General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Question about wiring headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:07 PM

Question about wiring headlights

I have done a big block conversion in my car and in the process I damaged my old wiring harness and had to buy a new one. When I bought the new one it was from a Camaro and not a TA. Suffice to say, the headlights are different.

Rather than try to rig something with the Camaros harness I was thinking about just wiring the headlights into a switch panel that I already have assembled. I have an extra switch not being used.

All I would have to do is ground it and run seaparate wires to each headlight, correct?
Old 03-11-2007, 02:54 PM

i have one

Originally Posted by jerrysta
I have done a big block conversion in my car and in the process I damaged my old wiring harness and had to buy a new one. When I bought the new one it was from a Camaro and not a TA. Suffice to say, the headlights are different.

Rather than try to rig something with the Camaros harness I was thinking about just wiring the headlights into a switch panel that I already have assembled. I have an extra switch not being used.

All I would have to do is ground it and run seaparate wires to each headlight, correct?
I have a good used 1995 Formula headlight harness, plug and play man.

To answer your question::
No you cant wire it that way as the headlights draw too many amps and would melt the wires and the switch. What you need to do is have a headlight switch going to a set of two relays, and a dimmer switch. The relays would use heavier wire from the battery, through a fuse to power the headlights direct (instead of all them amps going from the battery, through the switch and back to the headlights).