General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

HELP-Its hot and no A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 06:50 PM

Exclamation HELP-Its hot and no A/C

I cant seem to chase down the fix for my AC. If I take out the relay and jump the terminals it turns on fine. I got a new relay and no luck. I used a test light and there are two hot terminals when the ignition is on and the ac switch is off. When I turn the ac switch on, no other terminals light up. That made me think that the relay isnt getting juice. I checked for any fuses that have to do with that and I can find no bad ones. Any of you guys have an idea. I looked on shoebox's site and that wiring stuff is greek to me. Please help, its getting up to 97 here in NE and I cant stand being without ac. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:30 PM

Re: HELP-Its hot and no A/C

Ok, I read on another thread that if you unhook the battery and reset the computer, it might work. Well I did that, and when I hooked up the battery it worked for a while but then just started cycling on and off every 30 seconds or so. What would cause this. I guess this eliminates a wiring problem and mechanical problem. I was wondering if there is some kind of sensor or something now. What would cause it to cycle on and off like that and why did resetting the computer at least get it to work partially.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:54 AM

Is the system fully charged? If it is running low the compressor usually turns off to prevent damage from running w/o anything in it. Although it might have some in the system, make sure there is enough in it. Since you haven't mentioned anything about having a fully charged AC system, I'd think that is the problem first. If that is low, then that would mean there is a leak, maybe really small, but a leak somewhere if some coolant has escaped the system.

Try one of those "top off" kits they sell. You may just be borderline on the coolant or something? Only $10-$15.

Nick
Old 05-23-2005, 06:32 AM

I bought one of those kits and the gauge says I am well within the full part of the gauge. It says not to add if I am where mine reads. So I am thinking that thats not my problem. Any other ideas???? How well do those gauges work on those top off kits???
Old 05-23-2005, 07:00 AM

There is also a low pressure shutoff switch on the low pressure side that you might want to check into, sometimes they go bad. Although it might not explain the cycling on/off after computer reset.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:07 AM

Is it impossible to check it accurately with that little gauge on the refill bottles??? What causes the system to cycle, or I guess a better question is, what does that low pressure sensor control? This thing is really confusing me and it is getting freaking hot here.

Also, if its my refrigerant pressure sensor, it looks like if I take that out to replace it, I will lose all my refrigerant. Is that true??? If so, that sucks. I looked on shoebox's site and found the sensor and it looks like taking that out would leak everything out. Maybe I dont know what I am talking about, thats highly likely.

Last edited by Z28Boss; 05-23-2005 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Boss
Is it impossible to check it accurately with that little gauge on the refill bottles??? What causes the system to cycle, or I guess a better question is, what does that low pressure sensor control? This thing is really confusing me and it is getting freaking hot here.

Also, if its my refrigerant pressure sensor, it looks like if I take that out to replace it, I will lose all my refrigerant. Is that true??? If so, that sucks. I looked on shoebox's site and found the sensor and it looks like taking that out would leak everything out. Maybe I dont know what I am talking about, thats highly likely.
I know I would never trust any of those guages on the bottle, you need to get ahold of some manifold guages to check the low and high pressure side and post the results. Is this the first time you have had trouble with the AC?

What I see alot of people doing these days is buying cans of stop leak and what ever else has good marketing lables on them, and putting them in there cars. Well those cans have an couple of ounces of oil in them. Before you know it the ac sucks and you have all kinds of problems. An AC system requires a certain amount of oil and refergerent to much of one or the other is not good and will cause problems. I went to two different auto stores trying to buy pure 134A and they did not have any. Finally I went to autozone and they only had some in the back.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:32 AM

I had a very similar problem with my AC, and I still haven't gotten it fixed cuz its so damn expensive. My compressor went out and for a new one and all the various parts that go with it plus install, its gonna be $1200. It sounds like you might have the same symptoms as my car did.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:20 AM

No, the compressor runs fine, but I have to make it run by jumping terminals. It wont run automatically. Also, last night I drove 45 min and it ran fine. Today I drove 15 min and it never worked. On the 15 min drive back home, it worked fine again. What the heck is going on with this thing!?!?!?!?!