. Defogger works like it is supposed to.