General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

OEM bumper cover fit.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 12:35 PM

OEM bumper cover fit.

Is it common for OEM bumper covers to not line up and look like a piece of junk?

96 z28 was in a accident, took it to the local dearlership for repairs. I have had to bring the car back to them 4 times now to have them fix 15-20 things they did not do correct the first time. When I brought the car home the first time the front bumper fit perfect. After driving it for a week i noticed the retainers for the pass fender popped off and the front bumper was not lining up at all. There is a gap where it meets the fender on both sides and the turn signal cover is cutting into the bumper. The bottom where it wraps into the wheel well is hanging. I take it back in. Now they cant get the bumper cover to line up. Looks like they just tried to force it on there.

I tell them thats not acceptable they need to fix it right.I talk to the State Farm guy he goes to look at it and he says "thats the way the Camaro and Corvette OEM bumpers fit you cant do anything about it". He tells me i need to go look at some camaros because they are all like that.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:50 PM

Re: OEM bumper cover fit.

Are you sure they used a GM part? Shops are famous for using knock-off stuff that fits poorly. If they did use the GM part, did they replace the honeycomb panels behind it?
That's bunk about what the Stare Farm guy said about the fit.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:13 PM

They claimed to have used a brand new OEM bumper cover.
part # 10248139

The lady i spoke to at State Farm said they were charged for a refurbished bumper and she didnt see any charges for the retainers or anything that goes under the bumper. As far as what they replaced under the bumper cover I have no idea. How can i be sure they repaired and replaced everything under there they should have?

State Farm and the dealership are incahoots so im having a hard time getting this done right.This will be the fourth time they have tried to line up this bumper cover. I should be entiltled to my body panels lining up no?

If it comes back and it is still not right how do i approach this situation?

Last edited by Sh4Dy; 08-12-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:15 AM

If you have something with a GM part # on it then you'll eventually get to proving whether or not it's actually a GM part. I wonder if the oem covers have the part # embossed in them? Or maybe a GM logo?

If they lied to you, then you have a piece of documentation stating they ordered a GM part and another piece - somewhere - showing they ordered a crap piece.

Perhaps the BBB should be notified. I think you can also contact some agency that governs the insurance business?

... and to think of all those goofy *** State Farm commercials with the doofy sounding brutha basically telling you how you should pay an inflated premium for all the wonderful hand holding they give you.

Humans suck.