General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

New to the community - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:17 AM

New to the community - Questions

First off I just wanted to say hi to all of you fellow f-body enthusiasts =P I just recently 3 weeks ago purchased my first f-body. I've wanted one of these ever since I rode in one when I was 16 or so, but now that I'm 20 I just was able to afford one =)

Anyways to the point. I bought a 1994 camaro z28 for $4,000 cash from a small dealership. When I first saw the car I noticed some small flaws but I couldn't say no once I drove it. It was all in my head that everything was alright with it but after about 3 or 4 days I started noticing some things that were wrong.

One being I got my oil changed and was told I had massive leaks...which resulted in me paying $900 to have my oil sending unit, oil pan, crankshaft, and front and rear seals replaced.

Thinking that would the only major thing I'd have to fix, my tranny started giving me problems..trouble downshifting from 6th to 5th and 5th to 4th, sticky shifting...finally ending with the reverse gear breaking? BTW the car is a manual. So as we speak its in the shop getting a tranny overhaul. Stick $1,400 to the original $4,000 I paid for. So with the engine work and tranny overhaul I pretty much paid $6,300 for the car. I can't quite tell if I got a good deal or not, or wasted my money. I guess I'll see for myself when it comes out of the shop with the new tranny.

I'm only 20 years old so this is my dream car pretty much, and since I've paid all this money for this work to be done I plan to keep this car for a very long time =)

Now I'll be the first to admit, I know pretty much squat about cars technically..I want to learn, and with this car I'm sure I will =) So I'm going to start with a couple of newbie questions. I want to get this car track worthy but before I start going and spending money on increasing my horsepower I wanted to ask everyone here what are some good mods to start off with that will improve the running quality of the engine and car...basically benefiting the car without just adding power.

Also one or two more things. There is quite a big crack on the top of the dashboard where the passenger airbag is..I don't know if this is repairable or how much it would cost to buy a whole new dashboard, I really don't know what I would be needing.

Also my z28 is a 1994...I didnt notice any trunk release latch inside the car..am I missing it, or did a latch just not exist in the camaro at that year? lol

Oh yea one last thing. I don't know any history of the service that this car has had done to it. Obviously when I had my oil sending unit and pan replaced I had an oil change..other than that...I'm not sure what I should have done service wise and priority wise..and odometer is at 114,000...any input would be appreciated.

well sorry for making this so long, I just wanted to introduce myself and get a few questions out there =)

Thanks in advance,

Kenny

Last edited by kennyr8705; 10-21-2007 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:53 AM

Well, live and learn, I'm sure if you had it to do over again you would have taken it to a mechanic for an inspection. The purchase price is high, especially for the condition, but oh well. I remember a 442 I bought a long time ago, boy that thing was a money pit... lols!

There is an LT1 specific section, there are lots of things you need to be on the look out for on LT1s with that many miles. And there is an interior section too for your dash question.

Welcome to the board.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Banned

you can buy the dash pc.

The car is going to cost money.....any type of performance car or anything with power is going to cost money.

If you like the car car...hell with it, you can't take money with you when you go....so enjoy life while your here
Old 10-21-2007, 12:08 PM

Welcome to the F-body club! My car has claimed more blood and money from me than I'd like, but I love it anyway.

For a new car with some problems already, start with a basic tune up. Spark plugs, wires, fluid changes, etc. Start doing stuff yourself, it will save you money. Buy a Haynes manual, it helps alot. If you do your own work, you will start to pick up more about your car and how it works, and you get that sense of accomplishment when it works . And also what a PITA it is to work on these things ...
Old 10-21-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by kennyr8705
Also my z28 is a 1994...I didnt notice any trunk release latch inside the car..am I missing it, or did a latch just not exist in the camaro at that year? lol
Check in the glove box. There should be a yellow button to the left, that would be your hatch release. Welcome aboard and enjoy the old LT1.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
The car is going to cost money.....any type of performance car or anything with power is going to cost money.

If you like the car car...hell with it, you can't take money with you when you go....so enjoy life while your here
haha, aint that the truth, i would start with plugs wires cap and rotor, they tend to lead to all kinds of problems

and take a look around this site www.shbox.com thanks to our very own shoebox

and welcome
Old 10-21-2007, 05:02 PM

Welcome to the board........ No question is stupid, justed asked a few thousand times....

Search function is your friend....... Here is an old thread about differences from 93Z and 94Z~up..... Have fun... Alot of info here....

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...993+difference

PS.I have a 93Z....
Old 10-22-2007, 03:39 PM

my dash was cracked as well when i got my 97, got a dash cover made of this carpet material off ebay for 35.00 shipped, here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-98...em130165835005 the lt1 is a strong reliable motor but basic things will go wrong, just make sure you always do oil changes on time, tune-ups etc etc. as far as running better use a high mileage synthetic oil such as valvoline maxlife synthetic, castrol has one and so does mobil 1 which is a excellent oil for 4th gens, clean the maf sensor, throttle body and get a can of seafoam and pour it ALL into a halfish tank of gas, maybe a few weeks later again too. welcome to the world of fbodies. oh and if you dont live too far up north then get a 160 degree thermostat and either a manual fan switch or have the fans programmed to come on sooner so your car always will run at a lower temp than the normal 200-220, parts will last longer and you will have more power
Old 10-22-2007, 03:40 PM

actually here is the link, forgot you hade a pre-97 model. there is no actual pic of it but it will fit perfectly
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...em130165214511. i paid 6700 for my 97 with 91,000 miles on it to give you an idea of the price range, only thing that went out soon after i purchased it was the water pump and optispark/distributor
Old 10-24-2007, 12:39 AM

hey everybody thanks for your advice and help =)

oneclean97z, I've seen those carpet covers for dashes, although ive never actually seen on in a car...do they not look tacky at all? do they stay in place and dont shift around?

and ive never heard of this seafoam stuff, i read up on it...sounds like some really great stuff and ill definatley give it a shot.

thanks!