General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

how many more horses to pull away...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 03:02 PM

how many more horses to pull away...

Okay, a little trivia question has been rolling around im my cranial cavity (and making a hell of a rattling noise).

If two cars were even, side by side, going down the strip, how much horses would it take to start pulling on the other guy? I know this is a loosley asked question because there are many definitions of what pulling away is, for example how fast of a pull etc, but, is there any data on this question out there, lol?
Old 08-06-2006, 03:09 PM

Re: how many more horses to pull away...

10-20rwhp would begin to pull away about a 3rd of the way down the 1/4 mile.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MeanGreen97Z
10-20rwhp would begin to pull away about a 3rd of the way down the 1/4 mile.
Yep, forgetting aero 10HP should pull ya in front all else being equal.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:50 PM

I would have to say that is a VERY broad question. SO many things matter there that you won't be able to get a straight answer for it... it's like asker what tire pressure is best (in general). To many variables to come out with one answer.

For instance: 10 hp on a 3000lb car.... or 10 hp on a 5000 lb car. Or as 1racer pointed out the aerodynamic effects of the vehicles. Suspension setup, gearing, transmission, stall speed, clutch capabilities, outside temperature, forced induction or naturally aspirated, intercooled or not, almost an endless list.

No trivia there... but it is a good excercise to get the mind working on all the different things that make your car go down the track... and what can keep it ahead of the one next to you

Jonota
Old 08-06-2006, 06:04 PM

I figured there were too many variables for a feneral question like that but I was thinking about the time I was racing my friend in his 97 camaro auto to my 97 stick. Neither one could pull and since his was an auto, guess mine was a dog, lol.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:09 PM

Not necessarily a dog. There are a ton of variables there too. Some not so generally accepted truths like the fact that a good automatic will outshift someone on a manual anyday. Additionally, our "electronic" controlled automatics can shift EXACTLY where they need to be shifted at... instead of several hundred above or below the ideal shift points. It's not necessarily going to get you the best run to push it to redline every gear. But that's something you have to play with a bit to get right.. where as the auto driver just puts his right foot down. (or HER foot for you PC folks)

Jonota
Old 08-06-2006, 06:09 PM

He could have had a recent tune up or you were in need of one. It's all about the cars actual running condition and let's not forget the driver. Not saying you cant drive a stick but not everyone can shift like Mario Andretti.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jonota
Not necessarily a dog. There are a ton of variables there too. Some not so generally accepted truths like the fact that a good automatic will outshift someone on a manual anyday. Additionally, our "electronic" controlled automatics can shift EXACTLY where they need to be shifted at... instead of several hundred above or below the ideal shift points. It's not necessarily going to get you the best run to push it to redline every gear. But that's something you have to play with a bit to get right.. where as the auto driver just puts his right foot down. (or HER foot for you PC folks)

Jonota

YOU just have never heard Mr 4 Speed,Ronnie Sox shift a super T10.
Probably not old enough to have been there in the '60's.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:03 PM

Well, the first time he ate me for lunch off the line because I was just sitting there spinning like a freak in heat. Once I double clutched it and got going, I stayed with my nose to the back of his door but neither pulled on the other, this was at night.

The next fight was driving at a 20 mile an hour roll. I heard him downshift behind me and his engine revved, I responded by dropping it into second (I was like, okay f***er, so, your on MY turf now as I was at a good roll) and launched onward. By this time, his nose was at the middle of my door, as I could see his nose in my immediate perifferal vision. Again, no one pulled on the other, it was neck and neck. This time it was mid afternoon about a week at the most later.

"YOU just have never heard Mr 4 Speed,Ronnie Sox shift a super T10.
Probably not old enough to have been there in the '60's."
Almost, but not quite, I was pooping in my diapers about then. The only racing I was doing was getting raced to the changing table
Old 08-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Banned

"YOU just have never heard Mr 4 Speed,Ronnie Sox shift a super T10.
Probably not old enough to have been there in the '60's."
Almost, but not quite, I was pooping in my diapers about then. The only racing I was doing was getting raced to the changing table
====================================

There are SOME down here that can row the boat with NO road map.