General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Longevity of LT1 4thgen

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 08:25 PM

few regular maintinance things here and thier and i drive it hard so id say they last a good amount of time
Old 06-14-2004, 12:02 PM

only 97,000 for me. I just spun 3 rod bearings, a main bearing, and cracked the crank. I lost oil pressure on the highway. Its in the process of becoming a 383 now. I have gone through 5 transmissions and the rest was just regular maintenance. I havent had too much luck with mine I bought a car that was abused, and the trannies were just built improporly. You will notice when you start changing things is when you will start developing problems most likely.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:44 PM

what about just average clutch life i thought it was around 60k miles

i was just wondering so i can start to save up for a really nice clutch this time around
Old 06-14-2004, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by cndctrdj
what about just average clutch life i thought it was around 60k miles

i was just wondering so i can start to save up for a really nice clutch this time around
Depends on the clutch you get and your driving habits.

A street twin is pretty much the end all be all when it comes to a clutch for these cars. It'll hold more hp/tq than you're ever likely to produce on the street, and it's rebuildable.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:35 PM

Original transmission and rear. Original engine, never rebuilt. 3 Optis, 1 battery, many brakes and tires, Intake manifold gasket, radiator at 250K, cam shaft at 170K, starter, vibration damper hub.

Doesn't burn a drop of oil, great oil pressure, still fast as hell!
Old 06-17-2004, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by SweetZRag
Original transmission and rear. Original engine, never rebuilt. 3 Optis, 1 battery, many brakes and tires, Intake manifold gasket, radiator at 250K, cam shaft at 170K, starter, vibration damper hub.

Doesn't burn a drop of oil, great oil pressure, still fast as hell!
damn man! sweet. now thats what im talkin bout. u might just be one that can beat out hondas for reapairs haha. is it an m6 or auto. only 1 battery? damn what battery did you have in it. lasted that long. radiator lasted 250k damn good. doesnt burn oil at all? what do u do for maintenance and how often? tahnsk lmk i woud l love for my z to last that long, hell even 200k would be damn nice.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:05 AM

at 77k miles my Meziere electric pump went out and caused a blown head gasket and slightly warped head. I had the valves worked, the heads resurfaced and a stock water pump put back on. watch out for the electric pumps because once they go out you will overheat so fast. within ten seconds you run up to redline. other than that nothing has been wrong with it. its a 1993 with only 77k miles, it had 65 when i bought it last year. its a beast. it had the headers and full exhaust and what not on it when i got it too. $7000 steal!!!
Old 06-18-2004, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by EaC95Z28
damn man! sweet. now thats what im talkin bout. u might just be one that can beat out hondas for reapairs haha. is it an m6 or auto. only 1 battery? damn what battery did you have in it. lasted that long. radiator lasted 250k damn good. doesnt burn oil at all? what do u do for maintenance and how often? tahnsk lmk i woud l love for my z to last that long, hell even 200k would be damn nice.
It is an automatic. The replacement battery is just a $60 battery from Pep Boys. I donlt have to add any oil and there is no smoke. THe car still runs like new.

I use Valvoline 5W-30 exclusively (non-synthetic). When I replaced the camshaft at 169K and saw no wear, I decided not to run sythetic. I also have a 94 full size Blazer with 230K miles and it also has no wear using Valvoline 5W-30.

I change oil & filter ever 3 to 4 thousand miles. Transmission and radiator every 100,000 miles. Everything else, pretty much as needed.

It has been very reliable (except the Optis)!
Old 06-18-2004, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by SweetZRag
It is an automatic. The replacement battery is just a $60 battery from Pep Boys. I donlt have to add any oil and there is no smoke. THe car still runs like new.

I use Valvoline 5W-30 exclusively (non-synthetic). When I replaced the camshaft at 169K and saw no wear, I decided not to run sythetic. I also have a 94 full size Blazer with 230K miles and it also has no wear using Valvoline 5W-30.

