General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Obd1 Swap To Obd2 Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 10:23 PM

Re: Obd1 Swap To Obd2 Some Questions

ok so here it is 11.20pm and i just left my storage unit from working on the z28 and i double checked everything and this is what i come up with,

no spark, at all

no injector pulse,

no fuel pump,

no relays clicking when i turn on the key.

does this with both the obd1 and the obd2 pcm`s and they are both known good units.

i guess im gonna repin the plug tomorrow, i`ll try to get the info from the all data at my work for the 1997 harness and the 1994 harness and see what the difference is.

PLEASE if anyone here knows the difference dont be affraid to tell me. thanks in advanced.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:40 PM

If you look at the pinout diagrams in the wiring section on my Tech Page, you will see what is different.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:56 PM

OK, I was looking at THIS picture and have a question... Where does the engine harness connect to the rest of the car?? I see where it connects to the PCM and all the motor sensors, but how does it interface with the interior harness? I dont see a plug for that? How does the PCM know what position the key is in?

Nevermind. I think I just answered my own question The PCM has 4 plugs. 3 go to the engine harness and the other 1 PLUG D looks like it goes to the interior harness? is that right?

So, did you replace the entire interior harness from the PCM back? If so, check out Rob's pinouts on plug D and make sure you have the proper voltages on the proper pins.

Last edited by TraceZ; 12-20-2004 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by TABAHR
OK, I was looking at THIS picture and have a question... Where does the engine harness connect to the rest of the car?? I see where it connects to the PCM and all the motor sensors, but how does it interface with the interior harness? I dont see a plug for that? How does the PCM know what position the key is in?

Nevermind. I think I just answered my own question The PCM has 4 plugs. 3 go to the engine harness and the other 1 PLUG D looks like it goes to the interior harness? is that right?

So, did you replace the entire interior harness from the PCM back? If so, check out Rob's pinouts on plug D and make sure you have the proper voltages on the proper pins.
The four circled connectors on the lower left go into the passenger compartment-no others do from the engine harness. You can find pinout info on them on the harness connector faces link.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:49 AM

no, thats not true, my car has one large plug inside on the driver side that plugs into the dash and that plug goes outside and across to the pcm.

theres not any plugs that go through the firewall on the passenger side of the car.

the car still has the 1994 engine harness and all i changed is from the large plug on the driver side dash to the tail lights.

im gonna look today on my all data and see if i can pull diagrams and figure out what the differences are.

i already tried jumpimg 12volts to all the larger wires on the connecter and it still dont spark or get fuel, its like theres just one wire thats for the pcm thats not getting power.

on a dodge that i used to own i had the same problem and started testing wires and i found one wire that was corroded and i replaced it and it all started working again,

i hear NO relays clicking when i turn on the key, not even 1, and when i crank it i do hear a relay but its for the drl.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:26 PM

Your car must be different from all others I have seen.

There is a lighting/power harness on the driver's side, but I don't see how it can directly connect to the PCM. It may connect into the engine harness at C100 and C105, though.

If you don't have the connectors I show going through the firewall behind the PCM, I don't know how your car is ever going to work.

Last edited by shoebox; 12-21-2004 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:54 PM

i dont see where the plugs would be in my car. i cant see any plug on the passenger side, and the connector on the driver side that im talking about is the 200a-200b-200c-200d. its a 48 pin plug that connects the i/p harness, the bcm, and the lights together.

i got the schematic today from both cars and found about seven wires that i need to repin and im then gonna see if it will start up.

now, the pcm might come inside the car and run behind the heater box and then connect on the driver side, that im not sure because i didnt pull the heater box.

there is no visible plug through the firewall on the inside of the car anywhere on the passenger side.

am i missing something? im gonna go tonite and repin those other wires and see if it will start, i will look again for that pcm harness, i`ll keep you posted as to what happens.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:21 PM

If you remove the PCM, there is a grommet in the firewall right behind it containing several wires. I poked a hole through it to run the power wire for my stereo amp.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by TABAHR
If you remove the PCM, there is a grommet in the firewall right behind it containing several wires. I poked a hole through it to run the power wire for my stereo amp.
yeah, the engine harness connects to the engine sensors, ect., the 4 connectors at the PCM, 3 connectors(maybe 4) inside the pass kick panel(come through a grommet under the pcm) and on 94 and newer, 2 plugs(only 1 plug on 93s) on top of the pass wheel well to the front harness

I stripped a 93 and a 94, I still have the 94 engine fully dressed in the garage
Old 12-21-2004, 10:22 PM

The grommet under the PCM is almost impossible to see from inside the car. I guarantee you it is there.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:39 AM

ok, there is a small rubber gromet on the passenger side, behind the pcm, it has about 10 wires in it, but this is all i could find there.

well after repinning all the pins that were wrong, still no fuel, no spark, no injector pulse. all i can come up with is that the pcm isn`t getting any power, so im gonna get the pcm wiring diagrams tomorrow and try to check it out for power and see what i come up with.

it`s very strange as i am getting power at the ignition fuse in the fuse box under the hood, but still nothing.

im stumped at this point, i really thought that when i repinned that plug that it would fire right up and it didnt.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:09 AM

The PCM power, fuel pump relay signal, etc. all come through those connectors that go through the grommet under the PCM. If you get that connected right, you might have a fighting chance.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:52 PM

ok so i checked all the power plugs and the pins on the pcm and i found that none of the ignition switch feed wires were getting power.

naturally i jumped those wires to 12v plus from the power junction under the hood and tryed to start it up and still nothing.

but now the fuel pump comes on and the relays all click, and it cranks but still no fire, no spark.

is there another wire that you can think of that has to get power to make this thing start?

now im really stumped, the pcm has good power and good ground, it should start even if there was no dash harness in the dam car right?

unless somehow i fried the opti or something, im really confused at this point.

any ideas now?
i need your help!!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:25 PM

probably would have been easier to just BUY a 2001 ss, lol then it would also have an LS1.

Last edited by BirchMan98z; 12-22-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:26 PM

Look at THIS picture. I'd be looking really closely at C210, C220, C230, C100 and C105.

Quick Reply: Obd1 Swap To Obd2 Some Questions