General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Installing Seal Strip at top of door! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:15 AM

Installing Seal Strip at top of door! Help!

Ok I have spent like 2 hours trying to get this damn thing to go in. The orignal one was broken and I removed it, Im trying to get the new one in. I cannot seem to get the clip in which is by the side mirror. I already removd the side mirror. But the brace which holds the side mirror blocks everyhting and its hard to see what Im doing. I tried taking that brace off w/ the two bolts but there must be some other bolt inside which holds it.

Any tricks to doing this! Help.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:59 AM

Re: Installing Seal Strip at top of door! Help!

anyone help! door is apart!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:16 PM

There are 3 bolts holding the mirror brace. Two that are obvious, and a 3rd that is just below them.

You need to play with the metal clip and get them positioned right to push in. Other than that, it is not too hard.

Last edited by TraceZ; 06-02-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:21 PM

There is a third bolt at the bottom that controls the mirror tilt in/out that must be removed to completely take the mirror out and install the outer strip. I'm assuming you've already taken the top two and rectangular plate off, since all three will need to come out to get the mirror assembly off(no need to remove the mirror from the bracket). Also, to get the clips on you'll have to remove the top adjusters on the inside of the door that control the window tension (the ones with the felt pads) and have someone pull gently inward on the glass to give you enough room to get the new strip in place. And yes its aggrivating at takes a fair amount of pressure to get the clips to seat properly. Also be prepared to adjust your window when you're done because it will likely be out of position. Shoebox has a great guide for that with some pictures that really helped me when I replaced mine...http://shbox.com/1/adj_window.html
Old 06-02-2006, 10:56 PM

Damnit I dont know how I didnt see that one bolt below the 3, it was starring me in the face, but hiding behind that plastic stuff that comes w/ the factory. Anyways taking the mirror brace off made it cake. Thanks a lot guys.