General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Need help diagnosing a no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 PM

Need help diagnosing a no start

Got a problem with the 178K mile 96 trans am. On Friday at work it wouldnt start. it doesnt crank, however the dash lights up. In the past, I've had the security light come on and then stay on and then not be able to start it for 3 minutes. However this time its not the security light. I've also very sporadically had it in the past where this exact situation has happened where it wont start but with no security light, but after turning the key a few times it will crank and fire up.

Based on the above info, any ideas? Let me know if theres more information that I would need to pass on to help with the diagnosis

Since I am at work, it will be hard for me to work on it much unless I can fit in an hour here, an hour there. I am a relative mechanic newbie, but with good instructions I can probably figure it out. If i can't get anywhere in a few days I'll have to get it towed somewhere, but i dont know, and therefore dont trust any mechanics near my job (45 mins from home).

Thanks!!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:08 PM

You might want to check to see if the purple wire at the starter solenoid is getting 12v when the key is in the start position. You can find wiring diagrams on my Tech Page, if you need to trace the problem out.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
You might want to check to see if the purple wire at the starter solenoid is getting 12v when the key is in the start position. You can find wiring diagrams on my Tech Page, if you need to trace the problem out.

ok thanks, ill see if i can get another hour to head out to the parking lot tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:43 AM

failing neutral safety switch? jerk the gearshift around a little to see if that does anything. do you hear anything when you turn the key? sound like the starter bendix is engaging with flywheel at all? tap on the starter with a hammer to see if it will free something up. pull battery cables off and check for corrosion/bad connections. you can have enough voltage to power gauges but not near enough for the starter to engage.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Slick_Sammy
failing neutral safety switch? jerk the gearshift around a little to see if that does anything. do you hear anything when you turn the key? sound like the starter bendix is engaging with flywheel at all? tap on the starter with a hammer to see if it will free something up. pull battery cables off and check for corrosion/bad connections. you can have enough voltage to power gauges but not near enough for the starter to engage.
ok, i am going to try your suggestions now while i have some time. got 1 more day before i am gonna tow it!