General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

how much is this Camaro worth (help quick please)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 05:57 PM

how much is this Camaro worth (help quick please)

1997 Camaro Z28, all power, t-tops, cloth interior.

Has an aftermarket SS hood on it

New rear tires (probably means alot of burn outs)

Interior has some stains, but overall good no rips or tears. The dash is cracked (from the sun?)

Paint doesn't look too good, theres some dents, and on the rear bumper there is a huge spot that someone tried to repaint and it looks like crap

Has a new (rebuilt) engine in it with 5 thousand miles on it. The car had 80 thousand when they replaced the engine. She said that the last guy that had it blew the engine, so she bought it and spent 5 grand to replace it. I looked at all the receipts and it was a new engine they put in that was rebuilt. new waterpump, new battery, new plugs and wires. The engine also has a warranty on it from the shop that replaced it.

Engine ran smooth, I checked under the car for any leaks before and after driving it and there wasnt any.

Custom exhaust with flowmasters and a cutout.

The car has a salvage title on it. There didn't seem to be water damage, and she said she had the car's frame checked when she put the new engine in. The body panels lined up and the doors closed smoothly so I don't think it was an hard impact accident.

The clutch is going bad.

Air conditioning doesn't work.

Anyway, she says she Kelly blue booked it at $6800, but she said she would knock it down to around $5000 because the clutch was going. But the whole brand new engine in it with 5000 miles on it is her barginning chip. With all the problems I listed, how much should I knock off from the price?? replacing the clutch and to get the air conditioning fixed by the shop how much would it cost? how much does a salvage title affect the price?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:27 PM

Re: how much is this Camaro worth (help quick please)

I wouldn't give $5000 for it. I know it has a new engine but it's got a salvage title. You can find plenty of nice LT-1's for that price with a good title.

Try this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7806%26fvi%3D1

Also try www.cars.com or the local trader in your area. I'd personally stay away from the one in your post. Has too many things going against it for the price.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:32 PM

honestly?...it`s worth half of trade in value. all because of the rebuilt title.....now you said it has a low mileage motor but the clutch is shot....sounds like the car needs alot of work...it`s an 87...is it a Z28? ...beauty is in the eyes of the beholder....but a real low mileage car with no paint work and a clean title is worth about 4,000.....a rebuilt title and needing work?...half
Old 12-15-2005, 06:35 PM

A Salvage title can affect the price as much as 35%. Was the kelly blue book price RETAIL or PRIVATE SALE VALUE? The second would be what you would expect to pay from a private owner and is normally fairly close. Seing as it has only 80k but the body and interior looks rough, it has a salvage title, and it's been beat on hard enough to blow the motor. I wouldn't offer much for it. Maybe $4500. I wouldn't buy it at all without the new engine. Remenber, she bought it with a salvage title and a blown engine. I doubt she paid over a grand for it, if that.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:49 PM

Exclamation Re: how much is this Camaro worth (help quick please)

Salvage title, bad clutch, no AC, bad paint, stained interior. A rebuilt engine definetely doesn't cover all that.

That car is worth a couple of grand, at most. I wouldn't touch it even with a 10' pole.

And I speak from pretty recent experience since I was just shopping for a car for a couple of months until I bought a 95 TA last week. To me, that car wouldn't be worth even a look.

But, if you are ready to live with all the stuff it has, especially the title, then go for it. But, please, do NOT pay 5 grand for it.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:01 PM

I dunno, I'm not really concerned that much about the interior/exterior condition. I just need a vehicle that runs good... and with a replaced engine with 5k miles on it that was put in by a shop that replaces engines for a living, I know the engine is good. But yah, with the salvage title, no ac, and all the problems with the paint and clutch, theres no way in hell I'm gonna pay $5000 for it. I dunno, I don't think she knows what a salvage title means, so she has no idea how much it should drive the value down. I don't think I'll be able to talk her down in price because of the salvage title. unless shes bs-ing me lol.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:11 PM

pm sent
Old 12-15-2005, 07:35 PM

I'm not sure where you're located but around here (VA WVA MD area) you can ****** up on fbodies for 5,000 all over. Just gotta look. I bought my Z 3 years ago with 70,000 miles and in need of a little cleanup and a belt molding for 5,000. With a salvage title and all of the other negitives I gotta say I agree with these guys. Not worth it IMO. Just don't rush in and kick yourself in the *** later.

Just a thought, if the motor needed rebuilt what's the rest of the drivetrain like. And don't trust the sellers blue book look it up yourself. No way it's that high.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:48 PM

I just did a little lookup and came up with 5700 on a clear title in fair condition. There isn't a way to lookup a salvage title price but it's gotta be less.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:55 PM

Yah, I blue booked it myself at $6,090. Knock off $1500 to get the clutch and AC fixed does that sound about right? 35% off for the salvage title so that leaves the price around around $2400-2500. She bought the car with the engine blown, so she probably got it dirt cheap for probably around a grand. And spent $6k for a new engine and waterpump and some other parts, that have 5kmiles on them now so how much should I add on to my offer cause of that? Cause the car wasn't running before she replaced the engine so I dunno...
Old 12-15-2005, 08:41 PM

gee....I must know the value of cars....LOL!
Old 12-15-2005, 08:58 PM

i bought a 95 z28 for 2,700 with a hundred k on it and never had a problem. good title and everything. had it for a year now. it need minor paint work and p/s pump. clean title never wrecked. i see plenty of decent ones with 80 k or soo in the upper 4's and up.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by ethansdomain
Yah, I blue booked it myself at $6,090. Knock off $1500 to get the clutch and AC fixed does that sound about right? 35% off for the salvage title so that leaves the price around around $2400-2500. She bought the car with the engine blown, so she probably got it dirt cheap for probably around a grand. And spent $6k for a new engine and waterpump and some other parts, that have 5kmiles on them now so how much should I add on to my offer cause of that? Cause the car wasn't running before she replaced the engine so I dunno...
Less than Half..... I wouldn't pay more than 3k for it.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:48 PM

I dont think you can go off that kelly blue book and all of that stuff. What to pay for a car is whatever you feel its worth. Not what others say its worth. But yea do some negotiating with her and I'd try for 3000 or so if I were you.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:08 PM

Just be careful whatever you do. It would suck majorly to start fixing the obvious stuff and run into endless hidden damage and problems. Can you even tag a salvage car where you live? I don't think you can here.

Quick Reply: how much is this Camaro worth (help quick please)