General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Need Help On Turn Signal Lever

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:59 AM

Need Help On Turn Signal Lever

Hello everyone. I need help on what could be wrong with my turn signal lever. Whenever I pull the lever down or up so that it signals my turn, it does not signal. I have already checked the fuses and my tail lights but that doesn't seem to be it. My wipers still work but my signals don't work and my high beams don't go on either.

I have a 93 Z. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:59 PM

Re: Need Help On Turn Signal Lever

Buy a new multifunction switch. It will solve your problems
Old 03-01-2005, 12:19 PM

Thank you. By any chance do you know how much they go for???
Old 03-01-2005, 04:31 PM

You should check out better what it is doing. For the turn signals and high beams the stalk only acts as a lever to move other things inside the steeing column. If the lever is not physically broken, replacing it likely won't solve your problem.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
You should check out better what it is doing. For the turn signals and high beams the stalk only acts as a lever to move other things inside the steeing column. If the lever is not physically broken, replacing it likely won't solve your problem.
Ditto, the lever is just that. It doesn't actually control the turnsignal or windshield wipers. Those are operated by switches inside the column.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:49 PM

Alright then. So I'll check out whats going on inside first. I hope its nothing big. Or I hope it's something simple. Any ideas on what could have broken inside??
Old 03-01-2005, 09:23 PM

The lever is sticking out of a box, it's called a multifunction switch. You can't just replace the lever, it comes as a whole unit. I don't think the level is the problem. What you can do is take apart the steering column and look for visible damage.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kataklysm
The lever is sticking out of a box, it's called a multifunction switch. You can't just replace the lever, it comes as a whole unit. I don't think the level is the problem. What you can do is take apart the steering column and look for visible damage.
You can just replace the lever. It just pulls out of the multifunction switch (after you disconnect the cruise wiring).
Old 03-02-2005, 02:19 AM

...I just messed with a similar problem recently. When I checked the
fuse I checked #2 in the fuse box, labeled TURN B-U. It was good, BUT
after other things didn't solve the problem I checked ALL the fuses. Guess
what? The fuse in spot #6 labeled STOP/HAZARD was blown and when I
replaced it the turn signals WORKED! What does stop/hazard have to do
with the turn signals??? I have no idea but it fixed 'em. I sort of thought that TURN would be turn signals but I guess not. Now watch people chime in here and say how dumb I am for not knowing that it was fuse #6 in the first place......
Did you check the blinker flasher? That silver cylinder thing under the dash. ShoeBoxes web site will show you where it is. If its blown the blinkers won't work. They are only a buck or two....... If none of this helps and your problem isn't in your steering column? Go to Shoeboxes web site and see where the turn
signal junction box is and just touch the correct wires together {under the dash} to see if blinkers work. If you can't read a scematic {I not only can't read one, I CAN'T even spell it!}. Anyway, I have a '94 TA and I can tell you which color wires are which and you can just touch the correct ones together and see if they blink. This will tell you if your problem is in the column or not.... Also after you remove the turn signal lever from the multi-function box you must put the wiper in the off possition before it'll go back in. Oh, and if I'm not mistaken the high/low beam unit on the column is must a mechanical unit. A long metal rod goes from the top of the steering column down to a switch about 1/2 way down the steering column. The metal rod might be jammed in their. Mine was..... I hope some of this helps you..... Or ALL of it for that matter Bill
Old 03-02-2005, 01:44 PM

Thanks BILLSBIRD. I'll go ahead and check those items out then. As an update I found out my high beams indeed do work, its just my Turn Signals that do not. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress, and thank you all for your help.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:21 PM

I looked at Shoebox's website and I saw a TURN SIGNAL FLASHER, but I did not see anything about a TURN SIGNAL JUNCTION BOX. Are these two the same?? If not then i need help. Oh, and BILLSBIRD, which which wires do I mess with to test out the turn signals. thanks.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 93Z28rare
I looked at Shoebox's website and I saw a TURN SIGNAL FLASHER, but I did not see anything about a TURN SIGNAL JUNCTION BOX. Are these two the same?? If not then i need help. Oh, and BILLSBIRD, which which wires do I mess with to test out the turn signals. thanks.
....When you turn on your turn signals do they do NOTHING. By nothing I mean {of course they don't flash} but does the turn signal light on the dash come on??? If nothing comes on at all go get a Turn Signal Flasher. Its the little silver round thing that you saw on Shoebox's web page. Try that first. What I was referring to as the 'Turn Signal Junction Box' is the electrical connection where all the turn signal wires hook up under the dash. At this spot you could see if the blinkers worked by eliminating the steering wheel part of the equation. But the problem is probably the Flasher. Try that first. Bill

Last edited by billsbird; 03-02-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:33 PM

Alright. I'll go ahead and check out the flasher then. Oh, and yeah, the turn signals on the dash do not come on at all, and they don't flash outside the car either.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:58 PM

Ditto on replacing the lever only. I've got about 15 of them if you need one. $10 and I'll send it to your door if need be. The are held on by a C clip and hook into the wiring.

-Shannon
Old 03-18-2005, 11:08 AM

Thank you for all those that replied and gave me assistance with my problem. Turns out that the Turn Signal Flasher just needed to be replaced. Once i did that, my turn signals came back. Thanks for the LEVER offer, but as can be seen, i don't need it. Thanks again everyone.

Quick Reply: Need Help On Turn Signal Lever