General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How do I know if my opti is going on me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 11:33 PM

How do I know if my opti is going on me?

Car seems to run fine with a few exceptions. #1, when I start it up it doesn't seem to have any "crank to it". Like the engine turns really easy and is getting no spark. Haven't had an issue with starting other than sometimes taking a little longer than I feel it should to start. Also #2 I have the horrible surging idle, but it's usually much worse when the car is cold. I have a ripped intake elbow and although I wouldn't be suprized this was the culprit I think I have the rip pretty much under control so if their is a vacuum leak it can't be much. Plus I feel my car is seriously underpowered. It's not slow, don't get me wrong,but I had an issue in another post about how my buddies basically stock 95' TA with only FM exhaust and ram air hood took me out of the hole and all the way up to about 80mph until I finally started inching past him. That still irks me btw. Somehow the car just doesn't seem as fast to me as it should with mods I have(in the sig.). I know I don't have any huge hp mods but the car just feels like something is holding it back. Again it runs fine as far as I can tell, but just seems slow. Has had a complete tuneup of plugs,wires,PCV,fuel filter only about 2k miles ago. I have checked all the plug wires and see no burns or any other problems with them. Could an original opti(with about 115k on it) be just dying on me and robbing me of power? Or any other ideas as to what's going on with my baby. I plan to do a H/C setup over the winter with a few other mods and I don't want to be wasting my time if something's actually wrong with my motor. Oh and as I've been saying for months now the LT headers will go in before the end of this season whenever I actually get the time. One more thing, I read a post where a guy thought his car was running slower than it should and found out he was only running on 7 cylinders, how do I check that? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:41 PM

Re: How do I know if my opti is going on me?

ttt anyone have any input
Old 08-19-2004, 10:34 PM

fuel pump? maybe...? i have no clue about the opti checking thing though
Old 08-20-2004, 10:38 PM

I thought my fuel pump was going on me a couple years back, but have never had issues with it since so never checked into it(kinda like it fixed itself lol). I've been considering. Do you guys think it's possibly a fuel issue? The pump is still working, but possibly just enough to keep the car running alright. It's pushing inadequate amounts of fuel so the car is being held back maybe? I guess I need to get a regulater and guage to find out if that's my problem. It seems like it's something related to either of these two problems.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:58 AM

Sounds like when my fuel pump went on me. Does it start better with a full tank? When my opti went there was no confusion. Stuttering, flashing SES. Very bad not just kinda weak.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jay-Roll
Could an original opti(with about 115k on it) be just dying on me
Its time to change it regardless. It may not be your immediate problem but it is living on borrowed time.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:25 PM

when my opti went on my 95, i had horrible surging under acceleration, never any problems with starting though.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:06 PM

Haven't had any surging on acceleration. Only when I let off the gas and I'm slowing down and either not existant or not noticable once the car is warmed up.
Not sure about the car starting when the tank is full. I'll have to watch that one. Never really noticed before.
Also I know the opti is probably limited on life but "if it ain't broke don't fix it" motto is in effect for me here. If it lasts me another 10 thousand miles than I'm that much better off. Don't really wanna spend the extra cash for something that potentially isn't broken.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'd like to hear more on the fuel pump issue if anyone else has ideas.