General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

LT-1 success story

Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 AM

LT-1 success story

I just wanted to share a few photos of my first NASA HPDE track day with the 1996 SS that I found on Craigs List a few months ago (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...-me-do-886946/). We were out at our local track, Sear Point just north of San Francisco.

I drove the car on Saturday the 16th in Group 2 and my daughter drove the car on Sunday in Group 1 (beginner with an instructor). The car ran great all weekend, not is single issue, just churned out torque to get going and stopped in a nice straight line! It did have a loose rear end (over-steer) though and I am not sure that is normal but it probably is as the car appears to be very stock and all original.

The one real excitement was due to this loose set up. I had felt it from the first lap that I took and was pretty wary about turn 4 which is an off camber downhill right hand corner that you usually take at about 50 mph. I drove around the problem on Saturday until my third run when I lowered the rear tire pressures and the problem seemed much less troubling. My daughter had ridden with me the last two sessions and I had mentioned my earlier concerns while we circuited the track.

Unfortunately the next day when my daughter took the car for her first full speed run she spun the car at turn 4! It didn't hurt anything, just a little dirt on the tires but it was a tough start for my daughters high performance driving day! She was a trooper though; she finished her session with some good laps and after a little post run decompression and a good talk with the instructors she went back on her last two runs (20 minutes each) and had a blast.

I am going to see if I can sort the suspension balance a bit before our next track day in May. I will put a up a post in the suspension section when I have something to share about that. Actually I think the spin was a small mercy as I have tried to warn my daughters that cars sometimes don't go where you want them to go. I keep telling them that they need to drive with care, especially in low traction conditions. My oldest who experienced the spin first hand now has a solid understanding of how fast thing get out of hand and a strong memory of what a slide feels like.

Here is a link for more of the NASA track days if you want to check it out https://nasaproracing.com/events. It is a lot of fun to drive and also hanging out with fellow car nuts is a blast too.

Last edited by squarehead; 03-19-2019 at 12:40 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-19-2019, 07:21 AM

Re: LT-1 success story

Awesome - thanks for the update and pictures. That's EXACTLY what I have in mind for my car this year (as well as the odd Autocross event). I bet you came away with a list of things to do to the car! How did your brakes hold up? I'm told that's a weak point.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:19 AM

Hi Pontiacs,

I am glad you like the photos. The car is still a beater but it ran pretty well. The brakes were good, zero troubles but the disks were new when I got the car and I had installed Hawk street performance pads and changed the brake fluid before going out on the track. To be honest I was not pushing too hard anyway: it was a shake down run for the car and I had not been on track since 2007 and was getting back in the groove one step at a time. I used to run in group 3 and I am sure I can again soon but this weekend I enjoyed the pace of group 2. My goal at this point is to get into Time Trial (TT) later this year or next year.

The looseness of the rear end is the only thing I am planning to work on. I am thinking of pulling the stock springs and shocks and installing a Ground Control set up similar to what I am running on my street car. It features Koni's which I prefer and they really have the balance dialed in on their kit, very nice steering feel and very little body roll.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:24 PM

Your car looks awesome! I love the SS cars
Old 03-21-2019, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cathead View Post
Your car looks awesome! I love the SS cars
Thanks Cathead! I really like the look too except for the funky finish/paint on the two fiberglass SLP parts, the front hood and the rear spoiler. Both have a crazed appearance and the paint is shot. The rest of the car is pretty nice with good GM paint and only a few imperfections. I figure if it survives the next race season or two I will get the fiberglass fixed and have the parts resprayed.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:36 AM

The car looks great looks like a lot of fun. What kind of tires are you running? By the way what number is your SS? Mine is number 1424
Old 04-13-2019, 03:45 PM

Hi 1424,

I am running the BFG G-force T/A KDW tires that came on the car when I bought it used. They were originally a tread wear 200 type tire but they are old now.

My SS is number 209 for 1996.

Put a few photos of your car in your user album, I would love to see it!

Last edited by squarehead; 04-13-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling