General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

New Z owner...did I get a decent deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 04:54 PM

New Z owner...did I get a decent deal?

Finally landed a '94 m6 Z with 88k and really nice condition. I looked for a while, and had to travel about two hours to get this one.

It appears stock except for flowmaster muffler and slp skip shift delete. I noticed a little oil on the bottom of the oil pan-but figured that it was probably valve cover gasket/main seal. I think that's probably pretty common on most 12 year old cars so I didn't let it deter me.

I paid $6000 for the car. The seller wouldn't budge, and I was too excited about getting the car to haggle. Pricing seems inconsistent on these cars, and I would think that an m6 would be a little harder to find.

Does that sound like an ok deal? I'm stoked to have my first "real" car after owning a dozen crappers...Thanks!
Old 05-19-2005, 05:53 PM

Re: New Z owner...did I get a decent deal?

Price seems about average with bluebook and 88K miles isn't that bad. So where's the pictures?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:26 PM

Seems reasonable to me - I sold a '94 automatic V6 with 75k miles for $4500 last year....add to that similar miles, a V8, stick, the fact people WANT V8s w/ stick, etc ........ seems like it was a pretty good price
Old 05-19-2005, 06:32 PM

Sounds about right. Welcome to the site and congrats! Your oil is likely from the intake manifold gasket, they are notorious leakers. It is a pretty easy fix though.

Hints:
Dont get your optispark (the distributor under the water pump) wet! If your pump starts to leak replace it stat! Don't spray down your engine bay, or go to automatic car washes that spray the underside of you car either.

Have fun!
Old 05-19-2005, 06:39 PM

Sounds about right price wise... the oil leak is most likly the intake manifold gaskets, reach your hand on the back of the motor where the manifold meets the heads, they usually leak towards the back, Could be valve cover gaskets as well, but im leaning towards the intake manifold gaskets which is very common among these cars.

Good luck with the car

PICTURES????
Old 05-19-2005, 07:22 PM

I'll post some pics when I can-envision a stock red z and youv'e pretty much seen it . Seats are red/black tweedy material and the inside is dark charcoal I guess.

Oh, I ran a carfax on the car and found that it was bought in 94 in the same town I live in! Pretty odd considering that my town has about 2500 people total and I bought the car from a guy in Pittsburgh which is more than two hours away from me.

I was nervous about running a carfax b/c I was afraid of what I'd find out, but she checked out clean

Thanks again for the welcome and the advice, I look forward to being part of this forum!!!

Frank
Old 05-19-2005, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by salty
I'll post some pics when I can-envision a stock red z and youv'e pretty much seen it . Seats are red/black tweedy material and the inside is dark charcoal I guess.
yup we have like the same exact car, except mine is alot COOLER than yours

....and mine has 50,000 more miles too

Good luck with it
Old 05-20-2005, 09:40 AM

Got my 97z M6 with 99k on it for for 6 last year so i would have to say you got a good deal
Old 05-20-2005, 11:00 AM

I'd say it was a good deal too, thats pretty low mileage for a 94.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:52 PM

About a year ago I got lucky with mine, got a 95 z m6 black, in very nice condition for 4k!!! Still sounds like you got a great deal too, they are getting harder to come by.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:11 PM

got mine for 6700- 51k miles
sounds like a good deal to me, especially with that interior
i absolutely love that interior
Old 05-22-2005, 10:50 AM

Glad to hear your replies-I know it wasn't a steal, but the car is a great combo of things. It has no power options and no t-tops which is fine for me. Less stuff to leak/break, and lighter to boot. I've put about 400 miles on the car since I picked it up and it drives beautifully-The torque and the sound of the car are pretty addictive!

The only drawback is that I've noticed a little rust on the rim of the rear fenderwell. I wasn't going to drive the car in the winter to avoid rust, but alas its already there I also noticed some serious rust on a rear stabilizer bar that is close to rusting through. so it looks like I'll be replacing some components this winter.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:21 AM

All of that stuff can be replaced though... Don't worry about the rust so much (it is quite ironic that you weren't going to drive it in the winter and your username is 'salty').. You got a strong running engine, and thats what really matters. At least now you don't have to worry about protecting "mint" condition paint....you don't have to be afraid to drive it daily, and eventually you'll get a sweet paint job while my 97 is faded/rusted.... Anyway, the 94 I sold to a friend actually was beginning to rust in the exact area you described..
Old 05-23-2005, 04:00 PM

Price is close ,they are goin up here in texas
Old 05-23-2005, 04:53 PM

Price seems right. But on the carfax report, mine came back clean and the front drivers side has deffinatly been wacked. Theres folded up metal up around the air filter and a lil outdent under the plastic. The lil bumb behind the nose/rear bumper cover is a dead giveway that its been hit before. Just something to look for. It wasnt serious but my car got a new nose at the time. Which can be a good or bad thing depending on your views. Its a factory nose and put on correctly and has good paint so im happy.

Last edited by LT1OWNZ; 05-23-2005 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: New Z owner...did I get a decent deal?