General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How do you brake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:56 PM

Question How do you brake?

This may be a dumb question but what technique for braking is best for everyday driving? I have been told so many ways to brake I dont know what is best for saving the brakes. I dont really want to engine brake because I hear is is bad on clutches unless you heel-toe RPM match the gears. I cannot do that with my pedal placement. Right now I use a pulsating type technique but I dont know how effective it is?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:29 PM

Re: How do you brake?

Ya dont use engine/ tranny braking, just thinks what you would rather replace after wear and tear! Pulsing is only neccessary when you need to use the brakes a lot for a extended period of time, like down a hill.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:01 AM

Just don't ride em. It's very annoying to those behind you and riding with you and you have to change brakes 10 times more often, along with all the brake lights.

Anyway, I just try to drive ahead of myself. By saying that I mean, look farther ahead at what is going on. See if someone is turning, or pulling out, or just slowing down for no reason. I know most of the roads I drive on, so I can slow down before a hill or leave off the fuel a little while before I turn and so forth. Just use your head a bit and you'll figure it out.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:00 AM

I just hit my brakes....

why would u pulse them for daily driving? Or even heel-toe driving?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:15 PM

Pulse braking is normally only used in an emergency, or when road conditions are slippery. It allows you to maintain steering control. And only in cars without ABS. ABS does the pulsing for you, so you don't need to.

If you want to conserve you brakes simply leave a little extra room, when possible, between you and the guy in front of you and let the engine do most of the slowing, then gently brake to a stop. In other words, use your brakes as little as possible. In "normal" driving engine braking is NOT harmful to any component.

I must admit I'm a little confused. Unless your threshold braking at every stop this really should not be a problem. How often are you changing brake pads. I drive aggressively, and I haven't changed mine in three years.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:10 PM

Well I just was confused. I dont like pulsate really hard or really fast. My dad just always taught me to brake like that. I was just wondering what you guys do. I havent changed pads yet since Ive owned that car (6 months).
Old 03-02-2006, 08:11 AM

Good thread man.
Interested cuz I bought my Camaro Jan 05, and have replaced the rotors twice from being warped and am getting ready to do it again.
I drive a lot, 800 mile round trip every weekend, plus the daily grind.
Is this normal? The warping I mean.
BTW, not meaning to jack your thread man, just hoping for clarification.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by jtblckmaro
Good thread man.
Interested cuz I bought my Camaro Jan 05, and have replaced the rotors twice from being warped and am getting ready to do it again.
Are you the type of driver that rides close behind other drivers, therefore causing you to brake alot? Or maybe you're not a very agressive driver and do not change lanes often to prevent braking for stopped or slow moving traffic. (People turning on to streets and stuff) My buddy is a very passive driver (will not change lanes for anything) which means he has to brake continually, especially during city driving. His rotors have warped many times over the past 2 years, not to mention toasted brake pads.

I myself have never warped rotors on any of my vehicles. I do a good amount of city driving also. Not saying fbody rotors are perfect but alot of it i think is cased by the driver.

Last edited by sabre81; 03-02-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by jtblckmaro
Good thread man.
There is a lot of evidents that there is an incompatibility between the rotor material and the pads on stock 4th Gen. brakes. Way to many people are having this problem. The purchased of after market rotors has fixed this for every one I know. There are many on E-Bay at reasonable prices.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by sabre81
Are you the type of driver that rides close behind other drivers, therefore causing you to brake alot? Or maybe you're not a very agressive driver and do not change lanes often to prevent braking for stopped or slow moving traffic. (People turning on to streets and stuff) My buddy is a very passive driver (will not change lanes for anything) which means he has to brake continually, especially during city driving. His rotors have warped many times over the past 2 years, not to mention toasted brake pads.

I myself have never warped rotors on any of my vehicles. I do a good amount of city driving also. Not saying fbody rotors are perfect but alot of it i think is cased by the driver.
No, to all the above. Actually more to the contrary. I don't like to slow down if I don't have to, so I'll shift lanes to avoid most traffic. When unavoidable, i'll just let off the gas and coast to whatever speed I need to be at. And when I come to a red light, same. I let off the gas as soon as it's evident that I'll be stopping.
However, there is one stretch of my weekend drive that is a severe downhill grade. About 5 miles of it, and I do have to use the brakes 'cuz nobody seems to be able to keep the left lane clear. So I do brake there, but it's intermittant. I purposely brake, cool, brake, cool. And it's a pretty good cooling period between brakings. Maybe it's not enough of a cool down period?

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
There is a lot of evidents that there is an incompatibility between the rotor material and the pads on stock 4th Gen. brakes. Way to many people are having this problem. The purchased of after market rotors has fixed this for every one I know. There are many on E-Bay at reasonable prices.
Cool. I'll definitely look into that. Thanks alot!

Last edited by jtblckmaro; 03-02-2006 at 12:50 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-02-2006, 12:52 PM

Had my first Camaro for 3 years, and there was plenty of pad left when I sold it. No probs yet with the first year of my Z either. And engine braking isn't really that hard on anything, just blip the throttle a little right before releasing the clutch, and it's not much of a problem. I do it all the time, love to hear the exhaust burble when I do it
Old 03-02-2006, 01:08 PM

Key concepts: look ahead, smooth and consistant.. then speed and dropping laptimes will naturally follow. Be aware of the environment(road, conditions, signs, other cars), and what your car is doing/what you are asking your car to do.

Take a high performance driving school/car control.. Try out some autox too. and other forms of motorsports. It really does make you into a better driver, off and on the roadcourse.

I heel and toe everyday, caues its fun and sounds cool.. Also, it gives the benfit of being in the right gear while you are braking.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:10 PM

First, tell your dad to stop that pulse braking. I don't know what's worse when riding with someone, pulse braking or that "i can't maintain a constant speed because my throttle control sucks", you know what i mean? The smoother and the softer you brake, the better for pad and rotor life.

Second, rotor warping. There is no such thing as a "warped" rotor. It's a myth. Unfortunately, there are lots of myths and ideas about brakes in general (the cross drilled and slotted one is a good one). The common explanation of what a "warped" rotor is is very easy to understand, therefore many people have spread that idea around to average Joe and Jane Driver who don't know the difference. It's to the point now that everyone just accepts it as fact. Understanding what a "warped" rotor is and, more importantly, what causes it will help you prevent it. Read this: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

P.S. One thing this article does not discuss, is that tightening the lug nuts on the wheel improperly may lead to a "warped" feel in the pedal. Always use the star method and a proper torque wrench! Do NOT use an impact gun!

Last edited by wdtiger; 03-02-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:40 PM

As for the warped rotor issue... torque the lugnuts to the correct specification, don't "feel" it out, actually use a torque wrench and do it in the correct pattern skipping a nut every time. This makes a HUGE difference when it comes to "warped" rotors. Also, if it is a LT1 car... then the brakes are way undersized and prone to overheating and warping if there is a lot of heavy braking done.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ken S
I heel and toe everyday, caues its fun and sounds cool.. Also, it gives the benfit of being in the right gear while you are braking.
I cant seem to heel-toe with my pedals. My brake and clutch are about even and my gas pedal is too far ahead to get a feel for both the gas and brake. I was under the assumption that heel-toe braking is effective only if you match the rpm's right on downshifting. This way you do not wear on the clutch so much and you can use your engine to help you brake. Therefore helping you to use your brakes less.

Quick Reply: How do you brake?