General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

RaceTrack Gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 11:12 AM

RaceTrack Gas

Never never never never NEVER buy their gas.

Here's the story...

I went to fillup for my trip to Athens with RaceTrack gas because at the time, they were the cheapest on the street. Well, midway to Athens I got into it with a GT and I got up to about 70 and the car started puttering and stopped pulling... then we went from a light and it felt like it was misfiring, then the dreaded SES came on. The code read P1153, Lean Bank 2 Sensor 1, in anotherwords my Pass side O2 before the cats was crapping out. Well I went to get all the parts for my tuneup and as soon as I pulled out of Autozone, the SES disapeared and I got alot of my power back. Well a week later the problem happens again after I fill up at RaceTrack in StoneMountain GA (about 30 miles from where I live) and the SES comes back on and so does the rough riding. I pull over into QT and fill up after I have driven the car darn near dry and fill up. Boom it's gone...SES disapears and smoothe ride returns. As if I hadn't learned my lesson, RaceTrack off of HWY 124 had gas down to $1.59 so I jumped on it. Filled up and on my return trip home, I got an SES and the same rough riding. Well I grew a brain and went to Advanced Auto, bought some Lucas fuel cleaner, and topped it off with 2 gallons of BP gas, and as soon as I pulled out the gas station, the SES went off although it was still alittle rough until the next day I started it....

Conclusion, RaceTrack gas sucks...

From now on, I'm using only Shell, BP, or Chevron and thats only if I really have too...
Old 11-27-2004, 11:31 AM

Re: RaceTrack Gas

Did you replace those 02's yet? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that RaceTrak did not cause your o2's to go bad, specially with high mileage. When you stop your car (turn the ign off) and restart it, your not running in closed loop yet. The computer is ignoring the reading from the 02, and does not know its bad. When you warm up a bit and get into closed loop, after a few minutes it realises something is wrong and throws your SES.......
Old 11-27-2004, 06:04 PM

Kind of easy to blame maintenance issues on a gas station, eh?

TS
Old 11-27-2004, 06:08 PM

Used racetrack gas on my best bone-stock run of 13.08, and I felt there was more in it but 14 hours at the track in blazing heat made me tired and I went home.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Birdman7389
Did you replace those 02's yet? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that RaceTrak did not cause your o2's to go bad, specially with high mileage. When you stop your car (turn the ign off) and restart it, your not running in closed loop yet. The computer is ignoring the reading from the 02, and does not know its bad. When you warm up a bit and get into closed loop, after a few minutes it realises something is wrong and throws your SES.......
Yea, you maybe right... The SES is staying on now and I'm using BP gas now. Whats closed and open loop? In the morning the car runs fine, SES or no SES and then after alittle driving the gas pedal feels fleshy and the car feels powerless like it doesn't wanna go. It DOESN'T feel like it's misfiring or bucking it just feels like it's....sleeping...
Old 11-30-2004, 09:00 PM

Before the car warms up good the computer runs the car on one loop circuit. (Believe it's open, always get the two mixed up) Basically the first loop, open, runs the car off a pre-programmed fuel map and such and more or less ignores the car's own sensors that help the computer tune the car while you're driving. After the car warms up some, the computer switches into closed loop and thus starts reading the sensors and adjusting the car's tune. Since the computer is ignoring the O2's as well as a few other sensors for the first few minutes of driving, your check engine light will not come on pertaining to one of them. After the car warms up and the computer goes into closed loop, however, the computer reads the O2 sensors and thus judges one of your cylinder banks to be lean because of the bad O2 sensor.

An O2 sensor is something that most people recommend changing with a regualr tune-up anyway, and yes, they are expensive, about 50 bucks a pop last time I checked, but they are necessary in providing the computer with tuning information, especially the front ones. The rear ones pretty much only serve to tell the computer whether or not the cat is doing it's job.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:21 PM

I see, so thats why it comes with a random misfire code?
Old 12-01-2004, 02:32 PM

Are you sure you havent been pumping deisel?

Kidding, I use it all the time in my BMW and my TA, no problems.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I see, so thats why it comes with a random misfire code?
Yep, jbird's explanation was correct. You want to get Delco 02's not the Bosch from your local parts place. Your local dealership will probably get you $70 a pop, but Jason Cromer has them for around $39, if you can wait a day or two for shipping....

Jason's # is- (877)-726-8295
Old 12-02-2004, 12:14 PM

Hmm, I always thought open loop was the one that accepted input from the sensors? Open loop= Open becuase it does not follow a set program and depends on sensor feedback.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by falchulk
Hmm, I always thought open loop was the one that accepted input from the sensors? Open loop= Open becuase it does not follow a set program and depends on sensor feedback.

Nope, its kinda confusing but,

open loop= not recieving feedback from sensors, just using the fuel and spark tables.

closed loop= constantly adjusting fuel and spark because the 02's have warmed up and are giving accurate readings

When his car warms up, and switches to closed loop, he gets an incorrect reading which makes the car run rich/lean on that side.