I change oil & filter ever 3 to 4 thousand miles. Transmission and radiator every 100,000 miles. Everything else, pretty much as needed.

It has been very reliable (except the Optis)!
sweet man. so u changed the tranny fluid and flushed,refilled the radiator every 100k? what ocolant are you using? must be some good stuff to last taht long. i just flushed filled mine up yesterday and it was not as dirty as i expected. i plan on doing it now once a year. im also going to drianing my trannyfluid soon also as well as my rear end. i plan on using the mobil 1 syn gear lube with the lsd additve from gm and the honda atf-z1 tranny fluid or the mobil 1 atf fluid. havnet decided on that yet. hopefully doing it next week or so. i like to keep the maintenance on the car well so it will last longer and be more reliable hopefully. i changet the oil every 3k mobil 1 synthtetic . man u got one hell of a car with that many miles and no problems. must be proud, i know i wioiuld be.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:35 PM

mine has 140k and i have cammed and sprayed the hell out of it since 95k
Old 06-19-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by N2Ocaprice
Any horror stories out there about these cars shortly after 100k? (besides the opti) I want to hear both sides here.
At 108K my motor went.

But I had just competed a Head/Cam package, and popped a ring land from a high RPM detonation. I still had cross hatching on the cylinder walls. Doh!
Old 06-20-2004, 06:47 PM

Last fall I rebuilt an LT1 in a guys '93 Z28 that had over 200,000 miles. The car looked rough on the outside, but the interior was pretty descent looking. It was a T56 car too. I replaced the clutch when I had the engine out also.

Martin
Old 06-20-2004, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by N2Ocaprice
Turned out to be a total POS. It had so little torque I had to go WOT to keep it from stalling on the launch, and it had a bunch of other problems. My caprice could 0wn it (all motor) with an L03 and 1000 extra pounds. Thanks for your help anyways guys. If anyone has a GOOD LT1/t56 4th gen for a reasonable price in the DC area, I'm all ears.
Where in the DC area are you? I have been looking for other F-Body people but they are pretty rare up here. And the only people I see driving V8 F-Bodies are old men out for their sunday cruise
Old 06-21-2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by EaC95Z28
sweet man. so u changed the tranny fluid and flushed,refilled the radiator every 100k? what ocolant are you using? must be some good stuff to last taht long. i just flushed filled mine up yesterday and it was not as dirty as i expected. i plan on doing it now once a year. im also going to drianing my trannyfluid soon also as well as my rear end. i plan on using the mobil 1 syn gear lube with the lsd additve from gm and the honda atf-z1 tranny fluid or the mobil 1 atf fluid. havnet decided on that yet. hopefully doing it next week or so. i like to keep the maintenance on the car well so it will last longer and be more reliable hopefully. i changet the oil every 3k mobil 1 synthtetic . man u got one hell of a car with that many miles and no problems. must be proud, i know i wioiuld be.
The car has been good to me. I have never taken it to the track but I occasionally unleash her on the highway. I have been using Prestone coolant with distilled water. When the radiator went, the end tank was cracked under the coolant level sensor, probably from me leaning on the cap doing maintenance. I pulled the radiator apart and it was clean inside so I am doing something right.

I had to replace the yoke on the front of the differential recently because it had a wear ring where the seal met it and it leaked oil. The rear looks perfect. No metal. I used Valvoline synthetic with GM additive.

The trick is, do the work yourself so you know it is done right! No offense to the mechanics out there but no one will treat your car the way you would.

Good luck with yours!

Last edited by SweetZRag; 06-22-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:33 PM

Just about to turn 148k. T56 Car. No problems at all, even though I've only had it since April '04. I know the Opti/Plugs/Wires were replaced a few years ago. Other than that, nothing. I drive it hard and it still runs well. No complaints here!

NOTE: Don't pay attention to my times in sig, I'm a complete newb.

Oh and it's bone stock except minor mods in sig.