General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

OK, one last time....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 08:27 PM

OK, one last time....

LOL, bear with me here. I know I've posted about CAI's before, but I need a final word now.

I just got finished reviewing my funds online, and as it turns out, I have enough comfort space in my savings account to put down the money for a CAI.....so...

Before I go ahead and order one tonight, which one should I get? My engine is completely stock, and my only plans in the near future are gears, a tune, and a 160 thermostat.

Which CAI should I go for that would offer me the simplest install and the most performance? Thanks for the help in advance, and I promise this is the last post about CAI's from me, lol.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:50 PM

Re: OK, one last time....

Look into fabricating your own. Get a K&N cone filter and some piping to do it yourself. Do a search for it, I plan on doing this some time in the near future.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:51 PM

I really don't know if there is much performance difference between the different manufacturers. I bought a Lingenfelter and have been really happy with it. My car is basically the same as yours, 160 stat and CAI, and like you I plan on a tune (madz28) in the near future.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by flatlander757
Look into fabricating your own. Get a K&N cone filter and some piping to do it yourself. Do a search for it, I plan on doing this some time in the near future.
Ehhh I thought about it but I'm not that experienced in that area and it won't come out right, lol.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
I really don't know if there is much performance difference between the different manufacturers. I bought a Lingenfelter and have been really happy with it. My car is basically the same as yours, 160 stat and CAI, and like you I plan on a tune (madz28) in the near future.
OK cool........I also want the least amount of trouble as possible, as far as installation goes. I've heard with some of them out there, you have to shove things out of the way and/or cut or shave stuff to make it fit....I want to avoid as much of that as possible.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:35 PM

OK, here's where I stand....

At Jegs.com they have:

Moroso CAI: $189.99
K&N FIPK: $224.99

And at SLPonline.com:

SLP CAI: $224.99

LOL what should I do? My choice is between those three.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:50 PM

I have a SLP on my car, and I've been really happy with it. No install issues, it slips right in where the stock airbox would sit. I felt a big performance gain with it, too. I'm not sure, but it seems like two smaller filters would be more efficient than one bigger one.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:24 AM

Just about all the cai's are gonna be the same.

I have had the GMPP (chrome slp), and the lingenfelter. While the chrome of the GMPP was nice, the ling cost a bundle less. They were running them for like 149 for a while on the lingenfelter website.

If I were you, I'd scour the classifieds and pick up a used K&N/SLP/Ling/moroso for ~$100
Old 08-21-2005, 12:25 AM

Oh, the Lingenfelter Supertube comes with a HUGE K&N
Old 08-21-2005, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by GT KILLER
OK, here's where I stand....

At Jegs.com they have:

Moroso CAI: $189.99
K&N FIPK: $224.99

And at SLPonline.com:

SLP CAI: $224.99

LOL what should I do? My choice is between those three.
Just buy one used out of the for sale section from a reputable seller. I just bought my K&N FIPK (decided to ditch the Ram Air) and i got the FIPK for $125 shipped. It came with the recharge kit and the filter was like new as long with everything else. This saved me at about $100. Thats money that is best put towards more mods. CAI's are always for sale, if not be patient and one will turn up. They can be had all day long for $100-125 and i've seen all the brands you've listed for sale over there recently. If you ask me if the part can't physically wear out, its stupid to buy it new and pay full price.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:19 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys......I'm definitely gonna look around at used and new ones and order one tomorrow. I would do it right now, but I'd probably be better off going to bed, if ya know what I mean. I don't wanna bust out my credit card when I'm not "all there".
Old 08-22-2005, 09:28 AM

For what it is worth, I have the Moroso unit, it was fairly cheap as compared to some of the others on the market, and the install wasn't very difficult.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 AM

I was interested in buying a CAI for mine and was looking at this one. http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...38#post3278838 This guy just sent me pics today and i must say its pretty nice. I'd go for it and save the extra $100. By the way i don't know this guy i was just interested in the setup.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:23 PM

I have a K&N i paid 185 ish including the new filter i bought and the recharge kit i think i paid a little too much but whatever. It is kind of a pain because i thought it would just go in but you have to take off the air dam and put the filter in from under the car so everytime you want to check the filter you have to take the airdam off and pull out the filter not a huge pain but I like things easy especially when it is just the air filter but hopefully the filter doesnt need to be checked on as much as a regular paper element.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:35 PM

I want the slp intake myself, FYI I've seen slp intakes go brand new "buy it now" on ebay for 189 give or take 2 bucks shipped.

Quick Reply: OK, one last time....