General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

rap module

Old 09-08-2005, 09:32 PM

rap module

my radio goes on and off intermitently and usually my radio stays on even after i turn off the car and it will turn off when i open the door, but now the radio shut s off with the ignition. the wierd part is that it only does it sometimes. could it be the rap module going out? the car is a 97 firebird formula btw. thanks
Old 09-08-2005, 10:23 PM

Re: rap module

Could be RAP related. The RAP functions are part of the BCM in 96-97s. There is no separate RAP module as in earlier years.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:18 PM

Mine has been doing that lately too, I think my BCM is starting to go out or something. It's like it thinks the Radio fuse is pulled out, becuase if I turn the key backwards, it is in programming mode. But, sometimes my radio/power windows will stay on perfectly, sometimes if I hit a bump, they'll just go out and come back on, sometimes they stay off and when i hit a bump they come on, and sometimes I have to beat the **** out of my dash so I can close my windows when I park my car. It's annoying, but I haven't have the time or money to replace my BCM yet, at least I think it's my BCM going out, i don't want ot have to track down some faulty wiring.

Note: Be careful hitting your dash too hard, I beat the **** out of mine because I don't have air bags anymore, so I'm not risking them blowing up Don't want to see someone getting nailed in the face with an air bag.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:45 AM

More than likely the BCM is ok since it also controls many other functions and noone mentioned them. Always assume the device is ok and check wires first before you go buying things.

The radio and the windows are supplied power from the BCM through the fuse, not the battery. The radio is probably loosing either the power or its ground. All the power connections from the BCM to the radio must be checked and the ground to the radio should also. In the case of the guy with both windows and radio going out, more than likely he's loosing the connection on C2 from the BCM to the fuse block. At the fuse block the power splits off to both fuses.

The first thing to do is remove the connector at the BCM, look at it and reconnect it. Then check the ground to the radio. Depending on the model radio, the ground is either on the stud under the RH or the LH kick panel.

Please don't just go buy another BCM.