General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How to take off headliner and fixing it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 01:04 AM

How to take off headliner and fixing it?

Well my headliner is starting to fall and I need to fix that. Its a hardtop. I need to take off my headliner and wanna know how to get it off? Oh and I was wanting to know some tips on how to fix it? Thanks
Old 11-01-2004, 12:26 AM

Re: How to take off headliner and fixing it?

ttt, anybody?
Old 11-01-2004, 12:53 AM

i dunno about pulling it out as i own third gens. take a lil time and observe how the panels are held in. i would also sugguest having a friend therer to help when pulling it out and putting it back in.
as for the headliner itself, a decent fabric stor will carry headliner material. clip a piece of your old headliner that was tucked behind a panel as thats a clean and out of light area so you can match the color correctly.
pull the old fabric off and if you have one use a soft brass charcoal grill brush. DONT use one of the hard stainless brushes. i used the brass one on 3 headliners and it worked perfectly for taking off the foam that is left stuck to the board.
once you get the foam off the board inspect the board for breaks.
go to auto zone or a decent parts store for ither the permatex brand headliner glue or the mac daddy of chemicals, 3M headliner glue.
for your breaks cut 2 or 3 strips of newspaper and build it up a bit. fold it around the edge half and half of he paper strip.
let those dry and they will be quite stable once cured. dont use alot of glue doing this, just enuogh to make it stick and stick it will as this stuff is VERY tacky.
once you have fixed your board if it had breaks get the material and lay it on the board and be sure the fabric lines are stright, you will see what i mean when you get the fabric.
start in te center and work out slowly.take the front part of the headlinerand fold it around to the backside ,about 1-2 inches. as for the rest of the edges, trim them clean as they will be hid behind the trim.
let the board set for a while and re install.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:00 AM

Once its starts to sag it is history. You can DIY like a previous Post or get it done at a Auto Reuphostery Shop for a original factory look. Check in your local area for a price.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:45 AM

I gotcha!!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/239349/8

scroll down and you'll see where I fiberglassed mine. Yea it was in dismal shape and was breaking up as I was taking it out. headiners are the same 3rd and 4th gen (I own both). You just have to remove the plastic trim around the headliner and it'll come down, if you plan to glass it be careful taking it out because you'll need a good mold. I had to tape the center section in order for it to hold up for the fiberglass.

Basically it was the easiest thing I've done on my 86 Z28, but I'm wrapping my 2000 camaro headliner in "white burberry" or glass it and have it painted. let me know if you need any more help on this or if you want to glass one yourself.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:38 PM

I had mine replaced at a local shop...$75.00 and was done in a few hours. Looks like new. I know they aren't too bad to do yourself but I didn't want to mess with it. Just thought I would give you an idea what it costs to have a shop do it.