General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

i might have to park my car for a while [tips/tricks]

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:25 PM

i might have to park my car for a while [tips/tricks]

there is a very good chance i am going to have to park my car for as long as a year next month, no garage either

anyone have and tips or trick for helping the car cope with this, really dont have the ability to have someone start or drive it at all every now and then like i would like.

i was thinking park it on four boards due to it being on gravel, and cover it with a tarp. i plan to drive it till it gets real low on gas and pour some gas stabil in it and run it for a little while longer and then what?

any other ideas to make sure nothing gets damages either while it is sitting or when it gets started again would be much appreciated. thanks guys
Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 PM

Don't use tarp, spend the extra cash and get yourself a good fitting car cover. Wash the car well before covering it up, or else the cover will rub the dirt in.

Fill the car up with gas and use fuel stabilizer. Running the tank and leaving it empty allows condensation inside the tank to form, and can cause rust.

Disconnect the battery, take the battery inside if you want.

I've stored cars for winters but never for a year, so if someone else can chime it that would help.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Banned

Why you got to store it a year?

I would see if someone could drive once in a while.......alot of stuff goes bad when stuff sits. Maybe rent a storage place.....and have someone drive it around the block once in a while.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:56 PM

I had to store my car outside the last time I put it away for the winter. I kept 1/2 a tank of gas in it, and used stabil. Pulled the battery and blocked it to prevent flat spots. I went out and got a custom fit perforated car cover, purpose made for outdoor storage.

In the spring, took the cover off and was surprisingly clean. Fired right up as well.

Just be sure the cover fits nice and tight so it doesnt flap on the paint.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
Why you got to store it a year?

I would see if someone could drive once in a while.......alot of stuff goes bad when stuff sits. Maybe rent a storage place.....and have someone drive it around the block once in a while.

i really dont have anyone to drive it, thats what i would like as well. if it was stock i might be able to talk my grandfather or my girlfriend into taking it for a little ride every now and then but thats not the case.

so more gas is better than less in this situation huh. and def use the stabil?

i guess i will go get myself a car cover, can they be had for reasonably cheap

Last edited by dangalla; 03-07-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
If you do have someone drive it, make sure they DRIVE it. Just going around the block doesn't allow fluids, seals, or anything else to really heat up enough. Doing short trips around the block could actually hurt a car.

Whenever I had to give my Firebird an exercise, I would drive it down some neighborhood streets, go down a main road, and then hit the highway for a little bit. Car got warm and then I parked it.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:29 AM

also get a cheap set of jackstands and jack the whole thing up just enough to clear the ground on the stands. Will help with the tires, and your bearings, although a year in one spot with the bearings on these shouldnt be that big of deal, just good measure. Use a good sealed piece of wood or something sturdy and flat under each stand so it doesnt sink.

Those guys are right on the $ bout more gas left in and a bottle of stabil, less fuel and you get more condensation in the tank, and it could corrode the pump. A full tank with stabil is recommended, but you also run the risk of someone stealing gas and evaporation sitting that long. I personally would leave at least half a tank in it (3/4 tank by the gauge, but I imagine you already know about that). Also a fresh oil change and coolant flush/change. Pull your plugs and pour about a half a cap to a full cap of oil in each cylinder. Then when you wake her up, change the oil again before you start it, or at least very soon after the first start.

Last edited by 95camaroinok; 03-08-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:33 AM

There are some decent car covers on the market that are fitted specificially to the 4th gens. I picked up a Wolfe car cover from Summit, the cover was 150.00 and the locking cable strap was another 10.00 I agree with topping off the tank and adding the fuel treatment (Stabil).
Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by 95camaroinok
A full tank with stabil is recommended, but you also run the risk of someone stealing gas and evaporation sitting that long. I personally would leave at least half a tank in it (3/4 tank by the gauge, but I imagine you already know about that).
Locking gas cap takes care of that.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by TheV6Bird
Locking gas cap takes care of that.
Funny thing is I heard a couple years back of people drilling holes in gas tanks and draining out the gas that way.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Funny thing is I heard a couple years back of people drilling holes in gas tanks and draining out the gas that way.
that would really **** me off, but that is not something i need to worry about at all.

i wont be able to jack it up either, so i guess it will just be parked on boards to avoid it from sinking
Old 03-20-2008, 08:46 PM

Solution...

i'll be there, and can start it, drive it around block, and BS like that for you...
Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Me>you
Solution...

i'll be there, and can start it, drive it around block, and BS like that for you...
perfect, glad to hear your moving back here
Old 03-20-2008, 09:38 PM

Here is a great write up and discussion. Make sure you read the following posts though, a number of people disagreed with the statement about leaving the car on jackstands for example.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416584
Old 03-20-2008, 10:48 PM
ZZ

http://www.international-auto.com/in...m?fa=ad&aid=42

Quick Reply: i might have to park my car for a while [tips/tricks]