General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How Does stock SS hood work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 09:17 PM

How Does stock SS hood work?

I'm dreaming up my car for after college and looking at a 2002 Camaro SS but as I look at the engine and compare it to the hood, how does the scoop actually help at all to function as a ram-air induction? Does it just kool the engine or is it a functional ram-air hood? Any pictures with explanation greatly appreciated.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:46 PM

Re: How Does stock SS hood work?

It doesnt work at all. So when you get your SS Camaro, PM me and I'll do you a favor and swap you a regular style hood. You dont want all that water getting sucked into your engine. Ill pay shipping too.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by farfire70
I'm dreaming up my car for after college and looking at a 2002 Camaro SS but as I look at the engine and compare it to the hood, how does the scoop actually help at all to function as a ram-air induction? Does it just kool the engine or is it a functional ram-air hood? Any pictures with explanation greatly appreciated.

It doesn't really do ANYTHING. Its just like CAI basicly. Its all there for looks.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:05 AM

okay, well then what about the ram-air on the firebird, same story?
Old 11-04-2004, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by 97BBlackZ
It doesn't really do ANYTHING. Its just like CAI basicly. Its all there for looks.
Not Sure what you meant there but CAI/Lids have been dyno proven many times to add power.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:15 AM

i think he means that the "ram air" part of it isn't really effective. but it is effective as a cai.

the reason it isn't very good is because of several reasons. first being the location of the scoop. to an extent, due to aerodynamics, air is pushed up and over the hood by the nose. this leaves somewhat of a low pressure "buffer zone" if you will along the hood. so the scoop isn't really much of a scoop.
second is that the air has to enter the hood, turn 180 degrees, flow through small passeges, then turn 180 degrees again to enter the front of the air box. this is not effective.

HOWEVER
the WS6 hood is well known to flow significantly better. mainly due to better location of hte scoop, allowing more use of the natural aerodynamics of the nose to push air in. and second, the air flows nearly straight into the air box, it has some baffles to keep rain out, but other than that it is much more effective. not to mention the box on the WS6 is raised higher than the SS, which allows smoother flow into the airbox and over the filter.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:17 AM

oh yeah...here is some interesting reading with research on the SS hood acording to IAT readings
Old 11-04-2004, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by teke184
i think he means that the "ram air" part of it isn't really effective. but it is effective as a cai.

HOWEVER
the WS6 hood is well known to flow significantly better. mainly due to better location of hte scoop, allowing more use of the natural aerodynamics of the nose to push air in. and second, the air flows nearly straight into the air box, it has some baffles to keep rain out, but other than that it is much more effective. not to mention the box on the WS6 is raised higher than the SS, which allows smoother flow into the airbox and over the filter.

Yea thats what i meant. Also i've heard that about the WS6 hoods, that it does work better.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:51 AM

The LT1 SS hood actually works as a functional "ram air" . The LS1 SS hood is just a nice decoration!
Old 11-04-2004, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by LastZ4ME
You dont want all that water getting sucked into your engine.
What are you talking about?! I own an SS, and I know alot of people who also own SS's...NOONE ever has had "water sucked into their engine".
Old 11-04-2004, 12:31 PM

As for an answer on how the hood works, I own an SS, and my brother has owned a WS6 T/A (Ram Air) as well as a Firehawk.

The hood on the T/A and Firehawk offer a more direct flow of cool air into the airbox. If you looked at the underside of the hood, you would see the opening from above...when the hood is closed it offers a more direct route to the opening on the front, underside of the airbox assembly.

As for the SS, it isn't as functional. The underside of the hood is sealed. Looking at the underside, you can see how the air is channled back to the front of the hood, when it also enters the underside of the airbox assembly.

If you like the look of the SS/Ram Air hoods, stay with either one. You WON'T have any water entering your engine.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by '99 SS
What are you talking about?! I own an SS, and I know alot of people who also own SS's...NOONE ever has had "water sucked into their engine".
I was just kidding in my post. Of course it doesnt suck water into the engine.
Who wouldnt want an SS hood, I think they are the best looking incl all the weird , funky aftermarket stuff floating around on the internet.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=LastZ4ME]I was just kidding in my post. Of course it doesnt suck water into the engine.

I thought you might be joking
Old 11-08-2004, 01:45 PM

That all helped a lot. I understand a lot more about the hood and that it acts as a "ram-air" of sorty but it doesn't shove the air down the throttle body's throat like the firebird hood does. Never the less, the ss hood gives the car it's attitude and i like it.